Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #16
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road

So true Luke, Schiavone herself was just as shocked as anyone else. That must have hurt Dementieva really bad because this was definitely her one big chance to win a Slam.

The other semifinal match was also anti-climactic. Talk about the difference in the value of a Thursday ticket to women's semifinals versus a Friday ticket to the two men's semifinals!!

Hopefully, tomorrow 's women's finals will be close and exciting. At a first glance, both women play exciting styles, but we will see. Hard to predict because the two finalists are surprise finalists themselves.

Mert E.
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Oh my. Schiavone has always been a good clay-courter, but I absolutely did not see her winning Roland Garros. Lots of upsets this year.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
Mertov
All-Star Player

She may pull a Gaudio/Costa/Gomez/Johansson and decline fast in the next two years. These types of players usually know it will never happen again and feel like they have already overachieved. The question is will Schiavone experience the same type of "fulfilled letdown". We'll see, but Brad you are absolutely right, nobody saw this coming.

Let's see if Soderling can make a match out of tomorrow's final.

Mert
Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #19
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road

Schiavone was fantastic in the final. She was very aggressive, particularly with her returning early on in games to lay down her marker for the rest of the game. She never really let Stosur play her game.

I would be surprised if she goes on to do anything else spectacular in her career, but right now I don't think she really cares about that.

I only hope Stosur can bounce back from this loss, especially since she went in as the favourite and never really had control of the match at any point. Hopefully she can look back on the French Open in a few days time and remember she is the player who beat three former No.1's. She's proven she's got the game, so hopefully she can put this behind her.

I'm going to say Nadal will win in four sets. If the weather isn't as hot as it was on Friday, and I don't think it will be then Soderling will have more of a chance and perhaps he could nick another set, but I still see Rafa winning. I expect the sets to be quite tight as well, maybe a couple of tie-breaks in there.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Mertov
All-Star Player

Nadal gets the trophy. In the second set, he played the best defense that I have ever seen anyone play. Soderling played amazing for about 1 hour (from 3-2 in the first set to 5-2 in the second set) and Nadal outclassed him nevertheless. Congratulations to Nadal!

Mert E.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Nadal was awesome. Soderling threw everything at him. The power he was getting on some shots was incredible, especially since he was taking the ball before it had started to come down. Sometimes he was ripping the ball from above his head. It was crazy, and perhaps more crazy was the fact Nadal got everything back.

It's matches like that that make the loser look worse than they was when you see a stat like "unforced errors." A lot of Soderling's errors were forced because Nadal was getting everything back, so Soderling he had to go for more and consequently made more errors.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #22
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Hell of a match from Nadal. His mental edge is amazing. I don't think there's much doubt he's in Federer's head, and about halfway through the second set, Soderling just seemed to drop off a notch and never recover.

Rafa's defense was unbelievable. Is he the favorite for Wimbledon? I wouldn't want to bet against him.

The men's game looks very deep right now: Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Soderling, Del Potro, Roddick...
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

I agree, Brad, on the depth thing. Although I think the Tour misses del Potro a little, so I hope when he gets back he will be able to get somewhere near the standard he was at.

I think Federer has to be favourite for Wimbledon, doesn't he? I wouldn't bet against him, but then I'm not sure I would bet against Nadal either. Out of the others I can only see Roddick coming close to those two.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Sports Guru
Banned

Sports Guru is on a distinguished road

Eventually the French open clay court fever has come to its end. Refael Nadal has taken the revenge, Soldering after a boring conest was down, and the clay court king got his title back and now the ranking has been shuffled, Nadal on top.
Sports Guru is offline   Reply With Quote