Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-22-2004, 04:14 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default High Sticks & Visors

The amount of high sticks and the amount of laser surgery for these guys is getting absolutely ridiculous in the NHL. This has gone way too far, and THIS TIME the direction I point my finger is at the players and the players themselves. There is no reason for a player not to wear a visor.

The excuses players come up with are unheard of. If you don't want to wear one than what ever (the league should MAKE them wear one by the way), but if you don't want to wear one you have absolutely no right to complain about these high sticks to the face, coming from the "new and improved" cheap sticks that break all over the ice, but you have no right to complain about this. I understand that most of them are complaining mostly about calls being missed on the ice, but do they not care about vision after their careers? Is Bryan Berard and his story not enough? Al MacInnis? Owen Nolan may never fully see again from his one eye, yet he talks about still not wearing a visor after the doctors clear him and the stubbornness from some of these guys is just unbelievable. What needs to be done here?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Doesn't Tucker wear a visor?? and isn't he out with an eye injury 'cuz of a high stick???

It should be left up to the players.... if they're gonna do it though, they should just do what don cherry says and put them in the full mask/cage and armor them up completely in steel and then let them play so they are all "invincible."
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Tucker doesn't wear a visor, if he had worn one the stick wouldn't have caught his eye or the chances would be slim, but he didn't wear one and that's why he's out with an eye injury!

Some of these players just don't get it, and once again it all starts with stubbornness. If I'm an owner, and I'm paying my guy millions of dollars to compete night in and night out, I don't care how comfortable or not they are because I'd be making them wear one. I don't care what Grapes says either about this, look at the European players...they seem to play the game just fine wearing the cage, sheild/mask what ever you want to call it.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

BobbyBaseball is on a distinguished road

I agree with Brian....If I have a 14 million dollar investment I'm gonna do whatever it takes to keep him as injury-free as possible. If that means making him wear a visor than so be it!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

The fact that the players aren't wearing visors isn't the problem.. Back in the 1970-1980's it was usual to have numerous players go without helmets.

I feel that the reason behind the high-sticking problem, is that players are becoming more careless with their sticks. They have to be in control of their stick at all time.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

The 70's and 80's were a totally different era. The equipment wasn't the same and guys weren't shooting as hard as they are today. Plus the game is a lot more physical today than it was 20 to 30 years ago. Why are players becoming careless? The respect factor isn't there anymore and these cheap sticks that players are using today are garbage.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Yup... they should use the wood sticks that they did in the pre-80s era... then only the best could shoot 90MPH. Imagine if MacInnis used one of those new sticks!!... his shot would be like 300MPH!!!... He's one of the few still using wood sticks (at least he was last time I checked) and still the best in the game.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Players keep saying that "so-and-so in this city got a stick in his eye and he was wearing the visor, so it doesn't change anything."

How can they be so stupid? They should know that the chances for the stick to go under the visor are slim. By wearing a visor, you are greatly reducing the chances of getting a stick in the face. If they don't understand that, then let a couple of them get blinded and then we'll see.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
journalist I.T.
Rookie Player

journalist I.T. is on a distinguished road
Post Visors in NHL

Hi there guys and girls. I am looking for some editorials and news commentary on the debate over visors in the NHL, if anyone has read a good article latele please let me know.
journalist I.T. is offline   Reply With Quote