Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default Bye Bye Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh got a big win in there quest to win the AFC North. However they had an even bigger loss when Willie Parker broke his leg.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271220014

Not that they could beat New England anyway but now i would be suprised if they even win a playoff game.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Yup... agree 100% here... they are done. Ben can't carry the offense by himself - he will be exposed for the crappy QB he is. I know they have an easy game week 17 (can't think who it is against though???). But if the Browns get by Cincy this week and then end with a win against the 9ers... they could take the division if Pittsburgh stumbles...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Pittsburgh plays the Ravens next week and given how they have imploded the last two months they should be able to take that one since there is a chance Troy Smith could be starting that game.

I wouldn't write Pittsburgh completely off. Davenport tore it up last night and showed we he can potentially do if given the chance and he is a large back with relatively fresh legs at this stage.

But, like you guys said they probably were not going to get past the Pats even with a healthy Parker.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't write Pittsburgh off yet. Najeh Davenport isn't a slouch, and their defense is more than capable of carrying them through the playoffs.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I actually think they can beat Jax.... Pitt has the playoff experience so I think although Jax handed it to 'em last time they played (at Heinz Field), I think the Steelers may pull off the "upset" here.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

You should hope so Steve because Jacksonville is a huge threat to new england whereas Pitt isn't at all. I think pitt loses though.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I don't see why Jacksonville is such a threat... everytime they get into the playoffs we are warned to "watchout" and they do nothing...
I think they'll prob beat Pittsburgh due to the fact that Pitt lost Parker, but no way can this team keep up with NE offense...
The only team I expect to give NE a game is Indy.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

THe only time this Jags team made the playoffs was two Years ago and they lost to the Pats. SO they haven't had many chances and I believe they are better with Garrard then they are with Leftwich.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
I don't see why Jacksonville is such a threat... everytime they get into the playoffs we are warned to "watchout" and they do nothing...
I think they'll prob beat Pittsburgh due to the fact that Pitt lost Parker, but no way can this team keep up with NE offense...
The only team I expect to give NE a game is Indy.
Because any team that runs and protects the football and plays defense as well as Jacksonville does is always going to be perceived as a threat in the postseason.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

DM3 - yeah, you are right about Garrard....
Dblee - I hear ya too.... and I agree. Although it always seems like these teams are a "threat" but never deliver. I guess only time will tell.

I just have a feeling the Steelers may surprise everyone and pull this off.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Steelers better enjoy it while they can - because next year they will have to take the biggest jump in strength of schedule from what they played this season, not only in the whole league, but it will be the steepest year-to-year rise any team has had to take in literally decades.

For the sordid details, see the "Strength of Schedule: 2007 vs. 2008" thread.

Ouch!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
DM3 - yeah, you are right about Garrard....
Dblee - I hear ya too.... and I agree. Although it always seems like these teams are a "threat" but never deliver. I guess only time will tell.
But they do deliver more often than the teams that have the high-powered passing game and little else to offer.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
But they do deliver more often than the teams that have the high-powered passing game and little else to offer.
I just wonder about teams with zero playoff experience... as DM3 noted, they were there in 2005 but that was under Leftwich... so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The Steelers better enjoy it while they can - because next year they will have to take the biggest jump in strength of schedule from what they played this season, not only in the whole league, but it will be the steepest year-to-year rise any team has had to take in literally decades.

For the sordid details, see the "Strength of Schedule: 2007 vs. 2008" thread.

Ouch!
Anthony - I'm not buying that SOS list.. I think it is pretty irrelavant. Just because you have to play some teams that were good this year do not mean they will be good next year, and vise versa - some of the bad teams will be good.

Baltimore went from 13-3 to straight garbage!
Packers went from a joke to the best record (tied) in the NFC...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #14
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Also, take a look at the teams that beat Jax this year... Colts a couple times, New Orleans.... Tampa and Houston.

Jax couldn't keep up with the Colt's or NO's offense... you think they will be able to keep up with the Pats?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Yes because Moss proved in the Philly game if you hit him in the mouth he gets uninterested and that is why I give the Jags a fighting chance.