Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Big Ten Expansion?

Conference network could prompt bigger Big Ten

The creation of the Big Ten Network means conference officials likely will discuss expansion again, commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday.

"I think we need to look at it in the next year," he said during a wide-ranging interview with Des Moines Register reporters.

Adding a 12th team likely will be revisited because of the network, which is scheduled to launch Aug. 30, Delany said. An additional big-name university in a large television market means more exposure for the network and its sponsors.

"It changes to some extent how you think about it," Delany said of expansion. "The broader (the network) is distributed, the more value (expansion) has. We have eight states. With expansion, you could have nine."

The conference looked toward Notre Dame when exploring expanding to 12 teams in 1999. After serious discussion, the Fighting Irish chose to remain a football independent.

"There was great value there," Delany said of Notre Dame's national appeal. "There aren't many universities that produce that kind of value."

The Big Ten could look at Rutgers and Syracuse.

"Wherever," Delany said when asked about specifics. "With the network - there's a different element. It changes the dynamics."

In football, a 12th university could mean two divisions and a postseason playoff. That's an appealing concept to the startup network.

"Any television executive would do whatever they could to be able to air a game like the Big Ten championship," said Mark Silverman, Big Ten Network president. "It would be worth a considerable amount of value.

"Fans would take to something of that nature if it were in the best interest of the conference."

Coaches think otherwise, said Iowa's Kirk Ferentz.

"I've not met anybody in coaching that really enjoys it," Ferentz said of the divisional playoff format. "There's a lot of downside to it, in my opinion."

Among the concerns are playing an additional game and the potential of missing out on a BCS bowl if you lose the conference title game.

But expansion could also result in a large conference without divisions.

"I'm agnostic," Delany said. "I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact on your losing team in season-ending games.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

Nor does Ferentz.

"If it makes sense - if the right institution was interested - I think there would be consideration given," he said. Delany cautioned against rushing to add a 12th school.

"You have to build a network that has value first," Delany said. "You don't expand it until you have it built.

"Until we have a fully distributed network in the eight states, then you have a value and then you can look at expansion.

"Every time you make a major adjustment in the Big Ten, there's a gestation period. You have to allow one set of efforts to settle in, and then catch a breath."

Copyright 2007, Des Moines Register and Tribune Company

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...34/1003/SPORTS

(takes off glasses...rubs eyes in disgust)

(Big Sigh)...Ok...here's the thing:

Though more info wasn't given the article states that the 12th team could possibly be Rutgers or Syracuse based on TV revenue generated by the new Big Ten Network.

(another big sigh)

Ya know...I've been fighting people on these boards for years now trying to get others to see the outrageous tactics and logic of the new school/BCS/playoff way of llife.

Here is a perfect example of that way of thinking.

First off...no expansion is needed and not welcomed...as Ferentz noted. We've fought off expansion before and I suspect we will fight this attempt off as well. It will always be this way unless it is the Queen herself...Notre Dame...who accepts the bid.

But the mere idea of inviting two teams OUTSIDE the geographic/cultural circle of Big Ten Country in the name of TV revenue is absolutely outrageous...especially since one school has only been good for two years since inception back in 1869 (Rutgers). Then the other school...though having a great past...has been in the toilet for almost the entire decade (Cuse).

IF expansion was to be explored...you would start with schools within the boundaries of the Midwest first...say Cincy, Iowa State or Missouri. All of which I might add have a better overall resume than Rutgers in the two biggies: football and b-ball (as in combo... as in beyond the last 2 years...short-sighted bastards). Then you would go to Pitt...which kills Rutgers in b-ball and while struggling now in football...clearly has a better pedigree for producing a quality program (under the right man).

But putting all the teams aside...the idea of breaking tradition for TV revenue in such a flippant manner is enough to make me sick. So yeah...typical new school garbage.

They made me spread my legs once already...for Penn State. At the very least she's got value and morals. She's worthy...though the relationship is awkward. If I have to spread 'em again...please don't solely decide it on TV revenue and the fact Rutgers is close to NYC.

God help me.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Isn't there already a Big 12? I'll never understand you Northerners?

But, anything that gives Buck a headache I'm all for.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

You know that means a conference championship game in football is just around the corner for the Big Ten.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Rutgers? RUTGERS!?!?! Are you freaking kidding me? That's like throwing a team in there just to get another one in. If they are going to do it, at least, like you said, get a Midwest team. Anything else is a joke.

Pitt would be interesting. Might add a whole new dynamic to the PSU/Pitt rivalry.

IF they go that route.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
You know that means a conference championship game in football is just around the corner for the Big Ten.
Sure...if the expansion happened.

We've had threats like this for years (99, 01 and 03) when there have been conf. shakeups or other monetary interests in the mirror.

Like I said...it has little to no support. Alvarez...God bless him...is against nearly all so-called "progress" in matters such as this. As long as we have him and some of the other guys in place...things should remain unchanged. A few years back only the late Randy Walker and Paterno (who lobbied on behalf of the Eastern schools) were in favor of it.

MIKE...

See...even you get it.

LOL...LOL.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
themush
Banned

The ultimate kick to Buck's backside. Louisville? A Kentucky school in the Big 10????
Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Look, I'll be honest, you know I'm for a playoff. We'll argue the point until one or the other of us dies. But the Big Ten w/a championship game just seems wrong. Not only that, a game after OSU/Michigan just seems out of place, ESPECIALLY if OSU and UM were in different divisions, and ended up playing each other in said championship game after the year end game. Say-wha-huh?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
themush
Banned

Well Mike you are going to have that scenario regardless of the conference. What If UGA goes undefeated and has to play LSU or Auburn again in the SECCG? That's why we play the games.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
Look, I'll be honest, you know I'm for a playoff. We'll argue the point until one or the other of us dies. But the Big Ten w/a championship game just seems wrong. Not only that, a game after OSU/Michigan just seems out of place, ESPECIALLY if OSU and UM were in different divisions, and ended up playing each other in said championship game after the year end game. Say-wha-huh?
To me this particular issue deals more with the mindset of the pro-playoff/BCS whatever people.

To come out and say that TV Revenue makes expansion a viable topic again and that "with the network - there's a different element. It changes the dynamics" is just outrageous.

You don't consider geography?

You don't consider state of the program?

You don't consider culture?

I mean...damn. At least in the old days they put some work into their lies and b.s. before they got your legs spread. Now it's so flippant and without consideration of what college football is...well...used to be I guess with the old school...is just outrageous.

I don't know why I'm shocked though. Maybe I still have hope.

Woe is me.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post

You don't consider geography?

And just how exactly did FSU/Miami end up in seperate divisions of the ACC.

Damn corporate BS.

Wait a sec, I'm agreeing with you on this? Back up a second.............
Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
And just how exactly did FSU/Miami end up in seperate divisions of the ACC.

Damn corporate BS.

Wait a sec, I'm agreeing with you on this? Back up a second.............
I have no clue if there is a legit reason or not cuz that's WAY OUTTA my jurisdiction (once you hit the Ohio River...I'm out...) but I would assume that the suits wanted them to play in the conf. title game all the time.

And based on the Wake-G Tech ACC CG last year...I see why...:lol:
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Looking to add one of Rutgers/Syracuse would give Penn State a rival, so I'm all for either of them. Penn State is still an outsider in the conference and so I think it would be a good move. Rutgers would be my preference over Syracuse.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I can't believe I am writing this, but I agree with Buckeye 100% - adding another team to the Big 10 is crazy. Especially regarding the teams they are considering: Rutgers????? 'Cuse?????

Boggles the mind....and it's all for $$$$$...........

Geez, all this tradition-talk by Buck is starting to rub off on me
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
I can't believe I am writing this, but I agree with Buckeye 100% - adding another team to the Big 10 is crazy. Especially regarding the teams they are considering: Rutgers????? 'Cuse?????

Boggles the mind....and it's all for $$$$$...........

Geez, all this tradition-talk by Buck is starting to rub off on me
I have people from Florida and Georgia on my side.

(ground rumbles)

That musta been Woody turning over in his grave.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I have people from Florida and Georgia on my side.

(ground rumbles)

That musta been Woody turning over in his grave.

:lol::lol:

I love all this college football talk, just before I'm leaving for Mecca (aka Titleville) for my second year of Florida School of Banking! :thumbup:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote