Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default First Black Hired as SEC Coach

Congratulations to Slyvester Croom hired by Mississippi State. I think he will do well. His alma mater is Alabama. Alabama was really dumb not to give him a chance at coaching there. Mike Shula does not impress me.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Yeah, there was a big stink about Croom not getting the job at Bama. Croom has his work cut out for him at Mississippi Mistake though, but I hope he succeeds as their coach.

Joey
Old 12-02-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Congrats to Croom. I'll be sorry to see him leave Green Bay. Should be interesting to see how long it takes him to fix Jackie Sherrill's mistake. I am someone that does criticize Alabama for not hiring him. Mike Shula was a giant mistake and the Tide get what they deserve.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm glad for Croom. It's too bad that he'll have to beat his alma mater year after to year to prove his point.

I'm not sure that about all this Shula bashing. The Tide kept in a lot of their games, and has been noted in other threads, kept their game against OU, many people's national champion-elect, winnable.

Shula will need time, which Bama fans might not be willing to give. They will overlook that he had no offseason this year, and that his recruiting class this year is going to be miniscule (11, if I recall correctly, scholarships is all Shula can give to football players) and lacking in superstar/pro-ready talent.

Croom will need the same allotment of time, if not more. At least Shula can always cry himself to sleep over past wrongs not his making limiting him. Croom will be cursing Jackie Sherrill every night of his first season, wondering how the guy allowed such a sad state of affairs. And this without the NCAA coming in and taking away scholarships or sanctioning the school for bad behavior.

What will be worse, imo, is that if Sherrill is stepping down now so he's not the guy in charge should the NCAA report in the offseason that Miss State is being sanctioned for actions that occurred under Sherrill's regime. (Did the NCAA ever report on their investigations from last summer?)

Dave
Old 12-02-2003, 05:18 PM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I didn't like Shula when he quarterbacked for Alabama.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Regardless, I think it'd be wrong to dismiss his season at Bama out of hand already. He needs four years, because of the sanctions, just to be hospitable.

Dave
Old 12-02-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So, something that's been undiscussed here is whether it's telling of the NFL's hiring practices that Croom has not had a sniff at a pro job, while he gets the job at the second major college position he's been interviewed for (that I know of; did he interview for Arizona, too?)... and in the last major conference to hire a black head coach...

(Of course, Charlie Strong seems a good bid to take the next opening, if he doesn't leave the conference for a job this offseason.)

Dave
Old 12-08-2003, 05:45 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good for Croom, Green Bay will miss him. The RBs there have given him a lot of credit for teaching them things. Kentucky was close to going with Doug Williams, former Super Bowl MVP, but that didn't work out -- not sure if he had the experience to be the coach at an SEC school. So it's good for the SEC to finally get a black head coach.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

And here you can find how Croom is going to be established as a failure at Miss State

It won't be his fault, but it'll be his cross to bear.

Here's to hoping that he leaves Miss State in three years for a job at a school without the desire or nature to hang their first black coach...

Dave
Old 12-10-2003, 06:42 PM   #10
Bama_AL
Grizzled Veteran

Bama_AL is on a distinguished road

Shula has not done THAT bad. Especially considering the circumstances. For the past two offseasons Bama has had a fairly low number of scholarships due to the sanctions from the NCAA. After the first offseason on probation it didnt affect the Tide much. But after the second offseason it has started to take its toll. Thanks to the scholarship reductions, Alabama has a lack of depth. Not only does that hurt a team when you have injuries but you have to keep the starters in the game longer than you normally would. And as the season progresses the players will get more and more physically exhausted. And even having to deal with this lack of depth Alabama still did a good job this season. Just like Dave said, they kept in a lot of their games. I'm not one of those fans who are impatient and won't consider the circumstances. I'm willing to give Shula plenty of time. He didnt make all the right calls this year but you cant blame him for EVERYTHING. Its not his fault that Alabama is on probation.

And Alex, I dont think that Shula is a "giant mistake". Back in May when the Tide hired Shula, what had Croom done to make him SO much of a better choice than Shula that it should be a no-brainer. Its not like Mike Shula over Sly Croom is the same as Tommy Tuberville over Bill Parcells. You make it sound like it was a no-brainer. To me, neither one really seemed that much better than the other. I don't understand why you think that hiring Shula was a "giant mistake".
Bama_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it's real unfortunate Croom will be taking over a program that could be on probation. It will be hard for him to be successful with all those restrictions, and I hope he isn't fired because of it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote