Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: How much longer will Favre play?
1 more season 11 61.11%
2 more seasons 3 16.67%
3 more seasons 2 11.11%
4 more seasons 0 0%
He'll retire after this year 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
Cubs88
Brett Favre = MVP

Cubs88 is on a distinguished road
Default Brett Favre

Brett Favre.......a name known to anyone who can spell the word NFL.

Does anyone still really think Favre is washed up. But when his father dies and he passes for 399 yds and 4 TD he shows everyone why he is the Ironman. Green Bay won 41-7.

There's more.....

--Favre's brother-in-law died in an ATV accident on Brett Favre's property in Miss. on October 6, 2004.

--Brett Favre announced his wife had been diagnosed with cancer on October 14. On October 17, the Packers beat the Lions 38-10, and Favre threw for 257 yds, and 2 TD. This game marked the beginning of a six-game winning streak.

Not that long ago, people around the NFL were speculating about Favre's future. Before the Packers' current winning streak, Favre was 12-13 over a 25-game stretch, and with his family situation, his age, and the Packers' seeming decline toward mediocrity, it was easy to speculate that his days as one of the league's most feared quarterbacks were ending.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-12032004-410608.html

Favre could retire today and stroll into the Hall of Fame as one of the greatest EVER.

Favre's career stats:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/career

Currently:

3,892 pass yds. 28 TD, 17 INT, QB rating: 90.4, 63.9 comp. %
Also, Favre has been sacked just 12 times this season.

News Flash: Brett Favre is not washed up. He says he will not retire soon.

Favre's numbers this season are (will be) his best since the 1996 and 1997 seasons. Does anyone remember what happened those two seasons?

So the question is, how much longer will he play???

*Please note: Chicago Bear fans are to be extra careful with this poll as their opinions are very biased. Jealousy perhaps.

Last edited by Cubs88; 12-26-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

I like Bret Favre, I'm not much of a Packer fan but as long as he plays for them I will cheer them on.

As long as I can remember Favre has played for the Packers and I just can't imagine the Pack without Favre, what a sad day in the NFL that will be.

We have been talking about who the best QB in the NFL is, a vote for Favre has to be issued. Sure he isn't the OLD favre we have known and loved but over all he has to be the best still playing the game.

Tell me another QB playing the game that has better numbers and Super Bowl wins than Favre! Sure Manning, Vick, Brady and McNabb are the future but right now they don't have anything on Favre, ok Manning has 49 TD's in a season and maybe a few have this or that but you get the point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.9 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 12-26-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Farve is still a good player. He is no longer a GREAT player. I feel as bad for him as anyone, for all the personal difficulties he's faced. In the last 12 months he's: lost is dad, lost his brother-in-law, and his wife has come down with cancer. Tough stuff.
With that said, he's still good. But, he's seen his best days as a player. I can really see him retiring after this season.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:59 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brett Favre

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubs88

So the question is, how much longer will he play???

*Please note: Chicago Bear fans are to be extra careful with this poll as their opinions are very biased. Jealousy perhaps.
1, possibly 2 with 3 a very remote possibility. The Packers are in need of some shoring up from age & upgrading of talent at certain positions. Plus Sherman may not last too much longer with the end of this year playing a big part. So any loss of future success I believe will also play a part in his retiring.

Brett's showing his age a bit at times with flashes of his old self but a lot of those flashes are to undo some of his mistakes, some team oriented, some age oriented...

That view is from an unbiased Bear fan & I can honestly say I've never known a fellow Bear fan not admire him as a player all the while still being able to hate him as a Packer...lol So I'm not too sure where you got to singling out Bear fans but it's odd to notice your Cubs88 nic & see "Greenbay Packers Football" under it.

Offspring from a mixed marriage????
Old 12-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I expect Favre to give it one more season. However, IF the Packers win the Super Bowl, there is a slight chance he might retire. The only thing is is that if Favre retires, the Packers end up in a bind at quarterback and have to dump a ton of money into a free agent quarterback rather than suring up a weak defense. The more likely scenario is that Favre comes back for at least one more season, the Packers available money to sign a defensive end, a couple of cornerbacks and a linebacker, that should be enough to make a run at the Super Bowl next season.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:25 AM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I think you bring up the biggest point about the whole thing, Alex...

This will probably end up being a hybrid decision based on what Favre & the Packer Nation will want to do & what the business side of the Packer organization will see to do. In otherwords, what every Packer fan & NFL fan will want to see & what the corporate franchise will have to do....

The fan side will want is what every fan will want to see.....the continuation of what has been shown for years & what every fan wants to continue seeing versus what a business side will project as far as return value.

There will be the inevitable scenario of immediate return versus the long term return on sticking with Favre at QB. With the weakness across the board at key positions & the possible chance of Favres inability to overcome them, they will choose to forego the chance of a diminished chance of success to go with a future investment on future succcess. Ergo a change at a QB for the future knowing that a Favre success, if it happens at all, would only be momentary in length anyway.

Cubs88s point that there will be possible jealousy in todays poll has nothing to do with future decisions or "wants". What might seem to be a vantage of strength today can easily translate to a disadvantage of weakness in the corporate world tomorrow.....
Old 12-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #7
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Don't forget that Farve's wife has breast cancer. He's already said that if she needs hime at home, it's over. Who can blame him?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Hell, let us just go down the list a bit. This is not everyone but a few that I swore would be out of the NFL soon and this year looks like they found their second wind.

# 22 Emmitt Smith
Position: RB
Height: 5-10
Weight: 216
Born: 05/15/1969
College: Florida
NFL Experience: 15

Got hurt but was doing a good job for Arizona

The Bus
# 36 Jerome Bettis
Position: RB
Height: 5-11
Weight: 255
Born: 02/16/1972
College: Notre Dame
NFL Experience: 12

Staley being out didn't slow the Steelers down.

# 80 Jerry Rice
Position: WR
Height: 6-2
Weight: 200
Born: 10/13/1962
College: Mississippi Valley State
NFL Experience: 20

Ok, Rice hasn't been special but damn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img5838141.jpg (10.6 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 12-27-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I think he will play two more. He is still the top 5 best qb's in the NFL. (brady,manning,mcnabb,favre,Vick)
Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think if the Packers win a Super Bowl, Favre will almost certainly retire but that's a big if. Otherwise, I have absolutely no idea. You really can't read him ... at all. It very much depends on his personal life if his wife beats cancer and things settle down around him, he might just keep playing as long as he and the Packers are contending.

As for the Packers, they have to improve their defense. They have no chance without a better defense, and it's darn frustrating. I would personally like to see Sherman give up his GM role and let someone else handle those duties.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:49 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

I'll tell you one thing - everybody I know back home will be rooting for Favre like mad if the Packers play Carolina in the first round of the playoffs. They're already having big-time nightmares about Ricky Manning Jr. doing the same thing to Stinkston that he did in the playoffs last year! And believe me, they want no part of it.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #12
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

If he wins this year, he'll retire. Otherwise, I say he plays at least one more season.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1985725

It is thought that he will return, and is expected to make a decision by the end of the month.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It seems to be up in the air. One of the Pack recievers, Donald Driver I think, was telling the media last week that Favre had told him he was seriously leaning towards retirement. He may have resided himself to the idea that the team won't ever get over the hump as long as Sherman is still there.

But, of course we all know how often these guys change their mind about retirement in a two week span so who really knows.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Brett Favre knows the catostrophic effect his retirement would have on the entire organization. There is literally no one in line to take Favre's spot. I fully expect the Packers to take Kyle Orton or Charlie Frye or Dan Orlovsky or Andrew Walter in the draft but I don't believe any of them are fully prepared to step in right away. Aaron Rodgers may be the only QB in this year's class that can step in right away and start. Everyone from Alex Smith down appears to need at least a season on the bench.

The moment Favre leaves is the moment the Packers go into rebuilding move. Essentially every part of the team except the offensive line, wide receiving corps and Darren Sharper and Ahman Green.