Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 02-20-2005, 07:09 AM   #16
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

AH HA! i knew i saw it somewhere, and heard it last year....the dunk contest is limited to players who are in their first 3 years in the NBA.

Quote:
The abomination known as the spinning wheel didn't work. Neither does this Rising Stars stuff where only dunkers with three years or fewer of NBA service are invited to thrill us.
heres the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allsta...arc&id=1994898
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #17
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

That dunk competition was the WORST in the last 3 years. And every year whoever that is (Barkley?) says it's "back" (...and I have the video of last year's dunk competition on my computer to prove it). Did he have a blindfold on yesterday, it was HORRIBLE!? Who decided to put a white guy in it, that's what I want to know, 'cuz he SUCKED HARD. The one and only good thing about the dunk competition yesterday was Steve Nash. That's the only thing because it provided some comic relief.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:43 AM   #18
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed it. Chris Anderson stunk it up, but the other guys were decent.. For me it was a tie between Josh Smith's over Kenyon Martin dunk and Amare Stoudemire's alley-oop off of Nash's head as the best dunks of the show, but since Amare royally screwed up his between-the-legs reverse jam, he fell a little short..

and it's easy to see why the smaller guys fare better than guys like Amare: it just looks more spectacular to see a guy hanging in the air much longer. What's more exciting- watching Yao Ming hardly leave the floor when dunking, or Spud Webb flying unnaturally through the air?

I really enjoyed Josh Smith's performance; the award was well-deserved, but the guy had a damn poker face the whole time.. at least crack a smile when they hand you the award, dude!
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #19
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by lmanchur.
That dunk competition was the WORST in the last 3 years. And every year whoever that is (Barkley?) says it's "back" (...and I have the video of last year's dunk competition on my computer to prove it).
Ha, I thought the same thing. Every year someone (is it Magic every year? I know Magic Johnson was the one yelling it this year) is yelling that the slam dunk is back and it doesn't matter who is in it. That's the best part of the slam dunk contest.

They need to mix up the scoring a bit. Tell guys to give out some 5s and 6s. Make 50 a special score.

JR Smith's first dunk was pretty good though.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #20
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Some of the dunks were good, but nothing spectacular (except for Nash's header and foot pass to Amare, very creative). The best part of the night though was the commentary!

'Here's the TNT Total Motion camera featuring Josh Smith!'
Charles Barkley: That's a total waste of money too.

Chris Andersen missing his dunks...
Kenny Smith: Chris Andersen has more air time then the T.V show Friends.

Chris Andersen missing some more dunks...
Dr. J: I was just going to go check their record down in New Orleans...

Nash's header pass to Amare...
Kenny Smith: STEVE NASH IS THE MVP! STEVE NASH FOR MVP! STEVE NASH FOR MVP! THAT'S OFF THE HOOK!

Josh Smith bringing out the Retro Wilkins jersey...
Kenny Smith: HE'S BRINGING BACK THE DOMINIQUE, HE'S KILLING ME RIGHT NOW! HE'S KILLING ME RIGHT NOW!
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #21
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

yea, the dunk contest was the worst in a while. and i agree i liked the commentary last night, it was real funny.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #22
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Commentary was hilarious. Remember when they started talking about Snickers bars? Lol.

The judges definitely need to stop inflating dunk scores. If Josh Smith had 3 50's, then 2000 Vince had 426625 points.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #23
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

If any of you guys catched it on ESPN CLassic they had an All Star Weekend special and they were re running old dunk contests. They showed the 88 one where Jordan won. ALso Spudd Webb 5 7 135 puonds im bigger then him and the dude was in the NBA wining dunk contests. The real All Star weekend was ok but watchin the old school ones was great.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote