Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Is Wal-Marts Really helping our Economy?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Is Wal-Marts Really Good for You or the Country

I worked for Wal-Marts in 1987. They use to make us have pep rallies before we opened the doors to the public. They were and are all about sales. Just sale it.

My mother shops at Wal-marts because of the low prices. Can't really blame her, but do u think Wal-Marts is responsible for many mom and pop stores closing? Even larger stores like K-Marts.

Have u noticed almost anything u buy in Wal-Marts is made in China. Is that good for us supporting a Communist nation that really hates us and our ways?

Now I only make 10,500 per year, but I spread my money around. I even go to higher cost stores just to keep them in business. I'm serious. I care about this economy.

Now one thing they do employ a lot of people, but wages are low.

I don't know what the answer is do you?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I hate walmart. I never shop there. I'd rather go to Zellers or somewhere, where they have more than 1 thing of the thing you are looking for, and actually have it in stock.

ie, selling ONE kind of fan and running out of it in the summer is very poor management. And having to ask 3 people "where are hte fans" until I finally get the above answer is very annoying. And the fact that whenever you want something, it is on the oppostie side of the store like 3 miles away. I hate walmart.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

I guess Lee and I differ on this. I love wal-mart. It would be the only place I would shop if that were possible. I've also read alot about how it became such an icon of commercial America. It was your typical mom and pop store that valued the customers over its bottom line. It's that mentality that has allowed it to outpace every one of its competitors. I *know* when I go to wal-mart I'll be getting value for money, it's as simple as that.

Last edited by RaviPachai18; 02-20-2004 at 12:53 PM.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Not that Keith would be terribly concerned about such things, but my wife and I don't shop WalMart because they have discriminatory hiring policies. Actually, I think they recently lost a suit in the US that reconfigured their hiring policy, but... discriminating against gays is still discrimination, and we don't/won't shop there or Sam's Wholesale.

Dave
Old 02-20-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I strongly object to Walmart and will never shop there. HATE IT. Like Dave said, they have shady hiring practices, and worst of all, they often ruin small towns' entire economies by coming in and ordering bulk and therefore offering lower prices, putting small storeowners, often long-time family-owned businesses, out of business. There was an *excellent* article in Fast Company about this, it really opened my eyes: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

Yeah, don't care for Walmart or their practices. My brother, who was once a Walmart employee, had a bad experience there and was laid off.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well in a capitalistic sense and to answer the real question behind this thread, I have no problem with it -- it's what American commercilization/industrialization/capitalism is all about. I just hate the service and selection and that's why I don't shop there
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I dont make a habit of shopping there. I did read that one of the main reasons for KB Toys just declaring bankruptcy, was because they couldnt compete with Walmarts prices. And you can see why when just within a 10 mile area close to where I live, there must be 4 or 5 walmarts.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #9
RaviPachai18

Marc -- Shady hiring practices? Such as? I'm aware of promotion of certain employees being an issue but, in all honesty, I haven't heard much about their hiring practices. As with regard to Daves comments...the changes he's talking about is adding homosexuals to the anti-discrimination policy not the hiring policy. And Walmart did this on their own not as a result of some suit ruled against them. It would also be fair to notice that the majority of state and federal laws do not prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. So, your targeting of walmart, which is being more progressive than your federal government and the majority of states is very unfair.

Secondly, maybe you would be amazed to know that your beloved Apple Computers outsources major operations to places that provide cheap labor. Same for Nike, Same for the Gap, Dell, Compaq, Microsoft....the list goes on and on. You can't honestly believe that Walmart is the root of all evil because it engages in business practices that have been around before the birth of walmart?

As for that article you linked to Marc. Have you actually read it? Most of it is a positive about how walmart is changing the business world. Don't just link to articles you don't bother to read because it actually works against your favor. Walmart has *never*, and I repeat *never*, made it a secret that they are very demanding of their suppliers, in fact it's the one thing they are known for. Like the article said, Walmart brings an unprecedented integrity to the way corporations do business. It's a companies perogative to do business with Walmart, noone forces them to.

I wish people would make up their mind. If you're not satisfied with big corporations taking advantage of consumers and you're not satisfied with the biggest company in the world, fighting for lower prices for you! What are you going to be happy with? It's like you just need something to complain about. You can't just look at the negatives of walmart, as there will be many with a company so large, but you can find those same negatives in a company of any size.

Sure walmart isn't perfect, find me one company that is and i'll find you the dirt. But ultimately they're whole objective is to provide the consumer with the cheapest possible price, and really...how can that be a bad thing?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Seems like most are against Wal-marts yet they strive. Do any of you have Target stores? i guess they are nationwide by now. Target is trying to compete with Wal-Marts. They have a good selection.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #11
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Maybe the shadey hiring practices Marc was speaking about, has something to do with one store recently getting busted for having a huge amount of illegals working for them?.

We have plenty of Targets too. They are ok.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I'm telling u this company is bad. i've worked for them. Sales, Sales and more sales. Customer service takes a back seat.

Them rascals will hire anyone that will accept their low pay.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #13
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
Maybe the shadey hiring practices Marc was speaking about, has something to do with one store recently getting busted for having a huge amount of illegals working for them?.
Maybe. But the questions of, did Walmart knowingly hire these illegal immigrants? or were they used by a company that walmart outsourced cleaning to? or was the decision made by some store manager and not the executives? has to be answered before you can say walmart has "shady" hiring practices.

Like I said before, you can't pretend that walmart is the only corporation that does these things. Most major corporations have dirty secrets that they would rather not make public. To have the attitude that walmart is the only company that does it and therefore doesn't deserve your business is absurd.

And Bama, the whole logic of...I worked there and didn't make enough money so this company is bad just doesn't fly. In fact, the customer service I got at Walmart far surpasses the customer service I've gotten at Sears, Zellers, Canadian Tire, Future Shop and many other big retailers.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Bottom line Wal-marts will be bad for our economy in the long run.

What about most of their products coming from China? What do u think about that?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #15
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
What about most of their products coming from China? What do u think about that?
I think it sucks.

What sucks a whole lot more though is the highly disturbing fact that many big US companies have set up shop in other countries. The low wage US worker suffers big time from this and it has a negative trickle-down effect on our entire economy.

Unless this situation is rectified the US will go down the tubes even faster than it is already destined to.

And make no mistake, the greatness of the US is on borrowed time.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote