Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win Super Bowl XXXVIII?
Carolina Panthers 9 40.91%
New England Patriots 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #31
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think the two-week wait is the worst idea in the history of sports (except maybe NBA's making a five-game series take a full two weeks two years ago).

Senior Bowl is Saturday, so... at least there's that.

The two week lag allows teams to get their transportation, reservations, all that logistical stuff all set as well permitting for healthier teams come Super Bowl Day.

I think the biggest problem in the hype is that the media can't help but write about it. Instead of sort of doing an initial bit or two the day after the CGs, they could give up on it for the remainder of the week, but... instead, they do stories that even they can't imagine they're doing. But, it allows them the time to get their logistics completed, although that really shouldn't be that big a deal. They could be setting up a lot of locale stuff way ahead of time, unless the it were to be that a home team were in the Super Bowl.

I'm not opposed to a Super Bowl move to Saturday... but I don't think the day between getting back to work and the game itself would keep folks from calling in sick.

Dave
Old 01-24-2004, 05:10 AM   #32
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Packers3045
^^^^^^ I wouldnt mind a consolation game between the two losers in the Conference Championship Games. That way we'll be entertained and it would determine the third place team

As I have pointed out in several previous posts, such a game once actually did exist; known as the Playoff Bowl, it was played between 1960 and 1969. From 1960 through 1966, the teams that finished second in each of the two seven-team conferences the pre-merger NFL had at that time played in it; when the NFL realigned into four 4-team divisions with the addition of the Saints in 1967 (the Falcons came aboard in 1966, and the Eastern Conference had eight teams that year, although Atlanta actually played all 14 of the other teams once each in '66), the losers of the two first-round playoff games met in the Playoff Bowl. All ten of the games were held at the Orange Bowl in Miami (the original Orange Bowl - not the current stadium the Dolphins play in which is sometimes affectionately referred to as the Pigeon-Toed Orange Bowl).

When the NFL-AFL merger took effect in 1970, the original plan was to have the conference championship-game losers meet in the Playoff Bowl, with the game being held the week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl. However, after putting the matter to a vote, the idea did not get the necessary three-fourths majority for passage - but as a compromise to the owners who had supported retaining the game, it was decreed that from then on the head coaches of the teams that lost the conference championship games would always be the head coaches in the Pro Bowl - a practice that has endured to this day.

In the event that the Playoff Bowl were to be revived, the best chance of making it a success would be to play it in a foreign country - a different one every year - thus transferring the "American Bowl" from the preseason to the postseason (perhaps even renaming it as the American Bowl), and always playing it the Sunday between the conference title games and the Super Bowl. Then, at the Super Bowl site, a Playoff Bowl trophy to its winning team could be presented after the Super Bowl is played; following the game, the Playoff Bowl/American Bowl trophy presentation would be made first (its official name could be the Bert Bell Trophy, since the official name of the original Playoff Bowl was actually the Bert Bell Benefit Bowl), followed by the presentation of the appropriate conference championship trophy to the Super Bowl loser (instead of awarding this immediately after the conference title games themselves, as is done now), followed by, of course, the presentation of the Vince Lombardi Trophy to the Super Bowl champion.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-24-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #33
jonnyboone71923
Grizzled Veteran

jonnyboone71923 is on a distinguished road

Where do you get all this knowledge about the sport, Anthony. I wish that I could know half of the facts you provide us on here.
jonnyboone71923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #34
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnyboone71923
Where do you get all this knowledge about the sport, Anthony. I wish that I could know half of the facts you provide us on here.
Seriously, how do u know so much? You can answer like every question anyone has. Its amazing!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #35
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Patriots - 31
Panthers -17
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:58 AM   #36
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I think the Pats will win.

</extensive football knowledge>

Anyone else here pumped for the All-Star Survivor (ASS ) primeier after the superbowl!?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #37
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, I just got on this thread.

Well, it is too early to make a prediction, for me. I will have one for you by Saturday.

Right now, I am thinking PATs because they are just all-around more solid that the Panthers.

The numbers say New England will win this one, but when I match up these two teams in my mind, they seem about even.

Also, New England has the upper hand because they know what it's like to be in the big game. I bet that the players who were on the Super Bowl team, two years ago, are a lot more collected and know how they can prepare them selfs.

But, I don't know, soon I will have my final prediction with score, mvp, and stuff like that.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #38
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default Game within the Game

Could you believe that this year's Super Bowl will be a game of "NO OFFENSE?"

I can and I do.

Most people say it will be a defensive struggle, but I think it will be a game of "NO OFFENSE!"

Both of these squads are RUN-N-SHOOT football teams ... and that means both teams have a tendency to shoot themselves in the proverbial foot! In fact, I think it is the game within the game and I have dubbed it, "Nothing works up the middle."

The Super Bowl could be rather laughable. I imagine two teams that COULD give it their all to determine how inept they can be!

There are alot of angles to this game that are just to cumbersome to post and I wish I had found this message base sooner ... I'd love to talk about them!

PREDICTION: If the Panthers can keep the score close (under 7 points), they will win with a highly-proficient, mind-numbing, no-doubt game-winning drive! If the Patriots open a sizable lead (+10 points), then the panther isn't likely to strike and the game will be rather uneventful.
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #39
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Bad news for Pats fans.

The annual Sony/989 party during which a player from each team match up in the most recent version of NFL Gameday went to the Panthers.

Why is this significant? In the 8 years it's been played, the winner during the GameDay video game matchup has won the Super Bowl.

Bill Simmons gives us the blow-by-blow in today's first entry of his "blog."

Dave
Old 01-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #40
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^too bad the game sucks ass. Where's a madden simulation when you need one?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #41
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

Im takeing the Panthers,for all the people who think this game will be a blow out your wrong.All the sports writers in Iowa think blow out.Half the time they dont know what they are talking about.Go Panthers!!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:19 PM   #42
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm going with Carolina because of their defense and running attack.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #43
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So, I understand that folks want a competitive matchup, and I don't begrudge anyone that. But, I'd like to have someone who truly believes, if such folk exist on this board, why it is that Carolina even has a prayer in this game?

Nearly everyone protests that the Panthers have a dangerous defense. I know their defense is good, but... let's take a look at his for a second, shall we?
(These are regular season numbers.)
Point Allowed per game: 19
Yards allowed per pass attempt: 6.16
Yards allowed per rush attempt: 4.0
INTs: 16
Defensive TDs scored: 3
TD passes allowed: 19
TD rushes allowed: 10

I'm looking at these numbers feeling very underwhelmed.

Kris Jenkins has been getting loads of press this week. Jenkins has an extraordinary number of TFLs (tackles for loss), but an underwhelming number of tackles, given his press clippings over the last two weeks, anyway. 46 tackles in 16 games. He averages just under 3 tackles per game. What's so incredible about that?

Ted Washington of New England, who plays fewer downs, and who missed 6 games with a broken leg, finished the season with 40 tackles, a four tackle per game average.

Some numbers of varying value:
Delhomme threw 19 TDs to 16 INTs. That's a pretty awful TD:INT ratio. And he's being compared to Tom Brady? Puh-lease. In Brady's first year as a starter he had a 1.5-1 TD:INT ratio.

It strikes me as a somewhat mythical comparison, for the purposes of, I don't know, lowering the spread? Or boosting ratings? Let's please just end the comparison at first year NFL starter in the Super Bowl.

Brady this year threw 23 TDs to 12 INTs, for the record.

New England's stats on the above categories noted in the Carolina rundown above:
Points allowed per game: 14.9
Yards allowed per pass attempt: 5.64 Led league
Yards allowed per rush attempt: 3.6
INTs: 29
Defensive TDs: 5
TD passes allowed: 11
TD rushes allowed: 10

I keep hearing/reading that the Pats haven't faced this kind of defense this season. You can find such a comment on si.com's NFL page.
No one seems to want to say that the Panthers haven't faced this kind of defense, either.

I heard in an interview Ricky Manning, Jr. say that the strength of the Pats O was their receivers. It's good of him to notice. Wouldn't want him to come in, a superstar after just one game, cocky.

The Panthers allow per pass attempt about what Brady averaged through the season. The Panthers allow more per rush attempt than the Pats average.

The Pats allow per pass attempt far less than Delhomme. The Pats also allow per rush attempt a good deal less than the Panthers normally achieve.

Oh, and just to be deferential to the mass media, a defensive stat that I didn't note was sacks: [color=light blue]CAR=40[/color]
[color=dark blue]NE=41[/color].

I'm struggling to understand all this hubbaloo based on Carolina's defense.

This game stands a good chance of being close because both teams, for good or ill, tend to play games close.

I have a sense, though, that the story will be somewhat similar to the Pats-Colts game. It was close on the scoreboard, but not in the hearts of the players. The Colts got drubbed.

I have the sense that a 27-21 final is going to look much closer than it was.

Of course, that requires that Carolina can actually SCORE any points.

Dave
Old 01-30-2004, 07:20 AM   #44
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnyboone71923

If I knew as much as you think I do, then how come I was twelve games under .500 against the spread in my picks during the regular season?:lol:

However, I do know this about Super Bowl history: Of the 37 Super Bowls played so far, 30 had a week off before the game - and in those 30 Super Bowls, the favorites were 20-10 against the spread, the average margin of victory was 17.3 points, and ten of them, or 33.3 per cent, were "blowouts" as defined by 1980s-era betting guru Dan Gordon, who awarded the title of "blowout" to any game having a final margin of 21 points or more. By contrast, in the seven Super Bowls where there was no idle week preceding the game, the favorites are 1-6 against the spread, the average victory margin is only 11.6 points, and only one of the seven games, or 14.3 per cent, was a blowout (last year's game). Remember also that Carolina was the number 3 seed in the NFC - and no third seed (from either conference) has ever won the Super Bowl in a non-strike year; indeed, only one 3 seed has ever even gotten to the game following an uninterrupted regular season previously, and that was in Super Bowl XIV, when the then-Los Angeles Rams lost 31-19 to Pittsburgh as an 11 1/2-point (opening-line) underdog, with a missed extra point by Rams kicker Frank Corral providing the covering margin for those who bet on the Steelers.

Trends aside, though, the Patriots are the vastly superior team in this matchup, and I don't even know where to begin explaining why. So I won't, and will go on record as predicting that the final score will be:

New England 31, Carolina 7

Last edited by Anthony; 01-30-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #45
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default Statistics

In my years of watching the games in the NFL I have had a tendency to disregard STATISTICS. I haven't completely abandoned them, though. Statistics give us a GOOD feel for what might happen in the next games ... but statistics don't tell you the "WHY?"

These days I prefer philosophy. To look at the "WHY?" something happens can lead to some interesting insight!

Why are the Patriots favored? In my opinion, it is because the Patriots have too many options. I think it starts (in general) with that 3-4 defense ... a scheme that offers agility, pressure and confusion. Add to that a passing game that doesn't want to fail and you have frustration staring ya in the face.

Before you give it to the Patriots, you need to know that Carolina isn't intimidated by such a team ... they "live" to neutralize teams like New England.

One "key" to the game will be Carolina's ability to contain the Patriots' aggression. I don't expect the Panthers to tender any offense (until perhaps the very end of the game AND the score is UNDER 7).

It is very hard for experienced analysts (I don't consider myself an "analyst") to go against the tendency of aggression. Aggression tends to move the football and put points on the board.

I look forward to a good game, but I can accept an uneventful New England victory as well.

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE GAME!

Last edited by Ego_Maniac; 01-30-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote