Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM   #31
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Nene went down the first game of the year. That is not to say he cannot come back but most athletes will tell you it takes about 2 years from the date of the injury until you feel 100%.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #32
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

It isn't like the Hawks lost everything...

Nene is one of the most promising young players and averaged around 18/8 when given suffecient time. And by suffecient time I mean not taken out every couple of minutes.

Hawks then have a very good lineup.

Watson as a defensive point guard who is also a playmaker, a two way playmaker in Johnson, one of the most athletic and one of the best shotblocking small fowards in Josh Smith, and Nene who I think can be an AllStar.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #33
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Nene has been one of the most promising players for the last three years now. Trading for a guy coming off a knee injury is still a gamble though.

It wouldn't be the worst deal in the world for the Hawks as Harrington is going to bounce after the season via free agency anyways. So, they may as well get something for him while they can. Joe Johnson really is not cutting it at PG for the Hawks and moving Harrington would free up more minutes for guys like Smith and Marvin Williams.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #34
JBryant12
Rookie Player

JBryant12 is on a distinguished road

I almost feel sorry for Artest but he put himself in this position asking to be traded and then saying he doesnt want to be traded...i like the emotion and heart he plays with on the court but all the off court stuff with him makes me dislike the guy...
JBryant12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #35
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Well, Nene has been one of the most promising players for the last three years now. Trading for a guy coming off a knee injury is still a gamble though.

It wouldn't be the worst deal in the world for the Hawks as Harrington is going to bounce after the season via free agency anyways. So, they may as well get something for him while they can. Joe Johnson really is not cutting it at PG for the Hawks and moving Harrington would free up more minutes for guys like Smith and Marvin Williams.
Nene's knee is reportedly better and ahead of schedule, however it is a concern still.

Yet, if he does come back, even if 80%, he would still be a very solid foward since he can still defend.(He has a 7'5 wingspan and huge hands). Watson and Johnson can create for young players with potential like Williams(who I think can be better than Harrington) and Smith.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:28 PM   #36
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Artest in Denver would certainly be interesting. Might just push Denver into serious contender status.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #37
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Maybe.

But I still think they are a good two way shooting guard from being a serious contender unless Artest players shooting guard, which I don't think is a good fit.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #38
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It also depends on how well he meshes with 'Melo who has a pretty big ego himself.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #39
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Anyways, now Artest would love to go to Minnesota and play with KG.
Quote:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/13497248.htm
BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

The Timberwolves contacted the Indiana Pacers last week and are interested in acquiring all-star Ron Artest, a source said Tuesday.

The discussions have not turned serious, and no formal trade offers have been made, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale declined to comment through a spokesman, citing league rules against tampering with players under contract with other teams.

Artest's agent said his client would be excited to play with Wolves all-star Kevin Garnett.

"Ron, he loves K.G.," agent Mark Stevens said. "He loves his game. It would be an honor and a privilege to play by his side."
Donnie Walsh, the Indiana Pacers' CEO and president, said about 10 teams are involved in the Artest discussions.

There have been reports of Indiana possibly using a three-team trade, but Walsh said he is not interested in a "big package deal" involving three or four Pacers.

Artest told the Indianapolis Star this month he wanted to be traded and then changed his mind. But the Pacers remain committed to parting with Artest, who has had a history of issues.

He forever will be linked to perhaps the ugliest moment in NBA history when he charged into the stands and attacked a fan who threw a drink at him at Detroit in November 2004, touching off a brawl involving the Pacers and fans.

Artest's talent can't be questioned. He was named NBA defensive player of the year in 2004. This season, he is leading the league in steals with an average of 2.63 a game to go with 19.4 points. He has played in only 16 games.

Wolves special assistant Fred Hoiberg was Artest's teammate for 2 seasons before the Chicago Bulls traded Artest to Indiana in February 2002.
He also won't mind Denver.
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_3349078
Quote:
Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest has accepted he is going to be traded but says he has no preference where. If he ends up being dealt to the Nuggets, he isn't expected to have a problem coming to Colorado.

A deal for Artest could include as many as four teams, and the Nuggets' injured forward-center Nene is expected to be a part of any Denver deal.

Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, said a deal is expected "sometime at the end of this week." The Nuggets have acknowledged interest and have been talking regularly to Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh.

"I've been to Denver before. It has nice scenery," Artest said Tuesday. "I really don't have a comment on the rumors. It's not my place. I like Carmelo (Anthony). I'm cool with (Marcus) Camby. I like a lot of their players.

"As of right now, I'm still a Pacer. I'm always going to have tremendous respect for Donnie."
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #40
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

funny how Artest's trade value seems to be plummeting... I read today that when asked if they were still in the 'race' for Artest, Phil Jackson replied 'is anyone?' or something to that effect... Indiana wants to get fair value, but that's exceedingly difficult in this case because Ron is FAR from normal...
sure he's a Defensive Player of the Year, and PLENTY of teams would love to have a sure shot of Defense plus some dependable offense...
but if there's one guy who could qualify as possibly the craziest NBA player ever, it would be Artest Vs. Rodman, I'm guessing...
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #41
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It is the TO conundrum of the NBA. Do you want a one of the top talents in the game with all of the baggage that comes with him. Some teams feel they should be able to get a guy like TO or Artest at a discount due to all of the problems he is capable of causing off the court/field.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #42
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

And Welsh thinks he can milk stud players from GS or the Lakers. My guess is he gets traded around the trade deadline and will be to an unmentioned team like Memphis.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #43
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't see where Welsh being that far off for requiring Odom to be in that trade. I mean come on aside from Odom and Kobe who do the Lakers really have that would benefit the Pacers or most other quality teams in the league for that matter. Golden State is wise to hold onto the young talent it has and develop it and Artest has not exactly established himself as a guy one would want around young talent.

As for the Grizz; given that Stoudamire is done for the year and Bobby Jackson has only managed to play in 134 games over the past three seasons I have a feeling they may be more inclined to look for PG help as opposed to trading for Artest.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #44
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Talentwise, it isn't that big.

Only difference is Odom is a much better rebounder than Artest, a better teammate(which is important in a young team), leader type, doesn't complain, and can facilitate. Something Artest, Kobe, or Smush can't do.

And not to mention Artest's constant problems. Guy is a ticking bomb, Odom is not. Teams like Denver are offering Martin, a huge contract that isn't worth it, or Nene, another potential huge contract that is coming off an injury.

Warriors aren't offering Diogu.

And on top of that, Reggie Miller constantly said that Pacers were a contender type team with out chemistry. And then said he would not trade for Artest a few weeks back(I believe).

This isn't a guy that teams are willing to part a big part of their future for, especially since the Lakers plan is to maybe entice KG to come here as a free agent in their '07 plan.

As for Grizzlies, West may be one guy that is crazy enough to take the risk.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #45
LITHIUM
Sports Enthusiast

LITHIUM is on a distinguished road

i think he is good enought to the point that wherever he goes he will make a huge impact
LITHIUM is offline   Reply With Quote