Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default Falcons sign Leftwich

I'm sort of torn on this. I surely don't want the QB controversy that's going to go along with this, But Harrington has shown that once he is pressured, he has no idea what to do with the football. Harrington holds the ball way too long, but then again, so does Leftwich. But I guess $7 mil over 2 years is a pretty good deal, regardless.

Oh, and Prater is gone at kicker. Morten Anderson starts his 20th stint with the team.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

2...3 weeks and he's the starter Mikey?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I really don't know. It's hard to get a feel for anything about this team right now. The fans are calling for him already, so I'm guessing 2 weeks, 3 max. If the game this weekend is a blowout either way, he could even see time in the 4th, although it's highly unlikely.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

There is a very good chance you guys will get a steal on this one Mike. Leftwich got straight up shafted by my Jags a week before the season and all the bad talk about him is just that in my opinion. He is going to be very motivated to prove Del Rio and the Jags FO wrong, I am just glad we already played you and he is on an NFC team.

He was 24-20 as a starter on a team that was rebuilding, 51/36 TD-INT ratio, and his last healthy season in 2005 it was 15/5.

He has mobility issues obviously, but if they game plan properly (3 and 5 step drops and shotgun) he could be very effective for you guys.

I was at the Jags-Falcons game on Sunday and your WR's are better than the Jags, which I didn't think was the case before hand. They got good separation, Harrington just had a lot of problems deciding where to go with the ball. That isn't an issue with Leftwich, he makes quick decisions, just takes him a long time to release the ball.

From what I have heard, Petrino's offense is pretty detailed, so I would say probably 4 weeks or so until he is up to speed and able to compete for the starter's job. Maybe the Saints game, or right after the bye week. Of course if Harrington completely sucks the next few weeks that might speed up the timeline.

I wish Byron all the best, he deserves a lot better treatment from the fans and team than he got here in Jax, and so long as he doesn't mistreat dogs there is no reason that city won't get behind him. Good luck to you guys and Byron especially.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What a dumb move! All this is going to get the Falcons is a lower draft pick next spring, and, if they finish ahead of the Saints in the NFC South - now a very real possibility - a tougher schedule next fall.

And here is where contemporary cultural attitudes enter the picture: 40 or 50 years ago, this move would have made sense because back then a real stigma was attached to finishing in last place; in this day and age, by contrast, if you didn't win the Super Bowl, you might as well have finished with the worst record in the league.

The Falcons needed to take their lumps, draft Brian Brohm, and let the problem Michael Vick caused with his dogfighting exploits create its own solution.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What a dumb move! All this is going to get the Falcons is a lower draft pick next spring, and, if they finish ahead of the Saints in the NFC South - now a very real possibility - a tougher schedule next fall.

And here is where contemporary cultural attitudes enter the picture: 40 or 50 years ago, this move would have made sense because back then a real stigma was attached to finishing in last place; in this day and age, by contrast, if you didn't win the Super Bowl, you might as well have finished with the worst record in the league.

The Falcons needed to take their lumps, draft Brian Brohm, and let the problem Michael Vick caused with his dogfighting exploits create its own solution.
So in other words, screw the fans who bought season tix, and have stuck through the team through the entire Vick mess, and just tank the season. To me, this makes a statement to the fans that they are not content and want to make a run and try to win some games. As a fan of this team, I'm all for it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
NFL_shark
Rookie Player

NFL_shark is on a distinguished road

I think that this is a great move, Leftwich is a warrior and Harrington is not the answer anywhere. He got a bad deal at Jacksonville, this should work out for both the Falcons and Letfwich.

What's it going to take to get Morten Andersen out of the league? Are there seriously no better kickers out there?
NFL_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The Falcons had to do something proactive. It's a solid move no matter what direction they ultimately take down the road...

Joey has talent which keeps teams wishin' & hopin' but the reality always shines thru that he's just not mentally tough enough to make it happen. A shame but the truth. The Falcons trying the 'tank' method to try & get better would have them burned at the stake by fans & media by the end of the year IMO...

P.S. Welcome to the boards, shark...
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
So in other words, screw the fans who bought season tix, and have stuck through the team through the entire Vick mess, and just tank the season. To me, this makes a statement to the fans that they are not content and want to make a run and try to win some games. As a fan of this team, I'm all for it.

Then again, if the NFL had a lottery, this scenario would not arise; or at the absolute least, if the AFC wins the Super Bowl whoever had the worst record in the NFC should get the first pick, and if the NFC wins the Super Bowl whoever had the worst record in the AFC gets the first pick. In addition to taking away the incentive to tank games, this move would also foster competitive balance between the two conferences, and maybe the AFC won't win the next 20 Super Bowls in a row.

And I'll add salary-cap considerations to my list of reasons why this wasn't a desirable move.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-20-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I hope it works out for them.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I do too.... I'm no Falcons fan by any means, but those fans deserve better. One bad apple should not ruin an entire franchise.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it is a perfect match to me.

Leftwich is a QB that was screwed over by a team, and the Falcons are a team that was screwed over by a QB.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So the stigma of your star QB killing dogs is what you want your customers to hang their hat today as well as 40 to 50 years from now?

At the very least it is seen as "moving on" which is an image move. Translation: $ move. And it worked. We have a test bunny right here. Mike is now happy.

That is the issue here...not some half-baked theory on how people don't accept 2nd or 3rd place finishes today but I expect nothing less from you Anthony whenever I stumble into the NFL forum.

Keep 'em comin'...

And welcome aboard NFL_shark. Hope to see you around.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #14
Anthony

If only the Eagles could have "moved on" as decisively after T.O.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Welcome, NFL_shark. :wavey:

I like this move, and who didn't see it coming? Anthony, advocating tanking is a scary proposition and hurts the integrity of the league if teams were to give up. The Falcons have a responsibility to their fans to do whatever they can do to win.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote