Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: What team do you want to get out of the MLB?
Expos 4 57.14%
Rockies 0 0%
Twins 0 0%
Other 1 14.29%
None 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2001, 06:00 PM   #1
jeremyn
Grizzled Veteran

jeremyn is on a distinguished road
Default Getting rid of MLB teams?

I read an article in a newspaper that talked about how the MLB might be getting rid of teams. Has anyone else heard this? I started a pole here that has to do with this.

------------------------------------------------
Do you live in New York? Send me an e-mail for info on how to get Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Yanks, and Mets tickets. E-mail: [email protected]
jeremyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:39 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting rid of MLB teams?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyn
I read an article in a newspaper that talked about how the MLB might be getting rid of teams. Has anyone else heard this? I started a pole here that has to do with this.
There is no "might" involved. It is OFFICIAL -- MLB will have 28 teams next year instead of 30, which it had for the previous 2001 season.

We already have several threads on this issue:
https://www.sports-central.org/commu...&threadid=2563
https://www.sports-central.org/commu...&threadid=2553
https://www.sports-central.org/commu...&threadid=2523

As for this thread, I voted "other" 'cuz I think the Marlins & the Expos should go. Montreal has had their winning teams... they've gone through a rebuilding process and it seems that unless it's the NHL's Montreal Canadiens, the city of Montreal cannot support a losing team. The fans had the chance to prove themselves and support the team through a rebuiling process, but didn't. They had the oppoturnity to see the likes of MLB superstars Larry Walker and Pedro Martinez, and the future MLB stars of Valdimir Geurrero and Jose Vidro.

They failed.

Sobeit -- they lose their team.... it's the EXACT same situation for the Marlins -- they've had their winning team and couldn't care to support anything less than that. But if any other team goes.. well..... here's my opinions.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 01:17 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I voted for the Expos, although I think the Expos AND either the D-Rays/Marlins should be contracted.

Here's a NEW article posted today on this issue: https://www.sports-central.org/colum...dition48.shtml
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:12 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don't overlook the realignment aspects of all this contraction stuff, and the self-serving agendas certain clubs have - the Diamondbacks don't want to move the AL, the Rangers want out of the AL West, etc. Assuming they're actually going to go ahead with this - and I'm not firmly convinced of that yet - either of the two Florida teams "deserve" to be liquidated more than the Twins do (there doesn't seem to be much doubt that the Expos will definitely be one of the teams to be dropped).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:45 AM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I voted for "none". Baseball might have expanded too much in the past 30 years, but the problems are solvable through negotiated settlements between the management and the players. This "draconian" approach won't solve the problems. Its only a bandaid that Mr. Selig has attempted to put on to stop the bleeding.
Sorry, Bud. You need to examine the entire situation and come up with a negotiated solution that is mutually acceptable and will benefit the fans as much as it benefits the owners and players.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 03:13 AM   #6
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Even though the D'Backs won the World Series, I think it was the 29th and 30th teams that was the straw that killed the camel's back.

Killing the Twins off (if that's what happens if those whiny owners get their way) is not the way to go. I think everybody is in agreement that the Expos should go. But the next team to go should be the D'Rays with their non-existant success or history. Both the Marlins and Twins have bright futures. Why did baseball decide to stick a second team in TB anyways?

In that case, do all your realignment, moving AZ to AL West, the Rangers to the Central and then a team like Detroit or Cleveland (for some reason I can see Detroit making the move the easiest to the AL East) to the AL East.

I agree with Catman though. The owners need to smarten up. The two less teams aren't going to solve the money situation. It'll strengthen the game a bit, but it'll make it more longer and boring. You should start with a salary floor and not even have a real cap, the owners should realize that 25 mil for a player is waaay too much to even offer. Then fix that joke of a revenue sharing program and you got some solutions. I know the players aren't gonna accept all of this, but you have to find some compromise in there somewhere.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 04:17 AM   #7
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

About the Expo's i think they should just move the team... not get rid of it
Old 11-09-2001, 11:17 AM   #8
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I dont know. 30 teams seems nice and round to me. I think the struggling teams should just be moved. Like to Indiana, for example.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 06:47 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate
I dont know. 30 teams seems nice and round to me. I think the struggling teams should just be moved. Like to Indiana, for example.
Well, while we're discussing players like Indiana and Anchorage, Alaska, why not Winnipeg!? :lol:

..if we here in Manitoba draw 7,000 fans EVERY NIGHT for a Northern League baseball game, I'm sure we can out-draw Montreal's 4,000-or-less for a PRO baseball team!!!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote