Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Draft: First Round Breakdown

Here is my two cents on the first round:

NBA Draft Analysis:

1. Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee Bucks: They went with the safe pick here and took the 7-footer with some skill. Cannot blame them for taking a guy who comes at a premium in the NBA. I am still not sold on him being star player in the NBA.

2. Marvin Williams, Atlanta Hawks: To me this is a wasted pick for the Hawks. They already have good young talent in Josh Childress, Josh Smith, and Al Harrington who already fill the role that Marvin will be asked to play. The Hawks needed a point guard or a center not another athletic forward. Unless the Hawks make a move with one or some of the guys they already have then Williams just creates a logjam at forward rather than improving the team.

3. DeRon Williams, Utah Jazz: Good pick for a team that has a gaping hole at PG. He should be able to provide the Jazz with some much needed floor leadership.

4. Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets: I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who is relegated to one of the wastelands of the NBA. Kind of a curious pick seeing as they have bigger needs at PG with Dan Dickau emerging as a viable option at the position. The Hornets really needed to get a little younger and tougher under the hoop especially with P. J. Brown getting on in years and Magliore constantly fighting injury last year and not really wanting to be in New Orleans. Although given how well J. R. Smith progressed at the tail end of the season Paul and Smith give the Hornets the prospect of having one of the most explosive backcourts for years to come.

5. Raymond Felton, Charlotte Bobcats: Not a huge surprise they went with the hometown hero, but it seems a bit of a reach at number five to me. They probably could have gotten him at 13 with their second selection. The Bobcats needed a PG to help build the team around. If nothing else he will definitely sell tickets next season.

6. Martell Webster, Portland Trailblazers: Not a huge surprise that they went with a high-schooler, but it is a surprise that it was Webster. Gerald Green was widely regarded as the top high school player in the draft. Portland is another franchise that is in disarray and seems to be going nowhere fast.

7. Charlie Villanueva, Toronto Raptors: The Raptors continue to show they either have no clue what they are doing or they are just randomly picking names out of a hat. Villanueva is a huge reach here and has a lot of questions about his motivation and attitude. Not to mention they already have a center in Chris Bosh.

8. Channing Frye, New York Knicks: Cannot quibble with this pick the Knicks desperately need quality size that can contribute right away especially with Kurt Thomas rumored to be on his way to Phoenix.

9. Ike Diogu, Golden State Warriors: I like Dioguís prospects as a NBA player my only question is how he fits with the Warriors who already have Troy Murphy at one forward slot and Mike Dunleavy finally emerging as a solid NBA player coming off of his best season in the league.

10. Andrew Bynum, Los Angeles Lakers: Check back in a couple of years he is clearly a project player who probably will not be an impact player for a couple of seasons. He clearly has a lot of talent and potential.

11. Fran Vazquez, Orlando Magic: At least this is one European who will likely be in the league next year and will get a chance to grow into his role on the team. Given the firepower the Magic already have he wonít be relied upon to be a go to guy right away.

12. Yaroslav Korolev, Los Angeles Clippers: Wasted pick who is likely two or three years away from even stepping foot on a NBA court.

13. Sean May, Charlotte Bobcats: The Cats are clearly going for local college talent to put butts in the seats next season. It is a nice selection though giving them some more toughness up front and he blossomed into a real leader last year in college. Besides, teams can never have too much quality size in the NBA.

14. Rashad McCants, Minnesota Timberwolves: Interesting selection for a team that battled chemistry issues all season last year. This almost assuredly means Latrell Sprewell will not be in a T-Wolves uniform come next year. If he ever gets his head out of his rear end he could end up being one of the two or three best players to come out of this draft.

15. Antoine Wright, New Jersey Nets: Another nice prospect but I am not entirely sure where he fits with the Nets seeing as they have two fairly similar wing players in Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter. They could have used some more depth under the basket as opposed to on the perimeter.

16. Joey Graham, Toronto Raptors: Not a bad selection here for the Raptors. They need more athleticism and guys who can score and make plays out on the floor.

17. Danny Granger, Indiana Pacers: Another nice prospect but am curious where he fits given that the Pacers already have Artest and Stephen Jackson who can play the SF spot. Although given the history of those two guys he does give them insurance against another meltdown.

18. Gerald Green, Boston Celtics: Kind of surprising that he fell this far especially with a team like Charlotte in need of a quality shooting guard. Nice pick up for the Celtics. Some think he may end up being the best to come out of this draft.

19. Hakim Warrick, Memphis Grizzlies: I like this pick the Griz needed to get more athletic and Warrick definitely fits the bill.

20. Julius Hodge, Denver Nuggets: Love this pick for the Nuggets they are getting a high quality leadership guy with tons of versatility. He may not be the best shooter available but he will do what it takes to win and can play the point, the two guard and small forward.

21. Nate Robinson, Phoenix Suns: This was a very intriguing pick for the Suns. I liked the prospects of him coming off the bench fueling the run-and-gun offense in Phoenix. But, it sounds as though he may be going to New York to backup Marbury. Robinson should be a good high energy role player type wherever he ends up.

22. Jarrett Jack, Denver Nuggets: Loved this pick for the Nuggets initially now it appears he is going to Portland which makes little to no sense seeing as the Blazers already have a 19 year old PG in Telfair. It really does not make a lot of sense to me from the Blazers standpoint. Especially given how Telfair really began to emerge once they inserted him into the starting lineup.

23. Francisco Garcia, Sacramento Kings: This probably means that Cuttino Mobley will not be back in a Kings uniform next season with Bobby Jackson and Mike Bibby still on the roster. I am not a huge Garcia fan, but at least he is going to a team where he wonít need to be a primary scoring option and will have time to grow into his role. A team like Sacramento is probably a good fit for a guy like Garcia.

24. Luther Head, Houston Rockets: Good pick for a team who needs a true point guard. Head impressed a lot of folks in the Chicago pre-draft camp and convinced everyone that he can run the point at the next level and has a NBA range on his jumper to boot.

25. Johan Petro, Seattle Supersonics: The Sonics need someone who can score under the basket. Has NBA size but his game is still very raw and is probably someone who wonít contribute significantly for a couple of seasons.

26. Jason Maxiell, Detroit Pistons: Curious pick, but the Pistons donít really have any glaring needs at the top of their player rotation and he fits the mold of a hard-nosed defensive forward that Dumars loves to get.

27. Linas Kleiza, Portland Trailblazers: Supposedly going to Denver as part of the deal for Jack. Not sure where he really fits into Denverís plans as they already have plenty of depth and talent at the forward position. Seems to be a bit of a tweener who does not have the shooting range and athleticism to play the three nor the size and toughness to play the four.

28. Ian Mahinmi, San Antonio Spurs: Lanky athlete in the mold of a Samuel Dalembert. This is a developmental pick and likely wonít step on an NBA court for two or three years.

29. Wayne Simien, Miami Heat: Love this pick for the Heat if he can stay healthy. With Shaq, ĎZo, and Haslem on board the Heat suddenly have a wealth of talent around the basket. If all these guys stay healthy the Heat probably have the deepest frontcourt in the league now. He will give the Heat another widebody warrior around the basket in the mold of ĎZo. The only difference being that Mourning is a better defender.

30. David Lee, New York Knicks: Like this pick for the
Knicks as well. Lee gives them another big body under the basket and he impressed a lot of scouts at the pre-draft camps and went from being a mid-to-late second rounder to the end of the first. Good solid pickup for the Knicks.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
12. Yaroslav Korolev, Los Angeles Clippers: Wasted pick who is likely two or three years away from even stepping foot on a NBA court.
You got that right. I wanted Granger
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

1 (7)- Channing Frye, C, Arizona- Frye wasn't a great pick up but the Knicks really needed a center. After Mohammed was traded to San Antonio, the only center left was Bruno Sundov and PF Jackie Butler.

1 (21 Phoenix)- Nate Robinson, PG, Washington- Robinson should be a solid player off the bench to spell Marbury at the point. He doesn't have great size, even for a point guard, but plays an up tempo style of basketball that will hopefully help to create what will be much needed offense for the Knicks. After the Thomas trade, the Knicks will be hurting for defense.

1 (30)- David Lee, PF, Florida- Lee was a solid pick who will give the Knicks a sizeable post player off the bench but I think this pick could have been better used on Brandon Bass from LSU or Ronny Turiaf from Gonzaga.

2 (54)- Dijon Thompson, SF, UCLA- Thompson's rights were dealt to Phoenix as part of the Kurt Thomas for Quentin Richardson and Nate Robinson trade.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

I have to hand it to the Charlotte Bobcats. They did a great job drafting. Raymond Felton and Sean May would both be 2 very big helps for Charlotte. I see a future big 3 in Okafor, May, and Felton. The Bobcats will have a short line-up with May at 6'8" and Okafor less than 6'10" but they will still be very effective. Brevin Knight was alreay a nice player for the Bobcats, now with Felton, they are set at the pointguard and up front. The Bobcats are gunna be a very good team very fast. People will be suprise. I believe that the bobcats are just one solid shooting guard away from being a playoff team. They should try to sign Joe Johnson.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Alex, I think Lee may be a bit of a better fit for the Knicks if they are indeed planning to go with a more run-and-gun style to mask the lack of height deficiency. He surprised a lot of folks by grading out as the most athletic PF at the Chicago camp and also came away with the camp's MVP Award which is why he moved up the boards quite a bit. Turiaf and Bass are more bulldozer types of PFs that would not fit into a more uptempo style of offense. Plus, Lee is two inches taller than Bass is.

