Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default AFC Questions

I'm sure a lot of people will have problems with a lot of these claims, and many of you will agree with them. Give me your thoughts...

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/9984109

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Kansas City is $5 million under the salary cap and they already have Trent Green inked for next year.

I would expect both Green and Damon Huard to be back in Kansas City.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Both Green and Huard are in their mid-30s, though. Who is the long-term solution? I think KC needs to find their QB of the future. Larry Johnson is going to be run into the ground prematurely if all they do is hand off to him.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Maybe they are trying to groom Brodie Croyle for that position. They drafted him recently, but im not sure whether or not hes considered to be the QB of the future...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don't know about the future, but Croyle sure as hell ain't much in the present: His passer rating for 2006 was 11.9, and his quarterback rating was minus 65.5!

If you want to see how all the other QBs fared this season, the numbers are (finally) up, in the "It's Here! The New QB Rating System" thread.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Mangini says that the Jets QB competition will be wide open in camp this summer, but for some reason I just can't see Pennington being benched for Kellen Clemens. I know Pennington didn't make some of the greatest throws this season, but I would say he did pretty good considering he just came off 2 shoulder surgeries.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, it is tough to judge a guy after just 7 passes in his rookie season. But, I don't know about Croyle. He strikes me as a guy who will be a good game manager who won't lose you a lot of games but you won't be able to lean on to rally the team from 2 TDs back in the 4th quarter either.

I am not surprised to hear Mangini say Clemens will get a look this year as the starter. Everyone and their brother said he would have been a no-brainer first round pick if he had been able to stay healthy in college. You already know what Pennington gives you and you know he is not going to be an elite passer so what does it hurt to give Clemens a shot at the job in the offseason? I am sure Pennington knew this would come to fruition at some point in the near future when they drafted the kid in the second round.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Kansas City was able to ink back-up quarterback Damon Huard to a three-year, $7.5 million deal on Tuesday.

Kansas City is going to ask Trent Green to reduce his scheduled base salary of $7.2 million, but if he won't, the Kansas City Star is reporting today that "the Chiefs have called other teams offering Green in a trade."
Old 03-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Why is Trent Green being shopped around, whereas all you ever hear is retirement and how old Favre is? They're the same age, and same as Jeff Garcia. I guess because Favre's been playing non-stop for so long, but please. Real pet peeve of mine. As for KC, I agree Huard is the way to go, but he's serviceable at best. His number one job is handing the ball off.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Huard is the way to go, but he's serviceable at best. His number one job is handing the ball off.
And since this is his number one job, rumors persist that Kansas City, in an effort to sure up their offensive line, is looking to trade Trent Green either before or during the NFL draft as part of a package deal with a team at the top of the draft board, so they could move up and get a tackle.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But, who at the top of the draft board that needs a QB is going to want Trent Green when all indications are that Brady Quinn is slipping down the boards and could be readily available for anyone who has a need at the position in the top 10 or for anyone who wants to move to get him? If you have a need for starting QB and you are at the top of the board why trade away your top pick in a deal for a QB whose best seasons very well could be behind him?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

I don't foresee a trade happening with a team at the top of the draft board, but I have heard there have been discussions between Kansas City and Miami about a trade for Trent Green.

That would allow the Chiefs to jump up the draft board and become a player for Levi Brown out of Penn State.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, that is assuming the 'Phins are willing to trade out of their spot. The popular opinion seems to be that Cam Cameron has fallen in love with the notion of getting his hands on Quinn. I cannot help but wonder if the 'Phins interest lies in bringing Green in to help mentor Quinn along for the first year or so.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

But what if the Vikings wise up and take Quinn at #7?

And why shouldn't Cleveland be interested in Quinn as well? Charlie Frye will never lead an NFL team to so much as a .500 season, let alone any kind of serious Super Bowl run. Surely the Browns' front office knows that.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

To be honest I could see Quinn or Russell going just about anywhere in the top 9, other than 5 or 6, when you really sit down and think about it:

1. Oakland: Surely is taking a QB now that Aaron Brooks is out of the picture the question is whether it is Russell, whom it is widely rumored to be, or Quinn.

2. Detroit: Jon Kitna surely is not the long term solution there. Have the Lions ever had a franchise caliber QB? The only one that comes to mind is Bobby Layne and I don't think he was anything special as a passer.

3. Tampa: Given that they have gone and gotten Garcia and possibly Plummer they obviously are not totally satisfied with their QB situation.

4. Cleveland: Frye has yet to prove he is the guy and quite frankly I am not sure he has the support of his teammates in the locker room given some of the comments that were coming out of there last season.

5. Arizona: Has Leinart so I don't see them taking a QB.

6. Washington: Has Jason Campbell so they are not a likely candidate.

7. Minnesota: Bounced Brad Johnson, though most of us saw that coming, and only have Tavarias Jackson and Brooks Bollinger neither of which is an overwhelming choice at this stage. Although it is said that Childress really likes Jackson.

8. Houston: Is rumored to be looking for Carr's replacement.

9. Miami: It is rumored that Cam Cameron is enamored with Quinn.