Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Soccer

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Had it been you, Dave or Kevin saying what InTheNet said, you're right, it would be more of a case of being realistic, under what I've seen from you guys. However, InTheNet and myself have been touting the team a bit higher. Hell, check out his first post in this thread...

Don't worry though, InTheNet, when they get that 2-2 draw to the Czechs and go up 2-0 on Italy late, the USA soccer bandwagon will undoubtedly have room.
Ah. Gotcha.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 AM   #17
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How do you spell bail from the bandwagon quickly?
I accept the obvious rapidly! Poor performance overall. Fixes? Let's see how Bruce Arena rebounds and team rebounds against Venezuela in friendly match.... THE USE MEN'S SOCCER TEAM STILL HAS MY SUPPORT, but I want to see real offensive improvements in next match... if not... going to Germany is a huge waste of time....
Old 05-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #18
Hall of Famer

I think the big problem regarding attack is that, all things considered, Landon Donovan -- who we need at attacking midfield -- is the best forward on the team. McBride needs help up front and can produce if partnered correctly with someone at forward. Josh Wolff is a playmaker, but has scarcely found the back of the net in recent months and injury-prone Eddie Johnson has yet to recapture the form he had during qualifying. Nevermind Brian Ching being on the squad (and probably never seeing action), the forwards who do play regularly need to find a way to get their mojo running again.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't worry though, InTheNet, when they get that 2-2 draw to the Czechs and go up 2-0 on Italy late, the USA soccer bandwagon will undoubtedly have room.
I may not agree but I gotta love the precision of these predictions.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I cannot believe there wasn't room for Freddie Adu in the US squad. I know his first team chances have been limited, but the world cup is famous for making stars of young players. Adu could have been used off the bench in the group games to get experience for 2010 if anything.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #21
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I cannot believe there wasn't room for Freddie Adu in the US squad...
Pimpbot: I believe Adu was on the Potential Players list, just behind Oscar and Big Bird!

Can you tell us anything that Adu has done recently that would warrant his inclusion? I know his excessive $500,000 MLS salary would be an attractive grab, but beyond that, I see growing talent not there yet with young Adu. Nothing more!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #22
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
I may not agree but I gotta love the precision of these predictions.
The one game I am unsure about completely is the Ghana match, which I think could go either way. The Italy pick I'm pretty confident in, though.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:08 AM   #23
Hall of Famer

Ghana is definitely a wild card, for sure. The African teams always seem to be the trickiest to handicap. There's always at least one that makes a shocking run and produces some upsets. Could very well be the Black Stars this year.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm curious to know how the US is supposed to score 4 goals in its first three games, nevermind in two of them.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #25
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think scoring goals will wind up being their biggest issue. I'm certainly more concerned about their defense than I am their offense. Their offense will be fine. They're especially fine offensively in the midfield. Their defense is the area they don't really know about right now, which is why I think they'll give up 2 goals to the Czechs.

The Italy game, I expect Italy will try to get that first goal and then sit on the lead, like they love to do. I don't think the Italians will come in thinking they're as good as everyone else seems to think they are, which is probably the thing that hurts USA the most. USA is the better team. I just wonder whether the Italians will recognize that, if they do, a draw becomes a better possibility. USA has got to score first in that game, specifically the earlier the better.

And again, I've no clue what could happen in the Ghana game.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #26
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't think the Italians will come in thinking they're as good as everyone else seems to think they are, which is probably the thing that hurts USA the most. USA is the better team. I just wonder whether the Italians will recognize that, if they do, a draw becomes a better possibility.
I don't know where you are, but it isn't Earth. You're dreaming, mate. I think the US can get a draw against Italy, but to say that "USA is the better team" is just nonsense. Also, if their play of late and the makeup of their roster is any indication, the Italians will be more attack-minded than in the past. That spells big trouble for us.

Goal scoring will be a problem at forward, but I think the midfield could supply some production, particularly from Donovan and Beasley.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #27
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Doug, that comment could come back to haunt you. lol
Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I'm pretty sure I once said that Alfonso Soriano is going to be a poor man's Mariano Duncan at one point in my sports analysis life. These Team USA predictions are nothing.

To be honest, I just don't think Italy is all they are cracked up to be by folks. My predictions aren't all that wild other than this one, I mean, I'm calling the Czech game a draw, which isn't spectacularly out there even if most think the Czech's will win. With Ghana, I just don't know.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #29
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Group A preview: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...ew_group_a.php

Group B preview: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...ew_group_b.php

More to come!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #30
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Group C preview: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...ew_group_c.php