Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default 'Lynch Tiger' remark causes trouble...

Tilghman apologizes for 'lynch Tiger' remark

Being familiar with Kelly Tilghman's character and her chummy relationship with Tiger Woods as well as Woods' sense of humor she probably deserves another chance.

But you certainly have to file Tilghman's on-air, on-camera comments during the Mercedes-Benz Championship under the "What was she thinking?" column.

During their usual post-round banter as they wrapped up Day 2 at the Plantation Course at Kapalua, Tilghman and cohort Nick Faldo discussed young players who could possibly challenge Tiger. Faldo, ever the joker, said perhaps the youngsters should "gang up (on Tiger) for a while." The pair laughed a bit before Tilghman responded by saying, "Lynch him in a back alley." The pair chuckled awkwardly before moving on.

The Golf Channel said it received a limited number of complaints regarding the comment.

Tilghman, realizing her faux pas, explained her comments during the final-round broadcast despite the possibility she could have swept the incident under the mat.

"I've reached out to Tiger to make an apology, and I've done the same with our viewers," Tilghman said.

"I can assure you that there was never any intention to offend anyone. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding."

Attempts to reach Woods or his agent, Mark Steinberg of IMG, were unsuccessful. A Golf Channel spokesman said no disciplinary action is planned, "other than the mistake she made is regrettable and an extreme learning experience for her."

Foxsports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/7651694

Big deal?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I heard about this the other day. The local am sports host used to be on the Grey Goose 19th Hole on the Golf Channel with her. Poor choice of words given Tiger's ethnicity but, hardly a racist attack. She apologized and all should be forgiven. I'm sure Tiger couldn't care less about this.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I heard about this the other day. The local am sports host used to be on the Grey Goose 19th Hole on the Golf Channel with her. Poor choice of words given Tiger's ethnicity but, hardly a racist attack. She apologized and all should be forgiven. I'm sure Tiger couldn't care less about this.
My thoughts exactly. Every time the media senses any possible racial tension the vultures swoop in to attack. I'm glad that the majority of people in the country couldn't care less about the quote.
deavobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deavobadger
I'm glad that the majority of people in the country couldn't care less about the quote.
Or the majority of people in this country couldn't care less about professional golf, especially in January.

It wasn't a racist attack. Like mush said, it was a poor choice of words and a joke that bombed entirely. Tilghman realized the mistake she made, and quickly apologized.

Unlike most people who say foolish things, she recovered and accepted responsibility.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
themush
Banned

MFing Al Sharpton

Kelly Tilghman, the Golf Channel anchor who during Friday's broadcast from the Mercedes-Benz Championship said while discussing Tiger Woods' dominance that young players on the PGA Tour should "lynch him in a back alley," was suspended two weeks Wednesday for the remark.

The move came after a wave of outrage that included a call for her to be fired by civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton and despite a statement from the Woods camp saying, "It is a complete non-issue."

Full story
Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Something tells me that they could have just told Al Sharpton and his gang of crazed lunatics that he runs around with that she was suspended (without actually suspending her) and they would have never known the difference.

I doubt they are TiVo'ing anything on The Golf Channel.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Couple of things...

1. Turns out Tilghman and Tiger are close friends. Send texts and email to each other. I know it's a long shot but, I hope Tiger comes out to defend her.

2. What if Tiger refused to do interviews with anyone from the Golf Channel other then Tilghman.

3. How come Sharpton only comes out when it's a high profile person?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Turns out Tilghman and Tiger are close friends. Send texts and email to each other. I know it's a long shot but, I hope Tiger comes out to defend her.
This isn't going to happen because both individuals are going to be rational and logical about the situation. If they aren't and more public comments are made, it will only fuel the firestorm. It's up to them to end this stupid situation.

The Golf Channel really dropped the ball on this one. By waiting to suspend her they look like they didn't care about the remarks which are now deemed insensitive or at the very least...something "negative"...as evident by the punishment.

There's no way to fight the media though. They are useless whores.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post

The Golf Channel really dropped the ball on this one. By waiting to suspend her they look like they didn't care about the remarks which are now deemed insensitive or at the very least...something "negative"...as evident by the punishment.

There's no way to fight the media though. They are useless whores.
They didn't until Sharpton stuck his ass in.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
They didn't until Sharpton stuck his ass in.
I understand.

What I'm saying is that they should have known that he would and all 3 of them (Tiger-Tilghman-Golf Channel) should have met, made a statement of apology/kiss ass to whatever/whomever and moved on with Tiger's approval.

You can't be reactive when you are dealing with psychos (Sharpton) and useless whores like the media.

It's like dealing with my kids. You don't try to reason with them or assume they will understand and embrace a minimal level of responsibility/understanding. They aren't rational human beings. It's all about ploys and simply dealing with them to avoid confrontation cuz they are out of their minds.