Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default It is REALLY hard being a Hawks fan

Early this morning, I heard on a local talk show that Atlanta was holding a press conference at 1:00 est. Talk of trades for higher draft picks, a trade for another player, hiring a decent head coach (for once) suddenly flooded the air. For the 1st time in a few years, being a Hawks fan was suddenly exciting. What would the PC be about?

Unfortunately, i missed the press conference, but frantically searched for some kind of info as to what was going on. I kept checking the hawks home page, as well as the AJC's. Nothing. ESPN nor sportsline had any info either. After a couple of hours, i became a bit agitated at the lack of coverage of this major announcement, especially when i got home and still couldn't find any news. Finally, i got a small glimpse of the Hawk's new GM Knight on the home page. And what wondrous news do i see?????

THAT THE HAWKS CALLED A PRESS CONFERENCE JUST TO DISCUSS THE DRAFT!!!!!

WTF?!?!?! I get my hopes up for this crap? You have to be kidding me!!!

I know i may be coming off a bit too harsh here, but i am sick of rooting for this team. Get a coach, and field a better team. At least make an effort to get a big time player.:redhot:

okay, im done for the day.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

No, you're not too harsh, Mike

This has been the worst run organization for countless years.
I'm still a Hawk fan cuz I grew up one but I ignore this BS cuz the results are the same.

I don't see this team changing as long as Dollar Bill is around & after he's not, who knows??

I wore out my *****ing rants years ago tho my views have stayed the same. It's a shame a once proud organization continues to be run into the ground....WTF.....
Old 06-21-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Tarkus, you're a fan as well? I almost thought i was all alone in my misery.

This team's history of bad moves is unreal. wasted draft picks and horrible trades (Dominique for Danny Manning???? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!) So for once they have a chance to at least make a move for the good, i.e. trade up in the draft for Howard (heard the Bobcats got the Clippers #2 for almost nothing, so unless Atl gets Orlando's pick, there is no way Howard will be there by 3), or at least act like they are interested in a trade for 0one of these big players. God knows they have cap space. I thought that was the whole reason they scrapped the team this year. If not, why get rid of Rasheed when he came in?!?!?! I just dont get it. They are sitting around with their thumbs up their ass!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

They got rid of Sheed Mike because he is a free agent now, and he was going to leave Atlanta anyway, so why not get something for him. Jason Terry is an OUTSTANDING pg too Mike, hang your hat on that. I pleaded with the Lakers to sign him last year when he was a free agent, but alas, we got Payton, the human bi***ing machine.

Tarkus...I thought you were a Bulls fan?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

I agree 78. JT is a good player. Unfortunately he is 2 guard trapped in a PG body. It's only a matter of time before the Hawks screw him up.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Something just dawned on me. Why in the name of all that's holy is Billy Knight still being allowed to make personel decisions for the Hawks, when chances are he will not even be with the team next year?

Hey Hawks! The clock is ticking. You gonna make that move in the draft you keep talking about, you may want to hurry up with it!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

just for kicks and giggles.

Atlantaís Recent First Round Picks
2003 - Boris Diaw / Pau Orthez (France) - #21
2001 - Pau Gasol (a) / Spain - #3
Jamaal Tinsley (b) / Iowa State - #27
2000 - DerMarr Johnson / Cincinnati - #6
1999 - Jason Terry / Arizona - #10
Cal Bowdler / Old Dominion - #17
Dion Glover / Georgia Tech - #20
Jumaine Jones (c) / Georgia - #27
1998 - Roshown McLeod / Duke - #22
1997 - Ed Gray / California - #22
1996 - Priest Lauderdale / Central State (OH) - #28
1995 - Alan Henderson / Indiana - #16
1994 - pick went to LA Clippers
1993 - Doug Edwards / Florida State - #15
1992 - Adam Keefe / Stanford - #10
1991 - Stacey Augmon / UNLV - #9
Anthony Avent (d) / Seton Hall - #15
1990 - Rumeal Robinson / Michigan - #10
1989 - Roy Marble / Iowa - #23

(a) Gasol was traded on draft night to the Vancouver (Memphis) Grizzlies, along with Brevin Knight and Lorenzen Wright, in exchange for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and the 27th pick in the draft
(b) Atlanta traded the draft rights to Tinsley to the Indiana Pacers for a future first-round selection. Vancouver chose Tinsley on behalf of Atlanta as part of a trade agreement.
(c) On draft night, Jonesí draft rights were traded to the Philadelphia 76ers for a future first-round pick (via Toronto).
(d) Aventís draft rights were traded to the Denver Nuggets.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:04 AM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Gasol is the one who got away on that list Mike. He's a solid player IMO.

That 99 draft has to hurt for ya. Only Terry has materialized. The rest are garbage.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

I have a feeling this year will be the same way 78. They have picks 6 and 17 (i think that's the right number) so if they aren't gonna trade up, maybe they will snatch up Gordon from UConn. But i really wish they would trafe up for Howard. This franchise is in desperate need of some excitement in the fan base, as well as some good young talent. I don't think anyone besides Howard or Okefor can do that.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Hey, at least Ludacris wears Hawks jerseys in his music videos.

I think the problem starts at the top. The management does not make smart decisions in the draft, they are too cheap to hire a good coach, and do not cater to the fans enough ... they need Mark Cuban to fill that empty arena, it's so depressing.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #11
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

I knew we were in trouble when the last owners hired Billy Knight, the freakin former Grizzlies GM, who never accomplished a thing in Vancouver.

Marc, I hope the new owners will take a page from Arthur Blank and the Falcons book. After Blank bought the team, it became all about the fans and what we wanted.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:27 PM   #12
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

They got a nice player in Childress but hes nothing ground breaking. Futility will continue in Atlanta.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:18 AM   #13
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Hawks finally have some talent now. But they will still struggle to win 20 games
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #14
Ian
Rookie Player

Ian is on a distinguished road

Hey, they got Mike Woodson and Herb Brown now.

It's all about the "right way."
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote