Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road
Default Why does America dedicate a month to blacks, Black history month?

Why does America dedicate a month to blacks, Black history month?

I always wondered about this and realized it was February and the start of black history month. Are we all not Americans, do we really need to separate each other by race like this?

Why doesn't America have a White History month, an Asian month, a Latin Month and so on? Why do black people get a month and no other race is recognized like this?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

This question is similar to the one I asked a couple months ago about why is racism ok if you're not white...

Basically the answer I came to (thanks to everyone's input/feedback), is that there is still a lot more racism against African-Americans in this country than is acceptable. I don't live in a Southern state, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of it, but apparently it still proliferates down there.

To make a long story short, Black History Month and MLKjr. day are much needed reminders of this, and that we as a country still have much work to do to eliminate the anti-black racism that still goes on.

Heck, just watch a Chris Rock special or an episode of the Dave Chapelle show.... you'll see a disproportionately large amount of racist exaggeration jokes, which wouldn't be funny if that sort of thing no longer existed.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
MaddEnemy
Always next year

If that is the case, where is Native America month? I guess America cannot be racist towards Native Americans we killed them off. Just seems to me the Native Americans had it 90% worse than blacks. I mean I would rather pick cotton than have my race killed off. I just do not agree with black history month, if we recognize black people with a month Native Americans should have the same privilege and respect if not more but I guess the blacks had it worse.

Did Americans make slaves out of the Chinese building railroads? Ok, maybe they were not considered slaves but we kept them high on opium and treated them like dirt

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 02-04-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The Government made a concerted effort to placate the largest (at that time) of our minority groups. They were requesting "reparations" for slavery and this was done instead.
Blacks have been given special treatment for many years.
I, personally, am not a racist, but I am a bit tired of the silliness of these moves on the part of our Government. Everyone should take the time to read up on history, whether "Black" or not.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Black History Month was the brainchild of Dr. Carter Woodson in the 1920s, originally "Black History Week." ( check dates, I'm winging this from my African-American studies class in college over 15 years ago). Believe it became "Black History Month" in the 1970s, want to say 75 or 76? Leaning towards 76, brain telling me it is connected with the Bicentennial. Anyway, the month was chosen because it holds Lincoln's b-day and Frederick Douglass' as well ( don't ask me F.D.'s b-day, no clue). Two goals at it's core...

1. Counter racist climate of whites by educating them, as well as educating blacks, to advance their status in society.

2. The more lofty and idealistic goal of a more educated and sensitve nation being better able to live up to it's goals of freedom and democracy ( Dave put it best in the MLK thread by saying black advancement was in the interest of the health of the nation as a whole).

Hispanic Heritage month begins in September. Not sure of the date exactly. Has something to do with anniversaries of revolutions in Latin America ( google this stuff for exact dates here, I'm just squeezing info out of what's left of my brain).

Asian Pacific History ( might be Heritage like the Hispanic one) Month is May. Know that for sure because I helped change a flat tire for a history prof of mine during Finals week in May, in which he was late in getting to a conference on it ( he was of Asian Pacific ancestry) Got an A in that class too, so bonus with my mechanic skills.

Blah blah blah on when they all became officially recognized by the government. I'm thinking they may have been done in mass, proposed by bill, then enacted into law, but can't be sure ( know for sure liberals introduced it, but can't recall who)

Anyway, Britian's Black History Month is....October? Canada has one too.

Depending on where I've taught, every school has recognized the months in some way ( when in California, they obviously stressed the Hispanic Month), or else I did myself.

Why the publicity on Black History Month though Madd? Could be that until the last 10 to 15 years, African-Americans made up the VAST majority of minorities recognized by the U.S. government. Could be the importance of slavery on U.S. history as a whole ( by far the biggest event in our history in most historians opinions).

October is American-Italian Heritage Month. Know that one because of Columbus Day and all the spaghetti this Italian has eaten in his years going to events in my old Italian neighborhood !
Old 02-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #6
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddEnemy
If that is the case, where is Native America month?
LOL, my best friend is Native American and believe me I avoid that topic... kind of like opening a can of worms :lol:
but joking aside, you have a point... if the African Americans are getting their own month, so should the Native Americans.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Madd, black history month is not about throwing blacks a bone. It's to recognize the great achievements and advancements they've made in spite of being treated like secondary citizens until the 60's, and still to a lesser extent today. Blacks comprise a much larger percentage of the population than Asians or Native Americans, and that factors into it, besides the fact that there is no point in keeping some kind of "who is/was the most oppressed?" score like you want to. I don't expect you to agree with any of this, you've pretty much established yourself as having being a racist (Praising James Early Ray for killing MLK...everyone reading this knows he did that, right?) and having a serious grudge against blacks.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 02-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
(Praising James Early Ray for killing MLK...everyone reading this knows he did that, right?) and having a serious grudge against blacks.
Is that true, Madd????
Old 02-04-2005, 02:31 AM   #9
MaddEnemy
Always next year

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
Black History Month was the brainchild of Dr. Carter Woodson in the 1920s, originally "Black History Week." ( check dates, I'm winging this from my African-American studies class in college over 15 years ago). Believe it became "Black History Month" in the 1970s, want to say 75 or 76? Leaning towards 76, brain telling me it is connected with the Bicentennial. Anyway, the month was chosen because it holds Lincoln's b-day and Frederick Douglass' as well ( don't ask me F.D.'s b-day, no clue). Two goals at it's core...!
I didn't want to quote every thing but I never knew we recognized other races with months, all I ever heard about was black history month. I have noticed that or maybe I just donít see it but other aces donít make a stink as much as blacks do. Asians seem to come over here and work their ass off and donít grip how the government treats them. Seem to me and this is just IMO but blacks know how to play the system and if they cry enough they will get what they want.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:34 AM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

There is a Native American History Month too. Might be heritage, not sure? No clue on the month, wanna say late in the year.Connected with the large population in Alaska too.

I'm not digging my brain though on it or giving any more info here, I've dispelled enough myths tonight in this thread for now. I have to get up tommorrow and do this same stuff over again , but then I'll be getting paid for it.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:41 AM   #11
MaddEnemy
Always next year

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
Is that true, Madd????

It was a dumb comment, I said, "thanks to James E R for letting my wife have the day off". I used that to open into another comment later on in the forum. It was dumb and I feel bad for it.

I understand what everyone is saying Bean; I am learning here and trying to turn over a new leaf. I said something pretty stupid and I hope everyone here understands I feel bad for it and wont make comments like that again. I hope those who were offended by it will allow me to have a second chance at being apart of the discussions around here and will be active in communicating with me on the boards. No matter how many PM I send Bean trying to work out our issues without bringing everyone else into it he refuses to shake hands so to speak. I have honestly tried to settle things with Bean by PM and as I said he will not but he damn sure will act like a kid and post on the forums to bring up a fight again, Bean needs to grow up still and learn how to forgive. I made an error in judgement something he has never done I guess. Again, to all members of SC, I apologize for my comments in the past that offended you I am asking for a second chance to be apart of this community.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:44 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Shawn:

Quote:
I would like to thank James Earl Ray for allowing us to have this day off.

He said it on the second page of this thread:

https://www.sports-central.org/commu...=&pagenumber=2

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I've really had enough. I've always been 99.9999% sure Madd was a troll, but there was always 0.00001% possibility he was a straight-up guy that I just disagreed with on everything. Now I know he's a troll and in the interest of both preserving my repuation and setting the record straight....

Quote:
It was a dumb comment, I said, "thanks to James E R for letting my wife have the day off". I used that to open into another comment later on in the forum. It was dumb and I feel bad for it.

No matter how many PM I send Bean trying to work out our issues without bringing everyone else into it he refuses to shake hands so to speak... I have honestly tried to settle things with Bean by PM...
Madd has NEVER sent me a private message.

Not in attempt to bury the hatchet, or for any other reason.

I don't know how receptive I would've been if he ever would've sent me a private message, which sort of makes his plea for peace ironic, but I at least would have responded.

Record set.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:07 AM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Well, I'm hittin' the sack. If anyone's noticed I've been posting late night again, back in my post-gym nap phase keeping me up. If I don't see this thread open tommorrow, I think I'll know why.

Give me some credit for trying to put out some info and lighten the tone atleast a little though. Hey, I'm trying.

KB...Wanna have someone like Madd in your class as a teacher? Feel my pain Kevin, and give me a pass for workman's comp the next time we get into an argument on something!...K?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:10 AM   #15
MaddEnemy
Always next year

Here are 2 PM I sent him, I have them saved in my sent folder. Again Bean takes this off topic and we fight again. I am done Beane, now you lie to look good.

Quote:
Madd has NEVER sent me a private message.

Not in attempt to bury the hatchet, or for any other reason.

I don't know how receptive I would've been if he ever would've sent me a private message, which sort of makes his plea for peace ironic, but I at least would have responded.

Record set.

02-01-2005 04:31 PM

MaddEnemy
Always next year

Online!
beane
So why don't you be man enough to talk with me from the get go? Say what you need to say and get on with things, arguing between us on every other post just because you or I found something to bash the other about is not going to be good for the boards and people will not want to read about, well people like drama so maybe they will.

12-26-2004 01:08 AM

MaddEnemy
Always next year

Online!
Beane
I just want to apologize for some of the things I directed your way and hope we can just leave the past in the past. I have no problem with ya or anyone here. I would like to be on a friendly not with everyone here, may not be possible as not everyone gets along in life but I apologize.

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 02-04-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Closed Thread