Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Are the Steelers now America's team?

Six Super Bowl titles. They are calling themselves "Sixburg": http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=3881434

The Steelers have been consistently good, and have six titles: Super Bowls IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, and XLIII.

The Green Bay Packers have won 12 league championships (more than any other team in the NFL), including 9 NFL Championships prior to the Super Bowl era, and 3 Super Bowl victories.

Meanwhile, you have the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys have played in more Super Bowls than any other NFL team (8). The Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls, which leaves them tied for second with San Francisco.

So which franchise is truly America's team?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

It's still Dallas if we go post-merger.

Since the merger...

Division Titles...

Pittsburgh - 19
Dallas - 16

Conference Titles...

Pittsburgh - 7
Dallas - 8

Super Bowl Titles...

Pittsburgh - 6
Dallas - 5

Super Bowl Record of teams that were in/currently reside in each team's division:

Pittsburgh: 1-4 (Ravens)
Dallas: 6-4 (Washington 3, NY Giants 3)

That's the key. Dallas has played in the toughest division in the NFL since the merger while Pittsburgh has played in the weakest...save the NFC Central/now North.

Plus at least 3 of Pittsburgh's titles are heavily tainted by absolutely horrendous officiating. If you benefited in the game that actually got the instant replay ball rolling ( 1979 AFC CG ) then you have to take some kind of hit in a convo like this.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Okay, but does the number of championships really make a team "America's Team"? Dallas sells the most swag and always gets its games in the prime viewing times that to me is what makes them "America's Team".

I don't know that Green Bay and Pittsburgh have as expansive a fan base as the Cowboys do.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I would still have to say Dallas too for the reason Doublee just mentioned. They are extremely popular in the U.S. plus they have a huge following in Mexico and other countries.....maybe they could be considered the "world's team"?
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Right now, with our economy being in the shape it's in, I'd say it is the Detroit Lions who are America's Team!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Okay, but does the number of championships really make a team "America's Team"? Dallas sells the most swag and always gets its games in the prime viewing times that to me is what makes them "America's Team".

I don't know that Green Bay and Pittsburgh have as expansive a fan base as the Cowboys do.
It's subjective based off stuff I don't dig on - style. If you base it off success on the field from the merger on it's Dallas with Pittsburgh 2nd.

But if you are simply talking about the greatest pro football franchises ever (in existence today) including the AFL, AAFC and whatever else then it's...

1. Green Bay Packers
2. Cleveland Browns
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. NY Giants
5. Chicago Bears
6. Oakland Raiders
7. Indianapolis Colts
8. Pittsburgh Steelers
9. New England Patriots
10. Washington Redskins

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 02-09-2009 at 07:32 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote