Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road
Default French Open 2010

All commentaries welcome. Two weeks of clay court fiesta.
Women's side looks wide open; possible quarterfinal match between Henin and Serena.
Men's side looks like another Federer-Nadal final, with the latter coming on top. It will be interesting to see if a third player can break their stranglehold on this tournament. Soderling is the only to win a match against either of the two since 2005.

Mert
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road

I agree with you on both counts Mert. I can't see anything other than a Roger-Rafa final and the women's side is wide open.

I think a good shout for a dark horse on the women's side of things is Lucie Safarova, but no doubt having said that she will be knocked out in the next round.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Welcome back, Luke! :wavey:

I heard Nadal is going to wear a $250k watch while playing, any truth to that?

Frankly, it's the same old storiylines, tennis needs some new ones...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

It would be nice to see something a little different, but Nadal and Federer are so good over five sets that this is just what we have to settle for. We get to see Federer lose most other weeks these days so it's all good.

If it is a Nadal-Federer final then it will no doubt be billed as whether Federer can beat Nadal in the final. If he could beat Nadal at Roland Garros in the final then that would be it for Federer. The people who claim Federer isn't this or that would be silenced if he beat Nadal en-route to the title.

I haven't heard anything about a watch, nor did I see Nadal play today so I can neither confirm nor deny the rumour.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Mertov
All-Star Player

You are being stingy Marc. It's actually worth $525K

Luke, I believe Federer-Nadal matches have been the best quality tennis that I have ever seen. I have no problem watching another one. I wish a third or a fourth would get to that level too. They are really ahead of their time.

Mert
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Mertov
All-Star Player

One comment about Monfils...

The guy has serious conditioning issues. He gets cramps every time he plays a long 5 set match, and his performance goes considerably down in the late stages of a long match because he gets tired. He either needs to change his playing style drastically or get better conditioned, or he will be a career-long disappointments in Slam tournaments to himself and to his fans (thank God, I am not one of them although I enjoy watching his matches).

Mert
Old 05-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Monfils is certainly something to watch. He is somewhat of a headless chicken at times, but then that's part of the appeal, I guess.

I read you article of Ivanovic, Mert, and despite her defeat yesterday I think there were some good signs there for her in the first set. I think she is clearly back on the right path, which is good to see.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Mertov
All-Star Player

Only one French player made it to the end of the first week men and women combined, wow!

Ginepri in the round of 16. I don't think anyone predicted that either.

Otherwise, no surprises, other than Venus losing to Petrova this morning. I believe everyone is focused on the probable Serena-Henin quarterfinal match.

Mert

PS: Hi Luke, I thought the opposite. Roland Garros 2010 is a dark spot in her comeback attempt. Hopefully, she will move on quickly from this week.

Last edited by Mertov; 05-30-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Sports Guru
Banned

Sports Guru is on a distinguished road

Tennis gala has started at last; the clay court fever has now at the top. I love Nadal and will be waiting to see him in final against Federer, and I think nothing can be more qualitative than that outclass contest. The two Kings of tennis world would be struggling.
Sports Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 AM   #10
Mertov
All-Star Player

Ok... Henin losing to Stosur, that I did not see coming.

Serena is the favorite to win the women's draw as it looks now, but not nearly as much of a lock as Nadal is on the men's side.

Mert
Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Mertov
All-Star Player

Soderling pulls the shocker. He nailed every ball an they all went in. Fantastic performance! The greatest streak in the Open era (IMO) comes to an end; 23 Slam semis in a row. I also believe Soderling will go down in history as the onlyplayer to beat Nadal and Federer in Roland Garros. I doubt anyone else can repeat that.

Mert
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Henin and Federer within 24 hours of each other? I realize it's hard to look past Rafa and Serena now, but if there's another upset, who are the favorites at this point? I might actually lean towards Stosur and Soderling.

Stosur has been playing really well recently and probably wouldn't feel as much pressure as Elena Dementieva, though Dementieva certainly has an easier draw remaining. I don't see Jankovic or Schiavone as likely contenders.

Soderling has been fantastic at Roland Garros the last two years and is probably a better clay-courter than Djokovic. I don't see any men other than those two and Nadal having a serious chance to win it all.

I agree, Mert, that Soderling has already carved out a legacy at Roland Garros. I realize clay is Serena's weakest surface, but I wonder if she isn't a bigger favorite than Nadal at this point, simply because Soderling is so dangerous. Maybe I'm just overexcited.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with you guys that Soderling has created a legacy for himself, but it means very little without the trophy. I guess the dream final would be Soderling vs. Nadal, but Berdych is playing really well at the moment. His movement over the past two weeks has been exceptional.

I also agree with you Mert that 23 consecutive slam semis is the greatest streak in the Open era, and perhaps all of sport.

Stosur also beat Serena. It seems Stosur is turning into the real deal.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Mertov
All-Star Player

Luke, you are right about the trophy. It's a bit like Todd Martin and Cedric Pioline who have had very respectable careers, couple of finals, but never won the big one (compared to an Ivanisevic or Noah).

I hope Soderling makes it to the finals although I see the Soderling vs. Berdych match 50-50, simply because if Berdych gets to the finals, he may be overwhelmed where as Soderling will go into it believing that he can win, thus make a better match out of it.

Although Stosur is on top of her form, I still see it as a major upset that she defeated Serena. I am really looking forward to the Jankovic vs. Stosur match. I feel like the winner of that match will win the Women's Draw.

Mertov
Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Did you see the women's semis? The Schiavone-Dementieva semi has to be one of the biggest anti-climaxes ever. It was a decent, unpredictable, match then out of nowhere Dementieva retired. It was all very strange.