Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-28-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite College Play

So, I'm stealing from ESPN.com's Pontiac contest, but, while watching the last half hour of the '82 Cal-Stanford game the other night, I started to actually give some serious thought to what my favorite play is/was.

I'm not sure I like three plays that Pontiac/ESPN has chosen, but, whatever.

They have the kick return from '82 Stanford @Cal
The Flutie hail mary pass from '84 Miami @ Boston College
The Favre hail mary pass from '89 [email protected] Southern Miss
The Kordell hail mary to Westbrook from '94 [email protected]
A mildly random looking Michigan catch and tackle escape from '79 Indiana @ Michigan.

I figure folks have their own sets of greatest plays.

For me, it's a Major Harris broken play scramble around, through, and by seven Penn State defenders for a 26-yard touchdown. But, that's just WVU.

For sheer wackiness, unbelievability, and --this can't be overlooked-- incredible broadcast call, the Cal kick return is one of my favorite plays of all time. In fact, a few years ago, when I first got ESPN Classic and saw the game in its entirety for the first time ever, I immediately launched the game from "That kick return game" status to true legendary college football game status.

The game itself was incredible, I thought. Elway powers the Cardinal from 5 down with five minutes to play to take a one-point lead. During the Cardinal's final drive, Elway completes a clutch 4th & 17 from the Stanford 13 yard-line. He completes two more big passes and moves the Cardinal to field goal position before the biggest coaching blunder, possibly in college football history, in retrospect, and certainly in Stanford history, when Stanford calls their final timeout with 8 seconds to play. The FG to win takes only 4 seconds off the clock.

You know the rest.

I love that the Stanford band is on the field. I love that in five laterals, not a single one of them was even particularly close to being illegal (the last one was the closest). And the broadcast call (I don't know if the guy was a Cal guy) while he didn't paint the best picture during the game, just completely lost it during the play and afterward when the officials penalized Stanford, clinching a Cal victory... "The band is on the field!! He's going into the end zone! TOUCHDOWN!! TOUCHDOWN!! I don't believe it! Cal has won the game! The Bears have won the game! I've never seen anything like this in my life! I apologize for my voice, but, I've never seen anything like this! Oh my God! Cal has won it! Cal has won it!!"

As far as the other entries in Pontiac's contest, the Favre play is too similar to the '02 LSU Randall to Devery Henderson (LSU @ Kentucky) throw to eliminate the LSU play from contention, in my opinion, which eliminates the Favre play. I've always been somewhat annoyed by the Flutie hail mary and its celebrity. Remember, Miami was good then, not great, and it wasn't quite the David beating Goliath type thing that it would be today, or two years ago. It was a big deal, but BC was ranked pretty high (that win made them #4 for a week) already.

I've always had a thing for the Kordell bomb caught by Westbrook, though. That, of hail marys that do what they intend, is a great one. But, I'll stick with Cal-Stanford.

If you have a favorite all-time play, let's hear about it.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

It's definitly Cal-Stanford, if that doesn't win I will be shocked. But on to that one Michigan play, I was also stumped as to why it was so great. I don't remember the particular situation, but it couldn't have been to amazing since they were playing Indiana.

The play that deserves to be on it without a doubt is the one where the Nebraska player kicked the ball up in the endzone and his teamate caught it to preserve the win. That was from the year where they splilt the title with Michigan. I believe it was against Missouri although I might be wrong.

And a personal favorite of mine since I'm a Buckeye fan is the Craig Krenzel 40 yard pass to Jenkins into the endzone on 4th and one durring the Purdue game.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Cal-Stanford. That play was thought up in less than a second as was each toss. It was amazing to see Cal just lateral it down the field for a TD with the Stanford band out on the field.

I have a soft spot for "The Miracle in Michigan" since it was a crushing loss for the Wolverines.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Kick return on Stanford Cal. Too awesome.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Cal-Stanford. I don't think it will ever be duplicated. Cal just made it look so easy the way they just kept on pitching it like it was nothing.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:06 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Another vote for Cal-Stanford, but Ricky, I differ on my favorite buckeye play. My fav is Krenzel-to-Jenkins for 17 yards on 4th and 13 in the first OT against Miami.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Of the plays you listed, my favorite play is the Kordell Stewart to Micheal Westbrook hail mary to win the game over Michigan. I picked that play because that is the only one of the five on the list that I actually saw on television. That game was all but over when Kordell fumbled the ball going in for the touchdown late in the 4th quarter. Then to see Colorado score 2 touchdowns in the game's final 3 minutes was amazing.

Those were Kordell Stewart's glory years, and that play will always be one my favorites because I actually saw the game instead of a replay of it. That play was just so freaking dramatic, and I still can't believe it.

Joey
Old 12-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #8
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

atllonghorn is on a distinguished road

Cal-Stanford=bonkers. It was like that play the Carolina panthers tried to run yesterday at the end of the game against the Eagles, except a) the play stood, and b) there was the Stanford band. You couldn't have made up that play if it didn't happen.

I think they overlooked that LSU-Kentucky play from last year. That was insane.
atllonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:42 AM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Taking nothing away from the "WTF" factor, no Cal-Stanford for me because there's no way that all those tosses were laterals.

My favorite would have to be Hail Mary in the LSU-Kentucky last year. That was great seeing the fans run onto the field after the game... lol.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:41 PM   #10
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Well, IMO they actually all were legal laterals, which makes it all that more amazing.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

In fact, only the last lateral is really questionable at all, but it certainly appears to be a lateral to me.

Dave
Old 12-03-2003, 01:02 AM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Anyone remember when Sportscenter ran a Twenty Years Later segment regarding the Cal-Stanford play? They kept showing the play in slow-mo and a couple of those tosses appeared to move forward. Also one of the Cal players appears to have his knee down before tossing the game. Regardless it certainly is the most memorable and unbelievable ending I've ever seen.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote