Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,387
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Is Tiger Slumping?

My opinion is he definitely is. In addressing this question from the media, he denied it, saying he had won tournaments earlier this year and it's hard to say you're struggling when you when half the tournaments you enter.

However, everything he won was earlier in the year and he has struggled lately, especially in late rounds and lately at the Buick Open where he fell apart. I guess this is normal in the game of golf and everyone goes through this, but it is quite a sight to see Tiger struggle, miss makeable putts, and get rattled.
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso
 
lmanchur.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: waterloo.ON.ca
Posts: 12,579
lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default

Anyone who finishes in the Top 20 in a major tournament is not in a slump.

2003 US Open T20
2003 Masters T15
2002 PGA 2nd
2002 Open T28
2002 US Open 1
2002 Masters 1
2001 PGA T29
2001 Open T25
2001 US Open T12
2001 Masters 1
2000 PGA 1
2000 Open 1
2000 US Open 1
2000 Masters 1

Never mind his last 3 years... look at his last 4 or 5 majors!! ALL TOP 20 FINISHES EXCEPT ONE -- the 2002 Open, which he has his CAREER WORST round in at 81 and he STILL manged a top 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guys last 3 seasons, never mind his entire CAREER IS an entire career for most golfers!!!!!! You judge a player by how he plays in Majors?? well, Tiger's been the best in them over the past 5 tournaments with 4 top 20 finishes and 1 victory. He has only 7 tournaments or something this year and is 4th on the money list with 3 victories.

Ya, he sucks.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 11:21 PM   #3
Aristides
All-Star Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 318
Aristides is on a distinguished road
Default

I remember everyone saying he was in a slump and then he ripped off 4 straight major wins. The reason he was playing poorly then was due to him trying new things with his game to make him a more complete player. Maybe thats what hes doing now.

Also, the reason everyone thinks he is in a "slump" is because he has set his own standards so high. The fact is and always will be you cant win every tournament that you are in. If that happened he would be a God and it would be pointless to watch because you already know who the victor is going to be.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
RaviPachai18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 889
RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well said Aristides. This exact topic seems to come up EVERY golf season. If Tiger is in a slump, so is the rest of the PGA Tour. Golf is not a game where you can dominate by having a physical advantage over someone. It requires alot of finess and, for those who haven't played, requires alot of thought.

I've seen the same tournaments where he is hitting the ball 10 feet away and missing putts but this isn't a slump. It's the GAME OF GOLF. Every golf course they play is setout different, every golf course is maintained differently, and alot of them use different materials, you CAN'T expect him to play the exact same on each one at every tournament.

He's the best player in the world, he's not a miracle worker. We've all come to expect a little too much from him and we should just let him play his game, the game he knows better than any of us.
__________________
No Comment
[ www.RPachai.com ]
[ www.lyricsH.com ]
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,387
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Aristides
Also, the reason everyone thinks he is in a "slump" is because he has set his own standards so high. The fact is and always will be you cant win every tournament that you are in. If that happened he would be a God and it would be pointless to watch because you already know who the victor is going to be.
Exactly. But let's face it: this is Tiger Woods, finishing in the top-20 is NOT going to be acceptable if that's all he does. People expect him to be contending and winning tournaments regularly, and for good reason. And Dave, I can't recall the sports world discussing Tiger's "slump" as much as this year because he has won more regularly than he did this year. But maybe that's just me.
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default

No, I think it was discussed even more last year. BUT...Tiger is in a little funk right now, we'll just have to see if he pulls out of it.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:08 AM   #7
RaviPachai18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 889
RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
And Dave, I can't recall the sports world discussing Tiger's "slump" as much as this year because he has won more regularly than he did this year. But maybe that's just me.

it's brought up EVERY year.......it seems to be quite predictable now.
__________________
No Comment
[ www.RPachai.com ]
[ www.lyricsH.com ]
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,387
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Slump or not, Tiger silenced critics with a record-breaking win at the Western Open. But is it a prelude to the British Open?
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback
 
Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 4,334
Heathen is on a distinguished road
Default

He'll win the Open.... the real Open
__________________
Seattle Mariners | Medicine Hat Tigers | Calgary Flames | Seattle Seahawks
Portland Trailblazers | Medicine Hat Mavericks | Sunderland AFC | Calgary Roughnecks

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
Aristides
All-Star Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 318
Aristides is on a distinguished road
Default

I wonder if they'll be checking the drivers at the Open? :p

Well if it was a slump he's out of it now. No less than a Top 5 finish at the Open and PGA Championship. You heard it here first.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #11
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

he was in a slump. now that he won that torn. today or is winning it i think(correct me if im wrong) he is out of it. for the last 3 torns. he was. his expectations are almost to win 2 out every 3 torn. he is. The last 3 he didnt even win. FOR TIGER IT WAS A SLUMP. FOR EVERY OTHER PLAYER IT WOULDNT BE A SLUMP
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:12 PM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso
 
lmanchur.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: waterloo.ON.ca
Posts: 12,579
lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default

Okay, this "slump" of his was what?? 5 tourneys with no victory?? His long previous "slump" was the start of the 2001 season when he didn't win the first 6 tourneys he enterd. SIX.

Some guys are more than happy to win six in a CAREER.

He is number TWO on the money list this year, and he's only played TEN tournaments, compared to Mike Weir who is #1, played in 13 tounaments, and is only $22,000 ahead of Woods.

Woods has already won FOUR tournaments this year alone!! And he has won at least 4 tourneys in each of the last 5 years!! Again, that would be a career for some golfers.

In the world golf rankings he still leads by over 7.20 points!!! The gap between Els and Weir for 2nd and 3rd is only 1.4 points!!!

This guy is a MACHINE. Just because a guy who writes for SI or whatever and never watches golf looks and says Woods is in a "slump" because he hasn't won in... 2 months?... doesn't mean he is. [email protected]^. Get a life. HE HAS WON 40% OF HIS TOURNAMENTS THIS YEAR!!!!! There are 50 winners on the PGA Tour tournament a year. If there are 100 golfers in a tournament, there are 5,000 people competing for only 50 trophies... If there are 50 winners a year, a 5,000 competitors a year, only ONE PERECENT are in the winner's circle, and if Woods wins just ONCE more this year, he takes of TEN PERCENT of that lonely ONE percent!!!!!!!...

P.S. Marc, he TIED the tourney record, he did NOT break it.

@^%!. People, have you ever actually golfed? Do you know how HARD it is to even shoot par on a PAR-3 course?? You have to shoot 27 shots over 1,500 yards to shoot Par on a Par-3 course. Play 5 rounds in one day and 5 rounds the next day against 100 other people. How many did you win? 10%? I think not.

There is no way this man will win once a week or once a month or once every two months. Watch golf for GOLF... not for Tiger Woods. Or else, just stop commenting on it and stop reading this junk about "Tiger Woods' slump." I'm surprised he hasn't lost it yet over these dumb questions. I sure am.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:59 PM   #13
Aristides
All-Star Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 318
Aristides is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Okay, this "slump" of his was what?? 5 tourneys with no victory?? His long previous "slump" was the start of the 2001 season when he didn't win the first 6 tourneys he enterd. SIX.

Some guys are more than happy to win six in a CAREER.

He is number TWO on the money list this year, and he's only played TEN tournaments, compared to Mike Weir who is #1, played in 13 tounaments, and is only $22,000 ahead of Woods.

Woods has already won FOUR tournaments this year alone!! And he has won at least 4 tourneys in each of the last 5 years!! Again, that would be a career for some golfers.

In the world golf rankings he still leads by over 7.20 points!!! The gap between Els and Weir for 2nd and 3rd is only 1.4 points!!!

This guy is a MACHINE. Just because a guy who writes for SI or whatever and never watches golf looks and says Woods is in a "slump" because he hasn't won in... 2 months?... doesn't mean he is. [email protected]^. Get a life. HE HAS WON 40% OF HIS TOURNAMENTS THIS YEAR!!!!! There are 50 winners on the PGA Tour tournament a year. If there are 100 golfers in a tournament, there are 5,000 people competing for only 50 trophies... If there are 50 winners a year, a 5,000 competitors a year, only ONE PERECENT are in the winner's circle, and if Woods wins just ONCE more this year, he takes of TEN PERCENT of that lonely ONE percent!!!!!!!...

P.S. Marc, he TIED the tourney record, he did NOT break it.

@^%!. People, have you ever actually golfed? Do you know how HARD it is to even shoot par on a PAR-3 course?? You have to shoot 27 shots over 1,500 yards to shoot Par on a Par-3 course. Play 5 rounds in one day and 5 rounds the next day against 100 other people. How many did you win? 10%? I think not.

There is no way this man will win once a week or once a month or once every two months. Watch golf for GOLF... not for Tiger Woods. Or else, just stop commenting on it and stop reading this junk about "Tiger Woods' slump." I'm surprised he hasn't lost it yet over these dumb questions. I sure am.
LOL Thank You. I just didn't want to take the time to type all that down. Well done.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #14
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso
 
lmanchur.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: waterloo.ON.ca
Posts: 12,579
lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default

YOU'RE WELCOME. :redhot::redhot::redhot::redhot::redhot::redhot::redhot::redhot:
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:01 AM   #15
RaviPachai18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 889
RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road
Default

yep, well said Lee!

In other news...I tuned out on Sunday (not by choice...) of the Western Open. Watched the Womens US Open and must say it was quite exciting! It ended in a three way tie with the play-off happening yesterday.
__________________
No Comment
[ www.RPachai.com ]
[ www.lyricsH.com ]
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.