Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Tim Tebow staying put...

The junior QB says he'll return for his final year in Gainesville.

Good move? Guess some scouts told him he needed work on his fundamentals before coming out. Will he make it in the NFL? Can he lead Florida to another MNC next year?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

He'll make the NFL in some capacity, but with all the doubt about his pro prospects, he made the right move to stay in school and enjoy his king status as long as possible. Because he'll be a clipboard holder and rookie chump at the next level.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

He made the right move. There is no point for him to come out unless the NFL tells him he is guaranteed to be a top 10 pick. He loses no real money by coming back to school otherwise. From what I heard he was told he could possibly go as high as the 2nd round but would likely go later than that.

I don't know that he is going to be a clipboard holder in the NFL. His future in the league could depend largely upon how insistent he is upon being a QB. I have heard a lot of analysts suggest that if he does not cut it as a QB he could easily be converted into a FB or an H-back because he his so could at making plays with the ball in his hands.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Good move for Tebow. I would like to see him win another Heisman... that would be cool.

I think he could make it in the NFL... I mean.... when you think of guys like Leinart or Young (who were supposed to shine) and haven't done crap... why not Tebow?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

He definitely made the right decision - he won't be a starting QB in the NFL and he won't go in the first round either now or later, so he might as well hope for another college year of glory.....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It hardly matters, because Tim Tebow has "21st Century Gino Torretta" written all over him.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
MassNole
Rookie Player

MassNole is on a distinguished road

You know what I've always wondered about him, if he had gone to a school where he could have learned a Pro Style system, such as say Georgia, how would he have developed as a QB? It isn't like there haven't been physical specimens like him in the NFL before (Steve Young), but those who were like him came from schools that prepared them for the NFL. As good as Florida may be right now, they are not preparing their offensive players for the NFL.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
GoldenBuckeye
Rookie Player

GoldenBuckeye is on a distinguished road

I think Tebow will surprise everyone at the next level.

I would compare him to a Brett Farve type of QB, gutty & gets the job done.

Although, I think he made the right choice by staying in Gainesville one more year.

GLB

Last edited by Marc; 05-24-2009 at 11:39 AM.
GoldenBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBuckeye View Post
I think Tebow will surprise everyone at the next level.

I would compare him to a Brett Farve type of QB, gutty & gets the job done.

Although, I think he made the right choice by staying in Gainesville one more year.

GLB

I'd compare Tim Tebow more closely to Gino Torretta, not Brett Favre - at least insofar as how much success Tebow figures to have in the NFL.

And I've got a hunch that all 32 NFL front offices agree.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, except, that the scope of the game has changed since Torretta's day. If the Dolphins are willing to take Pat White in the second round to run their Wildcat offense you can be rest assured someone else will be willing to the same next spring. At the very least Tebow will be a "Wildcat" quarterback for someone in 2010.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

You guys have obviously not seen Tebow in action. Yes he need some polish to be a NFL QB, but the kid has an arm, touch, and elusiveness. And when the pocket breaks down do you want to be the DB responsible for tackling him???
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Right but so did Alex Smith when he was at Utah. I think the main reservations about him amongst NFL scouts is the fact that the QBs that became something in the NFL that did not play in a pro style offense in college are pretty few and far between. I think there are some questions as to whether teams think he will be able to adapt to a pro style offense given all he has ever run in high school in college is some variant of the spread offense.

He very well may go on to be a fine QB in the NFL but most of those in the know do not seem to believe he is going to be a top pick in the draft because of what I mentioned above.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

But, doublee, don't make the mistake of proscribing the predominant offense of the NFL as some clumped up, 2-TE rush up the middle, pass deep down the sidelines type of offense. The NFL has been spreading out for years now, thanks to the Rams success at the end of last decade and the Pats' success over the last years. Even the Steelers, formerly the team most identified as being the NFL's 3-yards and a cloud of dust type team, is at least as likely to line up with 4 wide outs on 3rd and 4 as they are to line up with 2 TEs and 2 RBs.

I'd say it's early to know for sure how early Tebow will go, but I think he's a first day pick. Earlier if Pat White has any success in Miami at all.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post
But, doublee, don't make the mistake of proscribing the predominant offense of the NFL as some clumped up, 2-TE rush up the middle, pass deep down the sidelines type of offense. The NFL has been spreading out for years now, thanks to the Rams success at the end of last decade and the Pats' success over the last years. Even the Steelers, formerly the team most identified as being the NFL's 3-yards and a cloud of dust type team, is at least as likely to line up with 4 wide outs on 3rd and 4 as they are to line up with 2 TEs and 2 RBs.
No, I know that but the spread is predominantly a shot gun offense and a lot of NFL teams shy away from those kinds of QBs because they tend to have trouble adjusting to taking snaps from under center and getting the rhythm of the five and seven step drops.

Yes, a lot of teams are going to more multiple receiver sets but they are still taking the bulk of their snaps from under center.

Quote:
I'd say it's early to know for sure how early Tebow will go, but I think he's a first day pick. Earlier if Pat White has any success in Miami at all.
I think it is as well. I think a lot will depend on how well he works out for teams and how he looks taking snaps from under center and setting up to throw.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I think someone will definitely take a chance on Tebow.

Quote:
You guys have obviously not seen Tebow in action. Yes he need some polish to be a NFL QB, but the kid has an arm, touch, and elusiveness.
I don't know about touch, but he has a good arm and elusiveness. I think the biggest problem is that he needs a lot of polish to be an NFL QB. I don't think his passing is anywhere near consistent enough right now. He'd be a pretty huge project for any team that took him.

That said, if he threw more/differently this season than the past few it could begin to prepare him for that transition. But, I think he'd rather win again than become a better QB.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote