Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 09-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Tiger, Phil, Vijay, or Ernie?

It's a pretty exciting time in golf right now because you can make a strong, convincing case that any one of those four could be #1 in the world (and it could've even been 5 if Retief Goosen hadn't gotten hurt in a jet ski accident).

Here's how I rank them, #1-#4, and why.

1. Vijay. You just can't argue against a guy who has 5 wins on tour this year, plus a major, when no one else has more than 2. He basically needs only to tie or beat Woods in any of the next few events to pass Woods on the Official World Golf Ranking. Unlike the other three, Vijay plays the meat-and-potato events of the tour like the Greater North El Paso Open or whathaveyou. Props for that.

2. Ernie. I personally like Ernie more than the other three. He's #1 on the European money list and #3 on the American money list. That's just sick. Right there at the end of all majors this year (One shot back at the Masters, lost in a playoff at the British, one shot back at the PGA, and although he shot a final round 80 to finish tenth in the US Open, he started the day in the final pairing.) What puts him ahead of Phil for me (besides the dual European/US success thing) is he's more competitive than Phil in the non-majors, where it seems like Phil is on a victory hand-waving tour and misses more cuts than he should. But Ernie needs to learn to close the deal and stop honking at the end.

3. Phil. I put him behind Ernie for the reasons stated above, but his Mjaor record this year is better than Ernie's: Win at the Masters, 2 shots out of a playoff and 2nd place at the US Open, one shot out of a playoff at the British, 2 shots out of a playoff at the PGA. Remarkable.

4. Tiger. Like Noon, I don't want to rehash the argument as to whether Tiger is in a slump. I sort of see Tiger's performance in 2000 and 2001 like Ted Williams .400 season. This year, Tiger's batting about .335 or .340 (not bad enough for me to call it a slump, but anyway). To point out that Tiger has not won a STROKE PLAY event this year is splitting hairs, because the match play tournament he won was more grueling and demanding than 4 rounds of stroke play, and it was a semi-major with a big pot. 11 top tens in his last 17 tournaments is still great, even for Tiger. But he has fallen behind the other 3.

Best of the rest....

5. Retief Goosen
6. Adam Scott
7. Sergio Garcia
8. Miguel Angel Jimenez
9. Stephen Ames
10. Todd Hamilton

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Did you know... if Tiger hadn't made the last birdie last week, Tiger would've been #1 last week but Vijay would've been #1 this week, even though neither of them are playing this week!? ...I don't know the formula for determining the rankings but I am surprised Els isn't #1. When Tiger won the 4 majors in a row, wasn't Els #2 in 3 of them!?... and this year he's been close in ALL of them.. just didnt' win them.

Plus, Els swing looks way better than Vijay's; I hate his swing

Anyway, right NOW I guess I'd rank Els first, then Vijay, then Tiger, Mickelson, and Ames. Obviously a BIT biased towards Ames but he's been great this year.

These are the rankings I'd give them for the 2004 season. Overall, Tiger is still #1. He's going to break loose and go on another streak soon, no doubt about it. People say he's lost the "intimidation factor" that he once held over EVERYONE. But really, if he starts putting together a lot of competitive finishes in tournaments, wins just 2 or 3, he's going to intimidate anyone on the course. For whatever reason, he just hasn't been consistent. Maybe he's too bulk, maybe his heart is elsewhere, maybe he doesn't have anything to prove so he's just not trying anymore, but whatever it is, he WILL get it in order and WILL start winning crazily again soon.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by lmanchur.
Did you know... if Tiger hadn't made the last birdie last week, Tiger would've been #1 last week but Vijay would've been #1 this week, even though neither of them are playing this week!?
Actually, both Tiger and Vijay are in the field at eh Deutche Bank Champoinship this week. Field

I know only a little about how the Official World Golf rankings are calculated. They go back three years (That's why guys like Davis Love continue to be ranked high) with higher consideration given for the past 13 weeks. That's why Vijay will have a lot of opportunities to catch Tiger in the coming weeks, because three years ago Tiger was tearing things up, and one by one, those tournaments will no longer count.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Oh right.... whatever the last tournament it was they both played in.... I guess that was 2 weeks ago and last week, even though they both didn't play, Vijay would've been #1 had Tiger not sunk that last birdie.

My bad.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tiger, Phil, Vijay, or Ernie?

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
10. Todd Hamilton
Please tell me that you are joking. There are so many other BETTER golfers out there who deserve that #10 spot than Hamilton.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Re: Tiger, Phil, Vijay, or Ernie?

Quote:
Originally posted by ellisismyhero
Please tell me that you are joking. There are so many other BETTER golfers out there who deserve that #10 spot than Hamilton.
Everyone else who has multiple PGA tour wins in on my list. Remember, he won the Honda classic too, not just the British. To win multiple times in one year on the best tour on earth is worthy of inclusion.