Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #31
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Your right Ricky. Something must be done for walk ons.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #32
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256
Your right Ricky. Something must be done for walk ons.
Yea, considering since they got in on their own merit and not because of football they can quit football and get a degree...as well as a job.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #33
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

I have always been in favor of a stipend for every athlete of like two to five hundred per month, with what the programs are making that should be affordable. I would also be in favor of seeing them allow juniors and seniors to sign shoe (etc) contracts as a way of keepingthem in school.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #34
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I guess if college athletes are paid, then we should also pay high-schoolers, middle-schoolers, pee-wees, when does it end? And if you pay college football players, how do you determine what other athletes to pay?

Look, getting a free education and the chance to make millions as a pro if you're good is enough. They have to pay their dues ... and again, it's not like they're slaves out there. The whole point of collegiate athletics is they are amateurs who are not paid. If you pay them, college becomes the minor leagues, a subpar NFL.

No one should feel sorry for college football players. Free education, housing, they are rock stars on campus ... the list goes on. This idea is absurd. Why are we in a rush to sign them with endorsements and pay them? That time will come. Let them be college students first.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #35
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
I have always been in favor of a stipend for every athlete of like two to five hundred per month, with what the programs are making that should be affordable. I would also be in favor of seeing them allow juniors and seniors to sign shoe (etc) contracts as a way of keepingthem in school.
Again, it just isn't affordable. Most athletic departments struggle to break even or turn a profit. The numbers just aren't there. In order to do it they would have to cut out a large number of non-revenue generating sports to do so.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #36
eric
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Again, it just isn't affordable. Most athletic departments struggle to break even or turn a profit. The numbers just aren't there. In order to do it they would have to cut out a large number of non-revenue generating sports to do so.
Teams in conf like the SEC.Big 10, Big 12, etc make huge amounts of money from marketing uniforms etc, the number 1 jersey at Michigan makes a small fortune alone, there is money available, however much of that money at bigger schools is taken by the University itself and used for non-athletic spending. The NCAA is also taking a huge chucnk as an administrative body, much more than they deserve.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #37
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Okay let's look at this way then. In order to do this you will likely need at least $1,000,000 per academic year to fund these athletes. In the 2004/05 academic year only five out of 11 teams in the Big Ten (Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Michigan State) made a profit of more than one million dollars. Penn State and Ohio State turned profits of $566,824 and $120,673 respectively while Northwestern broke even. The rest of the schools lost money operating its athletic departments. Based on those numbers over half of the schools in the Big Ten could not afford such an endeavor.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...dsports-01.asp
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #38
eric
Grizzled Veteran

I respect your figures, but out of the revenue side of the schools how much was paid out to the NCAA? And unless I am mistaken the marketing money (made directly from the reps of the players) doesn't go into the AD it goes tothe General fund. I fully understand your point, it is my conetention that the money is there just disguised as something else.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #39
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Ohio State has the largest budget in the nation and their AD is separate from the general fund.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #40
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
I respect your figures, but out of the revenue side of the schools how much was paid out to the NCAA? And unless I am mistaken the marketing money (made directly from the reps of the players) doesn't go into the AD it goes tothe General fund. I fully understand your point, it is my conetention that the money is there just disguised as something else.
So, then, if I am reading this right you are in favor of taking monies from other students who are actually there trying to get a degree so some athletes, half of which have no interest in getting a degree, some pocket money?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #41
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Doublee, I think, and I may be wrong here, that he means the NCAA is getting a lot of profit from the schools athletic depts. I dunno if I am translating correctly though.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #42
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Partially he is, but he also made a reference to marketing money that goes to the general fund as opposed to the AD, so I am guessing that he is saying that money should go to funding athletics as opposed to going to fund programs for the student population as a whole.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #43
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

No - They are getting a free education........
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #44
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Short n' sweet eh Sue?

Hey, you didn't comment in my Big Ten predictions thread. What gives? Jealous of our greatness?

BTW...December 23 in college basketball: Ohio State at Florida. Of course we gotta go down there....but we'll still kick your ass.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #45
eric
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Partially he is, but he also made a reference to marketing money that goes to the general fund as opposed to the AD, so I am guessing that he is saying that money should go to funding athletics as opposed to going to fund programs for the student population as a whole.

That is because without the Athletic Department there wouldn't be any marketing money, I can't see a lot of folks buyinh a sweatshirt that say GO PSYCH DEPARTMENT. If they generate the income the should be allowed to keep it. Now I also understand that the University is giving them a place to play and an education, but let's face it a football and basketball program exists main to create income. If it was just to promote good sportsmanship and offer a physical outlet for the students we wouldn't need, conferences, scores or100,000 seat stadiums.
The only reason to pay a small stipend to athletes is because they (by NCAA rules) aren't allowed to work or to accept any gifts. As long as everyone is happy with kids leaving earlyfor the pros we don't need any changes, but if we want to stop we are going to have do something.
It is OK to say they are getting a great education and for a lot of guys that is enough, but I think we all truthfully know that a lot of these guys are all athlete and no student. I wish I was wrong but I don't think I am.