Clipps, I don't know that the Cats are going to be a playoff team just yet. As it stands right now they only have five guys under contract for next season: Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Primoz Brezec, Melvin Ely, and Jason Hart. I suspect they will probably try and bring Kareem Rush back to play the two with Wallace still manning the three. They will probably have a rotation of Brezec, May, and Okafor for the other two spots depending on what the best matchups are at the time. Hart was pretty productive when he was healthy so I expect he will share PG duties with Felton to start out. As it stands right now this team has no shooting. Felton will struggle with his perimeter shooting early on after all it did take him three seasons to become a good 3-pt. shooter in college. I am not sure but I don't think the Cats would have the cash to sign Johnson. From what I understand they are working with a salary cap lower than that of everyone else in the league and with the roster size being bumped next season and half a roster to fill the Cats are going to have to look at quantity over quality for the time being.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Draft winners:

Boston - Stole consensus top four selection Gerald Green at #18. Coupled with Al Jefferson, Boston's future looks very bright as Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker continue to lead the way. Picking up Ryan Gomes late in the 2nd round was a terrific value, too. If Mark Blount can make Boston's roster, Gomes certainly can, too.

Indiana - One of the most talented teams in the league just got better with perhaps the steal of the entire draft, nabbing consensus top ten pick Danny Granger at #17 (How Granger and Green slid this low, no one will ever know. Some teams opted to address needs, but others suffer from complete stupidity).

Charlotte - Some people say they selected Raymond Felton too high at #5, but honestly, I believe it was the right pick. Paul and D. Williams were gone and Bobcats needed a point guard. If they had waited until their 2nd pick at #13, Felton would've been gone. The guy can run the floor and promises to be a stellar player in this league. He was UNC's motor during the season. UNC's motor during the NCAAs? Charlotte got him, too. Sean May was a great selection to partner with Emeka Okafor down low. The Bobcats can now employ and running, attractive style of basketball and boast two hometown boys which will drive ticket sales through the roof. They picked up talent and revenue!

Memphis - In keeping with the "teams that lucked out in having star players fall into their laps" theme, the Grizzlies certainly deserve a mention if only for drafting Hakim Warrick. The guy is versatile and definitely capable of being a 1st team all rookie member by season's end. Love his game.

Atlanta - I think drafting Marvin Williams isn't a bad thing by any means. If you're Atlanta, you shift some pieces around and seriously think about playing small ball a la Seattle this season. Also, grabbing Salim Stoudamire at the top of the 2nd round was a great pick. He's the best shooter in the draft. Not often you pick two players who can start in your lineup immediately.

Losers:

LAKERS - And how! Woof! I'm sick over this Desagana -- err -- Andrew Bynum pick. Sick, I tells ya! The Lakers have always been expected to be a team that should, can, will win now. You don't win now by throwing away a top ten pick on a project. You're the freaking Lakers, for crying out loud! Being competitive is imperative! Free agents come to you! Why take a flier on this galoot? 'Cause he's been able to keep his weight down for a whole month? Gasp! What discipline! Ugh. Why they didn't pick Sean May, I'll never know. Of course, in the slim event that Bynum does pan out, I am willing to eat crow. I do, however, like the Ronny Turiaf pick in the 2nd round. He's a guy who can step in immediately and help out in the post. You know? Kind of like Sean May! Von Wafer, I could take or leave. Practice squad is calling.

Toronto - And the winner for worst draft of any team by a country mile is... I wonder if there are any Toronto fans left. This team has absolutely no direction whatsoever. None! Two years ago, they draft Chris Bosh, who by all accounts is well on his way to becoming a star. That's great. How do they follow it up? The next two seasons, they reach (and I mean reach) on two first round picks who are not only way out of their league, but play the same position as Bosh! What the hell are you doing, Rob Babcock? Charlie Villanueva may yet turn out to be a good player, but he is not worthy of being #7 overall and he will flail in Toronto. Truly awful. Between this and giving away Vince Carter, I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors wind up with the worst record in the league next year.

Portland - Because what this team needs is another high school player. One that will definitely be impressed upon by Portland's stand-up (ha!) roster. Taking Webster over Gerald Green took balls. Putting him in the backcourt with Sebastian Telfair (himself only a year out of high school) could be disasterous early on. To top it off, Portland made waves by trading out of the #3 spot because they weren't interested in a point guard (Chris Paul was ready and waiting), then later in the draft they pull a trade with Denver to acquire the rights to Jarret Jack. Guess what position Jack plays? Point guard! And he isn't nearly as good as Paul is! Honestly, what? What are you thinking, Blazers?

Minnesota - Right upfront, let me say that I like Rashad McCants' game a lot. The guy could be terrific in this league. Great scorer, great ability. But, if you're going to replace headcase Latrell Sprewell, you don't do it with another headcase! McCants has an ego bigger than maybe anyone in this draft and at least 3/4 of the league. This is the stable influence you want replacing Sprewell? Okay, whatever.

All 2nd round high school selections - Check it out guys, you don't have guaranteed contracts and all of you (except for CJ Miles) have forfeited your college eligibility by signing with agents. Sucks for you. Hope it was worth it. Peace.

How about all the early college entries who had their minds poisoned with thoughts of being a first round pick, then went on to be undrafted? Matt Walsh, John Gilchrist, Randolph Morris, etc. Seriously? You thought you had a chance? Oy...
Sports Again?!

Last edited by #99; 06-30-2005 at 01:13 PM.
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

#99 has got this pretty much dead on. I hope Charlotte is serious about meshing their unit, not just relying on local boys to sell tickets. We'll see. Memphis and Miami did amazing, as did Boston. Of course, with West and Riley running the show, anything they touch turns to gold...which brings us to fool's gold...the Lakers...

No clue why Kobe drafted the pimple popper. Phil has a three year deal and this is clearly a kid who will need 3 years to make ANY kind of impact, good or bad. Are we rebuilding or pushing for a title at the end of year 3? I'm confused. Maybe the kid will get good and Riley or West will get him in a trade with Kupchak/Kobe for a bag of magic beans? Yep, I could see it.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Lakers obviously keeping their chips in for the long haul. I have yet to see young (YOUNG!) Bynum in action, and the other two 'fellers' look like bench warmers too, at least for a while (well I could see Ronny contributing right away possibly). I don't have as many issues with Bynum as 99 does; I trust their judgement. (Phil was on board with this decision as well). The Lakers needed a good center, and I think Andrew will be that. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

However, with Phil back on board and hopefully a better roll of the dice injury-wise, LA will make the playoffs next year and continue to improve. I don't think anyone sees a title- condending team there within the next 3 years.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

See that's the thing, Shawndo. The Lakers need more than just a better roll of the dice, injury-wise. They need talent. It just seems hard to justify taking a project like Bynum when there were clearly several other players available who could have stepped in and contributed immediately. Sean May and Danny Granger were still available.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Agreed, 99, they do need more.. in order to become a title contender. But a better roll injury-wise and PJ will get them to the playoffs at least, I'll wager.
Bynum must have REALLY wowed the brass during his LA workout.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

or maybe Bynum wowed them at the dinner table. kids looks like Fat Albert. more like the second coming of Oliver Miller then the second coming of Shaq.

Last edited by blackdogsong; 06-30-2005 at 01:34 PM.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Lakers should be improved, but not enough. People have to realize that Golden State and the Clippers are also on the rise. We are early here, but I can't see the Lakers winning more than 40 games and finishing any higher than 10th.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Plus, it also sounds as though the Clippers may actually make a serious run at landing Ray Allen, Micheal Redd, or Joe Johnson.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
Lakers should be improved, but not enough. People have to realize that Golden State and the Clippers are also on the rise. We are early here, but I can't see the Lakers winning more than 40 games and finishing any higher than 10th.
Well how about a friendly bet then? I'll wager $20 the Lakers make the playoffs, but that bet is only offered to buckeye
Old 07-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

doublee...

I heard they want Allen bad. Not sure though, we are dealing with the Clippers here. What's up with Bobby Simmons? How come he isn't getting any love? Today's Cleveland Plain Dealer posted all these guards stats today (as the Cavs continue to look to spend their dough), and Simmons held his own. He's 25, same as Redd, plus he shoots at a higher clip, is a better defender, and a much better rebounder.

Shawn...

I don't think so. I'll do you one better though. If the Lakers make the playoffs, I'll spend the dough and go to their first playoff game. Might as well throw that in the mix. I told my wife if Ohio State makes the Rose Bowl against USC (NC game this year, and both teams are ranked high) that I'm DEFINITELY going. Between that and the insane amount of cash I spent on a pair of Stones/Pearl Jam tickets at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, I think the strain from my wife will exceed any monetary bet....oh yeah, strain would be an understatement at that point.