Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
brady_44
Sports Enthusiast

brady_44 is on a distinguished road
Default Phoenix Suns

I haven't had a chance to look around here much yet, but what's the deal with the Suns this year? I thought with Amare back they would compete for the championship. Not looking so hot thus far. Although I was at the home opener where they beat the LA Clippers
brady_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I've been lucky enough to see two Suns games from a suite at US Airways arena this year and they don't seem to have hit their stride yet. I think it will be close with the Clippers in the west, but Amare is no where near the player he was pre-surgery and if he cannot find some of that old form, the Suns will bow out of the playoffs early once again.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I have wondered a bit about the Suns myself this year. One would have thought they would have slipped up last year and having Amare this year would be a bonus. But, it kind of looks as though maybe Bell and Diaw had their career years last year and are back to fading into the background.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

How much do you guys think Amare's play is hurting or helping the Suns? A lot of people have suggested that bringing along Amare (basically playtime equals rehab for him at this point) has hurt the Suns' fast pace offense, especially of Diaw and Bell.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot View Post
I've been lucky enough to see two Suns games from a suite at US Airways arena this year and they don't seem to have hit their stride yet. I think it will be close with the Clippers in the west, but Amare is no where near the player he was pre-surgery and if he cannot find some of that old form, the Suns will bow out of the playoffs early once again.
Nailed it, Pimpbot. Having a hindered Amare is proving to be more trouble than last season's situation where they could just gameplan with the knowledge that Amare's out. But with him healthy, there's an obligation to integrate him as a focal point of the offense and until he gets back to old form, it's going to be a problem for them.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
brady_44
Sports Enthusiast

Ya, those were basically my thoughts on things as well. I think integrating him back into the system may take a while. I just hope they can put a few wins together and get their swagger back.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
hero in a dream
Rookie Player

hero in a dream is on a distinguished road

Last year was a slow start for the Suns as well. It's a running offense, it has to gel over time.
hero in a dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #8
brady_44
Sports Enthusiast

True. I don't want to make excuses for how they played early, but I do think the new ball made a big difference in their offense. Now that they are used to not getting as many fast breaks, and Nash can hold onto it, they are looking much better.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

Nash will get his 3rd MVP this year..Call it a gut feeling
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
Nash will get his 3rd MVP this year..Call it a gut feeling
God the thought makes me sick to my stomach. Jordan never won three consecutive MVPs. Neither did Magic. Nor did Oscar Robertson. But I wouldn't doubt it.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane View Post
God the thought makes me sick to my stomach. Jordan never won three consecutive MVPs. Neither did Magic. Nor did Oscar Robertson. But I wouldn't doubt it.
That mere fact may be what keeps him from winning three straight. I'd say it is pretty wide open right now. But, if the Lakers manage to win 55 games this year, which they are on pace to do, Kobe will probably win it in a landslide.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote