Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #46
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm embarrassed to admit it, as I've never had a team to pull for in baseball and don't want to seem like a bandwagon fan. Also, I've bad-mouthed them in the past, but I find myself pulling for the Yankees and liking them. Something about the mystique of them and the pinstripes is appealing. And hey, the only MLB game I've been to was at Yankee Stadium. I might be turning into a Yankee fan...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #47
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong with liking a team, Marc. As long as you are pulling for them for the right reason, not just because they are playing well.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #48
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

"mystique of them and the pinstripes is appealing" is 100% the wrong reason, however.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #49
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Joe Torre has trotted Ronnie Belliard out there 5 straight games...not only that, but, he's batting second in the lineup today.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #50
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I prefer Orlando Hudson, both offensively and defensively. I guess he won't be signing with the Dodgers again. He did, however, hit a solo homer tonight.

Catman
Old 10-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #51
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, leaving Hudson on the bench every game was absolutely silly. Torre also did a ridiculously bad job with the pitching rotation. Billingsley not a starter, going with Padilla tonight over Kershaw. Just awful stuff out of Torre.

I don't want to say Torre lost them that series, but, he did not put them on their best footing and you need to be at your best the way these Phillies play.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #52
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Yeah, leaving Hudson on the bench every game was absolutely silly. Torre also did a ridiculously bad job with the pitching rotation. Billingsley not a starter, going with Padilla tonight over Kershaw. Just awful stuff out of Torre.
I don't know, from what I saw out of Kershaw in relief it did not look as though he had much to offer anyway. He was topping out around 93 on the gun when he is typically pushing triple digits.

To be fair I am not sure how one makes a case for Kershaw over Padilla when he was awful in game one while Padilla gave the Dodgers seven strong innings in game two.

Quote:
I don't want to say Torre lost them that series, but, he did not put them on their best footing and you need to be at your best the way these Phillies play.
I have never ever been a huge fan of Torre as a manager. He is the Phil Jackson of baseball. He is great at rallying the troops and building team chemistry but the nuances and strategy of the game are lost on him.

Just to tell you how little ESPN cares about the NLCS they feel compelled enough to send Tim Kurkjian to cover the ALCS but did not send anyone to cover the NLCS.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #53
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
To be fair I am not sure how one makes a case for Kershaw over Padilla when he was awful in game one while Padilla gave the Dodgers seven strong innings in game two.
But, it's Vicente Padilla.

Seriously, here's the case for Kershaw over Padilla...Kershaw was awful and Padilla gave the Dodgers seven strong innings in game 2. You make the case yourself. You can't expect Padilla to be strong for another seven innings against the Phillies. So, I don't take Padilla's first start as indication he needs to go again and pitch ahead of Kershaw especially, because at some point the real Vicente Padilla will show up and that's what happened last night.

As for Kershaw being awful, he made a mistake pitch to Ruiz and then fell apart. That was in the 5th inning. Not the first time that has happened to Kershaw. You give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he can go longer in his second appearance against them.

You don't go with Padilla because Padilla is an average pitcher. The rotation should have been Billingsley-Kershaw-Wolf-Padilla. Maybe flip Wolf/Padilla with Wolf as the Game 7 starter.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #54
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Here is the ultimate argument for why you don't go with Kershaw last night. He was not sharp in game one and for his career he is 0-3 with a 6.64 ERA. Not to mention in two starts at Citizen's Bank he is 0-2 with a 10.80 ERA. In his two starts in Philly he has failed to make it out of the fifth inning and gave up four runs in one game and six in the other.

The numbers simply do not support the idea that Kershaw is any better of a choice than Padilla was. He has never pitched well in Philly so why would you bet your season that he would come through for you last night?

Another thing to consider is it is quite possible that Kershaw told Torre he did not think he could give him more than two or three innings last night.

I get what you are saying about Padilla but up until last night he had been their best pitcher this post season and had given them two strong starts while Kershaw gave them one solid start against the Cards and not much in his second start against the Phils.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #55
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
He has never pitched well in Philly so why would you bet your season that he would come through for you last night?
Because he is the better pitcher by a significant margin. I'd rather roll the dice on a pitcher who has struggled against a team in a small sample size against that team than a pitcher who you know is a weaker pitcher.

Quote:
I get what you are saying about Padilla but up until last night he had been their best pitcher this post season and had given them two strong starts while Kershaw gave them one solid start against the Cards and not much in his second start against the Phils.
Again, I think this helps support what I'm saying. Looking at it like this...

Is Padilla pitching really well normal? It's absolutely not. You thank him for what he gave you and try to move on before he hurts you. With Kershaw, you're right about what he did up until this point, but he's got it in him to be really good, you need to go with your best guys sometimes and this was that moment.

The not pitching Billingsley was the more egregious error, though.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #56
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

The Angels came from behind to beat the Yankees tonight 7-6. Lots of questions for Girardi about the way he handled his bullpen.
The trip to New York isn't going to be a lot of fun for the Yankees, but they still have the better chance to win, IMO.

Catman
Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #57
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Blah. Is it time for Spring Training yet?

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #58
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I'll be watching MLB Network all winter.

Catman
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #59
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

World Series starts tonight. Who's excited? Not me...

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #60
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I'll watch when I can. Its still baseball, even though the teams are not my favorites.

Catman