Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Cutler infuriated by Broncos...

"They want me to come in and talk to 'em but I'm not doing it right now; I'm going to lay low," said Cutler. "The [Broncos] deny everything. That's a problem. We know for a fact they tried to trade me."

"I'm upset. I mean, I'm really shocked at this point," Cutler told The Post. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Things are rocky, literally, in the Broncos organization. Head coaching change and now the QB is pissed. I, however, agree with Wojo: "Jay Cutler -- a guy with a sub-.500 record and no playoff berths -- is offended about being mentioned in trade talks? ESPN.com's Gene Wojciechowski says get over it." http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...4&sportCat=nfl

Cutler hasn't accomplished anything that gives him the right to act like this.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Broncos say point-blank they are not trading Cutler: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3949578

I think though things are tense, it can be repaired and this will all blow over by minicamps. Blah.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If only Kurt Warner would leave the Cardinals, the solution becomes obvious: Jay Cutler getting traded to Arizona for Matt Leinart.

But since it now seems likely that Warner is staying put, how does Cutler to Philadelphia for Donovan McNabb sound? And note how ESPN is trying to fan the flames, wondering aloud how McNabb must be feeling after seeing several starters leave in free agency already, with L.J. Smith quite possibly being next (to Atlanta?).

And Jay Cutler in Philly would be totally awesome from where I sit, and not just because it would mean getting out from under McNabb: Cutler grew up in Santa Claus, Indiana, where I happened to be for three days last spring, there to visit former UFC fighter Dan Christison and his wife, Kyria.

So I've got personal ties to Cutler - at least sort of.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Source: Cutler, Broncos further apart: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968896

Not looking good...
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Anthony

With Matt Cassel now in Kansas City and Oakland overdue for a six-win season, the Broncos could be headed for the AFC West cellar, and Josh McDaniels could be headed for having the "21st Century Les Steckel" label appended to him (possibly with Mike Shanahan being brought back to clean up the mess, the same way Bud Grant was?).
Old 03-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Hey, as a Bucs fan, I would love to have him come in and start, with McKown backing him up...
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Anthony

It may be a buyer's market in housing these days - but apparently Jay Cutler disagrees:

Cutler's House For Sale

Disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has put his Denver-area house up for sale, a television station reported.

Denver's KMGH-TV reported that the approximately 7,500-square-foot, four-bedroom, seven-bathroom home is listed for sale for $2 million.

Cutler also owns a condominium in Denver, according to the report.

Cutler has said he was upset to learn that the Broncos recently considered trade offers that would have landed them former New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel and sent Cutler elsewhere.

Cassel instead was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Cutler said subsequently that he believed he remained on the trading block, but team officials have said he won't be traded.

A conference call between Cutler, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and newly hired coach Josh McDaniels reportedly did little to ease the tensions.

By Mark Maske

B.J. Thomas was definitely onto something about this time of year in 1971, when he had this to sing:

A happy little home comes up for sale
Because two fools have tried and failed
To get along
And you know that's wrong

Guess there's No Love At All left between Cutler and the Broncos!

(I can be so capricious - can't I?)
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Cutler officially requests a trade:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

I don't see Tampa as a destination for him unless another team gets involved as it is being reported that Denver wants more than draft picks for him. The speculation is Cleveland may get involved as it is reported that Mangini and the new GM are not that enamored with Quinn and Quinn at least has some experience in a similar offense playing for Weis at Notre Dame.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

What a little prima donna. All this over what? That the team was interested in Cassel? Give me a break. He seems really insecure and expects a lot when he hasn't won anything.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I see what you are saying about Cutler's lack of winning but how much of that do you lay at his feet and how much do you attribute to the fact that the Broncos defense has sucked out loud the last two seasons? There are not many teams that are going to be successful in the NFL giving up over 400 points per season.

The Broncos failures the past couple of seasons have had more to do with Shanahan's inability to rebuild the defense moreso than anything Cutler has or has not done.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
Anthony

If nothing else, this episode graphically highlights an inherent drawback to hiring these super-young head coaches.

On a subconscious level at least, one wonders if players like Jay Cutler think "bosses" like Josh McDaniels have paid their dues, so to speak.

It's far less awkward to have a certain amount of "social distance" between the coaching staff and the players - and in this area (if in none other! ), Andy Reid (who just turned 51) seems just about perfect.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If nothing else, this episode graphically highlights an inherent drawback to hiring these super-young head coaches.

On a subconscious level at least, one wonders if players like Jay Cutler think "bosses" like Josh McDaniels have paid their dues, so to speak.

It's far less awkward to have a certain amount of "social distance" between the coaching staff and the players - and in this area (if in none other! ), Andy Reid (who just turned 51) seems just about perfect.
This is an interesting discussion. SC's Andrew Jones pointed this out earlier today:
Quote:
All in all, the question I keep coming to when I hear about the latest NFL transaction is why are teams releasing players who have tradable value? What was the point of releasing Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Roy Williams, Fred Taylor, Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, or anybody else that you could add to the list who could clearly still contribute to an NFL team? Did teams try to trade these players and there was no market for them? I doubt that highly; many of them have already signed with other teams.

I think what is most disturbing about these releases is that we are beginning to see less and less of a focus on veteran leadership on many teams, especially teams with young head coaches. Do these young coaches feel so threatened that they have to clear out anybody who the players might look to in a transition? Ultimately, one has to ask, how long will these new coaches last?
https://www.sports-central.org/sport...and_losers.php

With coaches getting so young, maybe veteran players are not respecting them. And/or maybe the coaches see the veterans' strong locker room presence as a challenge to them...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
All in all, the question I keep coming to when I hear about the latest NFL transaction is why are teams releasing players who have tradable value? What was the point of releasing Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Roy Williams, Fred Taylor, Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, or anybody else that you could add to the list who could clearly still contribute to an NFL team?
I don't know how much trade value some of these guys really had and some of them were released due to financial reasons. Holt asked to be released and was due something like a $8.5 million roster bonus if he was not released. What are teams really going to get for guys who are in their mid-30s and are more role players than stars any more?

Ultimately, a lot of these guys are getting released because they are due a salary not in line with what they are producing. Teams are not going to pay a Marvin Harrison six/seven million dollars when he is putting up numbers equivalent to guys making half that money.

Of those names mentioned I would say only Roy Williams had any kind of real trade value as he is still relatively young and productive. Given the lack of safety talent available in the draft I'd say Williams probably could have fetched a second or third round pick for Dallas.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

You can throw out the notion that Cutler and the Broncos will kiss and make up. The Broncos are reportedly looking to trade him now: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4031893

This is a pretty rare thing to see a Pro Bowl-caliber QB, young and entering his prime, on the market like this. I would consider trading the No. 1 pick for him if I were the Lions. He's less risk than Stafford because you've already seen him play...
Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I would consider trading the No. 1 pick for him if I were the Lions. He's less risk than Stafford because you've already seen him play...
Obviously Denver has to deal him at this point, but what else could Detroit offer up besides the number one overall pick? In this draft year, I don't know if the number one overall pick is enough for Cutler, and instead of giving up a ton of high draft picks, I think the Lions need to hold on to as many picks as possible.

Wherever he ends up, that team is landing a solid quarterback, but you have to be weary of the way he overreacted to this situation. A reaction was warranted, but not to the level that Cutler turned his back on the franchise, his teammates and the fanbase.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote