Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-11-2002, 02:58 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up My Top 15 teams for Week One

Rankings are based on all games played from Sept. 5th through Sept. 9th. Rankings are based on the overall record of each team, winning percentage, strength of schedule, points scored overall, points allowed overall, and how well they played in a particular week. After five games are completed this season, I will be using a formula to help detrmine who should be ranked where. It's difficult to rank teams after only one game, but its fun for me. These are my top 15 teams, may not be yours, but tell me how you would rank them and why.

1.-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-30-PA-14)-Pat's picked up where they left off last year,winning big games that really count. They beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 30-14 on MNF at their new stadium in Foxsboro. Quarterback Tom Brady completed 29 of 43 for 294 and three touchdowns. Rookie Deion Branch out of Louisville caught six passes for 83 yards and a touchdown. Next game Sept. 15th against the New York Jets in New York. I pick New York to win.

2.-DENVER BRONCOS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-23-PA-16)-Broncos surprised the Rams, and everybody else, by beating the offense happy St. Louis Rams, 16-13 in Denver. Quarterback Brian Griese completed 18-27 for 202 yards and two touchdowns. He also threw two interceptions. The good news was wide receiver Ed McCaffrey returning to the game, after missing most of last season with a broken leg. He caught a 23-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Rookie running back Clinton Portis out of Miami gained only 34 yards on five carries. Linebacker Al Wilson had four solo tackles and three assists. He also registered one sack. Next game Sept. 15th against San Francisco in SF.

3.-MIAMI DOLPHINS--(1-0)-(1.000)-PF-49-PA-21-Dolphins embarrassed the Detroit Lions in a 49-21 onslaught Sunday. Ricky "I'm happier in south Florida" Williams rushed for 111 yards on 20 carries, and scored two touchdowns for his new team. QB Jay Fiedler completed 18-27 for 207 yards and three touchdowns passes. Safety Brock Marion had six solo tackles and one assist, and returned an interception for a 28 yard gain. Next game Sept. 15th against Indianapolis in Indy. I predict an Indianapolis win.

4.-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-26-PA-20)-Saints pulled off miracle win in overtime, against Jon Gruden's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in a 26-20 win in Tampa. The play they won on was unreal. Bucs Punter Tom Tupa attempted to punt out of his own end zone, and received a somewhat high snap and softly threw the ball to avoid the sack, and threw it right in the arms of Saints rookie linebacker James Allen. Allen scored the winning touchdown. QB Aaron Brooks must have been real happy with his new contract extension. He played well most of the game. He completed 24 of 42 for 260 yards and two touchdowns. He threw one interception. Running back Deuce McAllister, who must compete with the memory of departed Ricky Williams was impressive at times. He ran for 109 yards on 31 carries. On defense linebacker Charlie Clemons and safety Sammy Knight each had 11 tackles. Both had eight solo tackles and three assists. Next game Sept. 15th against Green Bay at home.

5.-TENNESSEE TITANS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-27-PA-24)-Titans defeated the Philadelphia Eagles even after losing defensive end Jevon Kearse to a broken foot. Will be out six to eight weeks. Quarterback Steve "air it out" McNair completed 24 of 34 for 269 yards and two touchdowns. He threw one interception. He threw his first touchdown pass to running back Eddie George in the first quarter, for a 14-yard score. Titans wide receiver Derrick Mason caught seven passes for 109 yards. Check this out. Rookie defensive end, Carlos Hall out of Arkansas, had three sacks in his first regular season game ever, in the NFL. The defense had six sacks overall on Donovan McNabb. Next game Sept. 15th against Dallas in Dallas. I pick Tennesee to win.

6.-INDIANAPOLIS COLTS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-28-PA-25)-Quarterback Peyton Manning looked sharp in his 28-25 win over Jacksonville in Jacksonville. Manning completed 19 of 31 for 211 yards. He threw for three touchdowns. Running back Edgerrin "I don't like to practice" James rushed for 99 yards on 26 carries. Nice return from a season-ending injury last season. Linebacker Marcus Washington returned an interception for a 40 yard score in the second quarter. Next game Sept. 15 against Miami at home.

7.-SAN FRANCISCO 49ers--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-16-PA-13)-49ers had the distinction of being one of the first teams to open the NFL season on a weekday. 49ers defeated the New York Giants 16-13, on Thursday night. Running back Garrison Hearst scored the first touchdown and only touchdown of the game in the third quarter, on a nine yard pass. The defense intercepted three passes off of Giants quarterback Kerry Collins. Linebacker Jamie Winborn led the defense in tackles with 12 solos and four assists. Safety Zach Bronson intercepted one of the three interceptions and returned it 20 yards. Next game Sept. 15th against Denver at home. I pick San Francisco to win.

8.-GREEN BAY PACKERS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-37-PA-34)-Packers hung on to beat a feisty Atlanta Falcon's team Sunday 37-34 in overtime, and at home. Quarterback Brett Favre completed 25 of 36 passes for 284 yards and two touchdowns. Ronald Driver was his leading receiver with seven catches for 78 yards. Field goal kicker Ryan longwell kicked a 34-yarder to win the game in overtime. He kicked three successful field goals for the afternoon. His longest was a 42-yarder in the second quarter. Next game Sept. 15th against New Orleans in New Orleans. I pick Green Bay to win.

9.-CHICAGO BEARS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-27-PA-23)-Bears beat Minnesota 27-23 in Champaign, Illinois. Quarterback Jim Miller completed 20-33 for 297 yards and two touchdowns. Wide receiver Marty Booker caught eight passes for an amazing 198 yards, and one touchdown. Hurry get him on your fantasy team while you still can. Linebacker Brian Urlacher led the defense with 11 tackles, nine solo tackles and two assists. Safey Mike Brown had one of two interceptions on the day. Brown helped lead his team to a comeback victory. He intercepted off Minnesota quarterback Duante Culpepper and returned it close to the 50 yard line, and started his team on a game winning drive. With 28 seconds left quarterback Jim Miller tossed a nine yard touchdown pass to receiver David Terrell. Next game Sept. 15th against Atlanta in Atlanta. I pick Atlanta to win.

10.-OAKLAND RAIDERS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-31-PA-17)-Raiders easily beat Seattle 31-17 in Oakland. It was head coach Bill Callahan coaching debut with the Raiders. Oakland's offense racked up on 423 total net yards. 221 of those yards were for rushing. Quarterback Rich Gannon completed 19 of 28 for 214 yards and two touchdowns. He had one pass intercepted. Running back Charlie Garner took control of Oakland's running game by rushing for 127 yards on 15 carries. He scored one rushing touchdown. Defensive tackle Rod Coleman had two sacks on the day and three solo tackles. Next game Sept. 15th against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. I pick Pittsburgh to win.

11.-NEW YORK JETS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-37-PA-31)-Jets held on to beat an inspired Buffalo team 37-31 in Orchard Park, NY. The key to winning this game was performed by kick off returner Chad Morton, who ran two kickoff returns for touchdowns. One was a 98-yarder in the second quarter and the other one was a 96-yarder in overtime. Morton became the second player in history to return an overtime kickoff for a touchdown. The last time that was done was on Nov. 27, 1980 when Chicago's Dave Williams took the opening kickoff for a score, leading the Bears past Detroit 23-17. Next game Sept. 15th against Carolina in Carolina. I pick Carolina to win.

12.-HOUSTON TEXANS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-19-PA-10)-Texans won the Super Bowl of Texas in their first game of the season, by beating Dallas 19-10 in Houston. It was Texans head coach Dom Caper's debut. Rookie quarterback David Carr completed 10 of 22 for a 145 yards. He threw two touchdown passes and had one intercepted. Wide receiver Corey Bradford caught four passes for 99 yards and one touchdown. One of those completions was for a 65-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Next game Sept. 15th against San Diego in San Diego. I pick San Diego to win.

13.-KANSAS CITY CHIEFS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-40-PA-39)-Chiefs win over Cleveland in an odd way 40-39, in Cleveland. Cleveland basically had the game won, but when linebacker Dwayne Rudd of the Browns tackled quarterback Trent Green in the last few seconds, thinking Green was down, he tossed his helmet off and received a penalty that gave Kansas City a chance at a field goal. 42 year-old field goal kicker Morten Anderson, kicked a 30-yard winning field goal with no time left to win it for the team and coach Dick Vermeil. You must remember a game cannot end on a defensive penalty. Last year's rushing champ Priest Holmes, rushed for 122 yards on 22 carries, and tied a team record with four touchdowns. This guy is awesome. Glad I put him on my fantasy team. Next game Sept. 15th against Jacksonville at home. I pick Jacksonville to win.

14.-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-34-PA-6)-Chargers crushed the Cincinnati Bengals 34-6, in Cincinnati. Rookie quarterback Drew Brees looked like he had been playing for a couple of years. He threw two touchdown passes. He was 15 of 19 for 160 yards. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson started where he left of last season, by rushing for 114 on 21 carries. He had one touchdown rushing. Next game Sept. 15th against Houston at home.

15.-WASHINGTON REDSKINS--(1-0)-1.000-(PF-31-PA-23)-Redskins and head coach Steve Spurrier won their first game of the year. Is that really a surprise? They beat the Arizona Cardinals 31-21 in Landover, Maryland. Quarterback Shane Matthews shined like a beacon under Spurrier's wide open offense. He completed 28 of 40 for 327 yards and three touchdowns. He tossed one interceptions. Running back Stephen Davis established the running game by rushing for 104 yards on 26 carries. He had one rushing touchdown. Linebacker and ex-Giants Jessie Armstead led the defense in tackles with eight. He had three solo tackles and five assists. Next game Sept. 16th on MNF against Philadelphia at home. I pick a Washington upset.

Written by:Keith Thronson, Mobile, Alabama

I maintain my own personal website where I keep my rankings at www.eteamz.com/majorleague
Old 09-11-2002, 11:11 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Just because teams are 1-0 doesn't make them better than the Rams or some good team that just happened to lose this weekend. I see that your rankings are based on win/loss records, but there is no way that Houston is ranked 12th....they are in all honestly no better than 28th! Redskins are way too low for actually winning their game....your saying the Texans are better than the Redskins although both teams won their game, or are you just saying that your rankings are under a system and your opinion does not come into play in this?

Joey
Old 09-11-2002, 03:29 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

First I said my top 15 teams. Secondly, do you have a crystal ball? Do u know what Houston is going to do next week?. They have a 50% chance of winning and losing. The Rams deserve to be ranked low-they lost to Denver for crying out loud, but Denvr is a better team this year because of McCaffrey being back. Give it a break man-post your own top 15 or whatever lol True u really can't have accurate rankings until about the fifth or sixth game so give me a chance please. Thank you lol Again my top 15 team, not yours.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:38 PM   #4
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

LOL............you laugh at the Rams BAMA for losing to the Broncos then rank the Broncos 2nd in your poll??????? LOL.

Couple of other small notes. The Jets play the Patriots next week, but you listed at the bottom of the JETS write-up that they play Carolina. But yet at the bottom of the Patriots write up you correctly listed the JETS as the PATS next opponent. Interestingly, you said the JETS would beat the PATS but picked Carolina to beat the JETS...........lol.

I'm not going to critique your poll, because everyone who gets involoved in polls does not do them without putting a little bias into them. There is no such thing as an honest pollster. Not in sports and not in Politics.

Just thought I would mention those things from above.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:42 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Houston does not have a 50% chance to win any game they are playing, because their talent level is not near as high as the competition they will be facing all season.

I will not critque your poll, but I think the whole point of the poll was to discuss what we thought of it. I mean you even say at the beginning of your poll that you would like us as "posters" to tell you how we would rank the teams and why.....I was only doing what your poll and post asked me to do.

Good Luck with your polls....I just dont agree with them.

Joey
Old 09-11-2002, 07:55 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I also don't know about some of those rankings. I can't see Denver being that high -- their QB situation is still not in place with Shanahan threatening to bench Griese and their rotating RBs. The biggest thing that jumps out to me is the Saints -- no way they can be that high. Lost way too much talent (Johnson, Glover, etc. on defense).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:22 PM   #7
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Hey guys ranking teams after the first week is hard and nobody knows the future. Denver may very well win their division and go to the Super Bowl. Griese may have a great season. Ed McCaffrey is back. They have that rookie running back Portis out of Miami. Anything can happen. Give me about four of five weeks, and see then how accurate the rankings are. Hey does anyone recognize the work I put into these rankings? Looking up all the stats, and such. I wear glasses, and I'm almost blind from looking up stuff so much. You try it lol It is a lot of work, but I enjoy doing it. I wish others would appreciate it too. I don't want u to agree with all my rankings, but keep an open mind until things take shape. I enjoy debate and some controversy. This is not directed to anyone in particular-but hey give me a break for the hard work, and giving u 100% accurate stats for each team and game. Thanks again, and in four or five weeks there will be a formula I use to determine who is really the best or who deserves to be where. Denver could lose this coming week and if they do they will drop-if they win they may climb higher. A lot of factors are involved.:goof:
Old 09-12-2002, 05:01 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If Houston is "better" than San Diego, then why are the Chargers 13-point favorites over them this week? If it's your intention to use the college polls as a role model, every year some teams remain in the Top 25 despite losing on opening day. And I guess Carolina is #16, since the Panthers also won their opener but are not on the list?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:39 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Hey, Keith, don't sweat it, we're not criticizing or belittling the hard work you put into your rankings, just stating our conflicting opinions. Keep up the good work with your rankings, they're always welcome.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:13 PM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Thanks Marc-I really don't mind disagreement, but I hardly ever get any credit for all the work I put into it. I'm just human and get frustrated. I really try and rank them as they should be, but like I stated it will be easier once they have played four or five games-there is a formula to use at that times that really helps. As for Denver, they should be ranked high after beating the number one seeded team in the NFC. As for Washington they beat one of the worst teams in the NFC-Of course Arizona may play much better this year, but I doubt it lol
Old 09-13-2002, 03:37 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Wasn't trying to put you down, Keith, or anything like that, but if I were doing something like this I would wait until every team had played at least four games before coming out with the first "edition." After all, the NFL itself uses this same standard for its "waiver" rule: If a player is placed on waivers during the first four weeks of the season, the previous year's final standings are used (in reverse) to determine priority if more than one team claims the same player off waivers. After Week 5 (when every team would have played at least four games) the current season's standings are used to determine priority.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:17 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I guess I should just shoot myself for being so dumb lol Hey everybody else has their rankings out why not me. lol When you guys have watched or observed football for over 38 years please tell em something about football lol Just messing with u. Love u guys lol
Old 09-13-2002, 03:20 PM   #13
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Those rankings will be so accurate in week 2 it will make your head spin and your mouth drop lol