Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Republican wants to arm teachers, principals, and others

I'll just put this one right here and walk away...:lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10....ap/index.html
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Yer just dyin' to get that musket out of mothballs, aren't cha???:lol:
Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I'll just put this one right here and walk away...:lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10....ap/index.html
Teachers should be heavily armed; with the crap they are teaching today I am surprised there aren't more gunfights at PTA meetings!
:lol:
Seriously though... schools should have guards, monitors, and some sort of evac plan... these school shootings are becoming far too numerous and always tragic... PROTECT OUR CHILDREN... no point protecting our airplanes at airports if we don't protect our children in schools!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I agree that some contengency plans should be in place, but to turn schools into "armed camps" is a bit too much for me. If people would learn a bit of responsibility for their actions, things would be somewhat better, I think.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I don't think you will ever get "armed" teachers in one-room Amish schoolhouses.

And with nearly one-third of all public schools having been declared as failing under the fundamentally flawed No Child Left Behind law, the schools are now severely underfunded and because of budget restraints they have had to lose important positions like a school resource officer (exactly what happened in Bailey, Colorado).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

It's not a bad idea to arm teachers as long as they can get a permit and have an outstanding background. Might cut down on students getting killed. Just an idea.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Funny that the Republicans are the same ones who are pressing to ban online gambling and poker due to the fact that it "hurts family values" and all that conservative, religious propaganda (Bill Frist, I'm talking to you). Yet they want guns.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I'm all for internet gambling, but I have to say that's a little over the top.

This is one state lawmaker who called for this...not the Senate Majority leader in the Federal Gov....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
It's not a bad idea to arm teachers as long as they can get a permit and have an outstanding background. Might cut down on students getting killed. Just an idea.
It is an idea that should be considered. Frankly I am tired of seeing children shot in schools and something needs to be done... consider... we tried to "ban" weapons from school and that hasn't worked has it? So what is the alternative? Armed teachers might be a first step. How about teaching courses in safe gun handling? We teach kids to use a condom how about a double action .357?

The whole idea of removing guns from schools makes schools vulnerable. We now protect our planes at the airports better than our children. Let's try something else... Vice Pricipals armed and doors monitored if nothing more... evac plans and locked down classes...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNet
We teach kids to use a condom how about a double action .357?
And the teachers take advantage of the condoms by sleeping with their students.

If we "arm" teachers, do they actually walk around with the gun on them throughout the entire day? What would stop a group of students from taking that teacher down, stealing his gun and still going on a rampage?

Does it really make that much sense to allow students easier access to guns? I would assume that more guns in the classroom would lead to more deaths in the school.

And, if other faculty members of the school are carrying a gun, do we expect the student and the teacher to have a shoot-out in the hallways with an increased likelihood of innocent people being killed?

I would rather have trained law enforcement personnel handling the matter, which is why school districts hire school resource officers. And that is also the reason why we need to look even deeper into the issue of how to fund these positions.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Does it really make that much sense to allow students easier access to guns?
Tightening access to guns HAS NOT stopped their use in high profile school shootings... three last week. Thus prohibition of firearms does not diminish school shootings...

Quote:
I would assume that more guns in the classroom would lead to more deaths in the school.
Perhaps. Perhaps it might not. Certainly some other path other than total prohibition is necessary.

Quote:
I would rather have trained law enforcement personnel handling the matter, which is why school districts hire school resource officers. And that is also the reason why we need to look even deeper into the issue of how to fund these positions.
When the instruction of morals in school was prohibited, what did you expect? Get to the root of the problem and you'll accomplish something... we are now training children in schools devoid or morals or values... we will have more rather than less violence in schools. The liberal educators have blood on their hands here...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

I am sorry to take up an entire space for a post just for this, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNet
When the instruction of morals in school was prohibited, what did you expect? Get to the root of the problem and you'll accomplish something... we are now training children in schools devoid or morals or values... we will have more rather than less violence in schools. The liberal educators have blood on their hands here...
...Huh?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I am sorry to take up an entire space for a post just for this, but...

...Huh?
Toby (bolded part answers your question):

With the Colorado and Pennsylvania school shootings very much in the news, Brian Rohrbough, the Dad Of A Columbine Victim Asks “Why Did This Happen?”
Posted on CBS Evening News: Free Speech. Worth Quoting Verbatim:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2057062.shtml

"I'm saddened and shaken by the shooting at an Amish school today, and last week’s school murders. When my son Dan was murdered on the sidewalk at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, I hoped that would be the last school shooting. Since that day, I’ve tried to answer the question, "Why did this happen?" This country is in a moral free-fall. For over two generations, the public school system has taught in a moral vacuum, expelling God from the school and from the government, replacing him with evolution, where the strong kill the weak, without moral consequences and life has no inherent value. We teach there are no absolutes, no right or wrong. And I assure you the murder of innocent children is always wrong, including by abortion. Abortion has diminished the value of children. Suicide has become an acceptable action and has further emboldened these criminals. And we are seeing an epidemic increase in murder-suicide attacks on our children. Sadly, our schools are not safe. In fact, we now witness that within our schools. Our children have become a target of terrorists from within the United States."
Old 10-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

What does any of that have to do with "arming" teachers with guns?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with "arming" teachers with guns?
While I support armed teachers to make classrooms safe, I encourage the solution of the problem first; i.e., start teaching kids morals and ethics and right and wrong rather than perpetuating the problem...