Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Suspended for 6 games: Roethlisberger suspended six games, must get behavioral evaluation - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Hmm. I don't know if he's really innocent, but he hasn't been found guilty of anything, how can you punish him really?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #32
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Because everybody admitted he took a college girl into the bathroom and did something with her in there. They just APPARENTLY couldn't prove that he actually sexually assaulted her.

However, the NFL doesn't need the man to be guilty of jack crap, the commish just needed to prove he broke the Player Conduct Policy, and he did, i suppose.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #33
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

They can't prove it because the key witness for the prosecution was drunk out of her mind when it allegedly happened.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #34
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Suspended for 6 games: Roethlisberger suspended six games, must get behavioral evaluation - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Hmm. I don't know if he's really innocent, but he hasn't been found guilty of anything, how can you punish him really?
Same thing as Pac-Man, really. He was never convicted of anything, either.

Ben's lawyer wrote a letter to the Commissioner essentially arguing that being a good football player and a decent person are mutually exclusive:
Quote:
"(Roethlisberger's) passion for football and the remarkable success resulting from his commitment to the game necessarily means that he has compromised his development in other areas. No person has unlimited capacity.''
Yeah, I've noticed Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning keep getting hit with rape charges, driving without a license, etc. Those guys really give the sport a bad name.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Man behaving badly: SI details lewd, crude Roethlisberger - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Oh Ben Rothelisburger how much of a jerk are you really?

The sad thing is how long it took for all this to come out. :thumbdown: STOP PROTECTING ATHLETES WHO SCREW UP! He won a superbowl, so he's safe, if he played for, I don't know, Detroit, he'd be in jail. Am I completely off base saying that?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #36
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
This stuff has been bubbling under the surface for a while now. The thing is he plays in Pittsburgh and is not hanging out in places where there is a lot of papparazzi and the like so stuff does not get out there as quickly. If he played somewhere like Miami, NY, Philly, etc. he probably would have been outed for being a douche long before now.

When rumors of the Steelers looking to deal him started making the rounds everyone started saying there is more to this than the bar incident in Ga. They have known for a while how much of a scum bag he really is.

Quote:
The sad thing is how long it took for all this to come out. :thumbdown: STOP PROTECTING ATHLETES WHO SCREW UP! He won a superbowl, so he's safe, if he played for, I don't know, Detroit, he'd be in jail. Am I completely off base saying that?
I don't know about that. I mean your prime witness was hammered at the time the alleged incident happened. They have no real physcial evidence nor a credible witness who was sober at the time. The Sheriff and the DA know that all they really have is circumstantial evidence and witnesses that a decent lawyer could discredit by establishing the fact they were not sober at the time of the incident.

The DA wanted to drop the hammer on this guy but knew his case was extremely weak without a credible witness or concrete physical evidence.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #37
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

True, he doesn't play in a major media city like NY, but he does play for one of the greatest NFL franchises. You'd think someone would have figured all this out and said something about it by now. I mean almost everyday on Sportscenter somebody is being portrayed for their douchebaggery, or getting arrested again.

And it's true, there wasn't much evidence, but Ben admits he took the girl into the bathroom, his bodyguard admits something happened in there. The prime witnesses were hammered, but their credibility can't be questioned WHEN people close to Ben, and Ben himself have admitted that at least some of their details are fact. If it was any normal person the case would have at least gone to trial.
For instance if it was me, it would have gone to trial. And I probably would have been convicted even with just circumstantial evidence.
But Ben is protected by his high power attorneys and his superstar "do you know who I am status"

Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #38
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Unless the DA was just putting on a show for the cameras I don't think he is being "protected" by anyone. Go back and listen to what ESPN's legal experts said when the DA chose to not move forward with the case. They were pretty unanimous in saying the DA dropped it because he did not have enough to gain a conviction.

Sure he plays for a big time franchise but he is not hanging out where other celebs tend to hang out. He is not going to NY, South Beach, or Vegas he is going to Milledge, GA and Reno.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #39
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

So do you think if it had been me or you, in the same situation, the DA would have still dropped the case?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #40
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Some are suggesting that the DA didn't prosecute for purely political reasons - as in he wouldn't mind getting re-elected, and handing the left a propaganda coup in a presumably conservative county in the Deep South is not the way to go about securing said re-election.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #41
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

NAR, I think you're right in principle: athletes, particularly those who are successful and/or white, often get undeserved legal breaks. I haven't followed this case closely, because [1] it's revolting and [2] celebrity gossip isn't my thing, but doublee is probably right that in this case Ben isn't facing criminal prosecution for other reasons.

It's also worth pointing out that sometimes celebrities get unfairly targeted by prosecutors looking to make a name for themselves. Anyway, I think you're right in general but probably not in this particular case.

I think we can all agree that Big Ben is a sleazebag.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #42
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

For sure, this case was extremely revolting, but not to be outdone, another NFL player took all the limelight off Big Ben with an even more revolting case.

Oh lucky sleazebag Ben.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #43
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Looks like Big Ben's camp is pushing for a reduction in his 6-game suspension:
Sources: Ben Roethlisberger to ask NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to reduce suspension - ESPN

He hasn't been charged for anything. Fair? Justified? I think 3 games would be.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #44
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

make it 16...I just don't think reducing it is good for Goodell and his no nonsense policy tho, its a bad idea and its unjustified

Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #45
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
make it 16...I just don't think reducing it is good for Goodell and his no nonsense policy tho, its a bad idea and its unjustified

Do I hear 18?

Real soon, we will.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote