Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #1
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

niners80 is on a distinguished road
Default Matt Jones

Hello everyone!!! I'm new here, just signed up. I'm a diehard football fan and one player who has caught my attention this year so far is rookie Matt Jones of the Jaguars. I was a Jerry Rice fan all my life and now with his retirement, I think I have found a new player to really pull for. This guy is just something I've never seen before. I've never seen someon 6'6 242 run the way he does, explode off the line like he does, or have the type of agility that he has. I really think he was the steal of the 2005 NFL Draft. The way Jones has transitioned from QB to WR has really surprised me and has earned my respect. The guy has been playing the position only since the Senior Bowl and he looks like a bonified No.2 Receiver to me. I really wish he would have fell to pick No. 33 to the 49ers but I just wanted to see how everyone else felt about this guy and what you think his future looks like? I'd say he is going to be a force for the next 10-12 years and maybe longer, just due to his strength, size, and intangibles. Any thoughts on Matt Jones, I'd love to hear from the community.
niners80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:28 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the boards, niners80!:wavey:

So far as Matt Jones goes: Someone needs to step up at the offensive skill positions for the Jaguars with both Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor being so old - but Jacksonville still looks to be pretty far down the list of contenders in the talent-rich AFC this season.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

you cant really assume a guy is going to last a dozen years in the NFL. he is a rookie and hasn't proved anything yet to get that kind of praise.

the good news is that w/ Jimmy Smith dropping passes in preseason and starting to look his age the Jags are going to be looking for other options this season. but don't forget last year's first round pick Reggie Williams. Jones is going to pass him to become the team's number two wideout.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

I base my prediction of a long and prosperous career for Matt Jones off his physical ability and the tools he has right now on purely athletic instinct. What I'm pointing out is that based on athletic ability alone, this guy is going to be a start. But all hardcore NFL fans know that you have to possess the mental skills to be a standout in the NFL. Understanding your position, knowing how to read a DB, how to approach your route, and studying your opponent. I think Matt Jones is 50% there. I'm just pointing out that his work ethic and attitude will dictate where his potential takes him. So when I say that a guy can thrive in the league for that amount of time, I'm saying that I think thats where he can be 10-12 years from now and thats a No.1 standout receiver.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Drew Bennett is another college QB turned NFL wide reciever but without all the hype. he was a walk-on at UCLA, went undrafted, and then was signed off the street by the Titans.

everyone has athletic ability in the NFL or they wouldn't be there.

i wonder where Jones would have gone in the draft had the Jags passed on him. drafting a guy in the first round for a postition he hasn't played very often is a risky pick, not to mention an expensive one.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

Jones is just I feel somewhat different from the norm.......I'm not comparing him to past QB's turned receivers because I don't feel you can compare him to anyone............If you watched the draft live on ESPN, Chris Mortensen indicated that many teams, including the Eagles attempted to trade up to make a run at Jones. If you want to get into failures and successes at this trend of turning a QB into a receiver, sure it didn't work out for guys like Eric Crouch...........but I see Ron Curry and Antwawn Randle-El as productive pros. Also, Drew Bennett is a very productive pro right now in Tennessee with 80 catches last year for 1200+ yds and 11 TD's.........Jones has more speed than Bennett, more power, and is 242lbs compared to Bennett's 205........I definitely compare him to Bennett though as far as transition to the position.............good discussion though we will definitely have to wait and see.

Last edited by niners80; 09-08-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

If i were a betting man, i'd bet Jones is a starter for a long time in the NFL...
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

If I were a betting man, I'd bet Jones is a starter for a long time in NFL-Europe.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
If I were a betting man, I'd bet Jones is a starter for a long time in NFL-Europe.

And you would appear to have history on your side.

Remember Michael Jackson? Not the King of Pop, but rather the King of Flop: A near-6'5" wide receiver with 4.25 speed whose star burned brightly for a very short time for the Browns/Ravens in the mid-'90s, but then he dropped completely off the map.

Other players with seemingly awesome size-speed ratios who didn't live up to their billing include Seattle's Alex Bannister, who hasn't been able to win a job outside of the Seahawks' special teams, and Onome Ojo, a supposed 5th-round "steal" for the Saints a few years back who has also gone missing in action (and both of these players, like Jackson, were wide receivers).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

It's Matt Jones' catching ability that has me more excited than his speed. The route running is what's going to be the difference between him becoming Alex Bannister vs. Randy Moss... we'll see how it goes
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy D
It's Matt Jones' catching ability that has me more excited than his speed. The route running is what's going to be the difference between him becoming Alex Bannister vs. Randy Moss... we'll see how it goes
I'm assuming hyberbole here, but just to clear things up....there's absolutely no chance of him becoming anywhere close to Randy Moss.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

In case anyone is interested Jones had more rushing (28) than recieving yards (22) yesterday.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #13
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

Well, #3 overall pick Braylon Edwards had 2 grabs for 17 yards, Troy Williamson #7 overall of the Vikings was Blanked, Mike Williams #11 overall had one catch, and Eagles Top WR Pick Reggie Brown had one catch.............Looks to me like Jones was just as or maybe even more productive than some of these other top rookies.....In due time these guys will all be great players, fans today just have no patience.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
Drew Bennett is another college QB turned NFL wide reciever but without all the hype.
Reminds me of Hines Ward. If i remember correctly, he dropped 400 yds on Clemson in his last game at UGA in the Peach Bowl.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #15
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

Absolutely right Mike, and I also wanted to point out that another guy who has some potential is Arnez Battle of the 49ers a QB turned WR/KR/PR out of Notre Dame. Battle had an excellent game against the Rams on Sunday. Obviously not at the level of a Hines Ward or Drew Bennett, but a name worth mentioning I think