Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-25-2004, 08:51 AM   #16
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
Washington Redskins vs. Baltimore Ravens
A d.c. showdown will happen. I am the biggest cowboy fan their is but i have to say the damn redskins will be great. Their d is just great. with clinton portis and a decent qb (Mark Brunell) this team should do well in a relativly weak NFC. The only problem is that the NFC East is very strong this year. My cowboys are looking pretty good, and Phil is the same as always. Jamal Lewis will be fine but he will carry his team to the superbowl.
unfortunetly the afc is much stronger this year.

Now that i think about it i can't bet against my beloved cowboys
New super bowl pick: Cowboys vs. Pats(they ain't getting any worse by adding Cory Dillion)
I take offense to your comments cuz I am a Cowboys' fan too. I do not WANT MY COWBOYS IN THE SUPER BOWL because I don't want my team to be characterized as CHUMPS. The Dallas Cowboys are all about making the opposition a RUN-N-SHOOT football team and this type of charter has served them well. Unfortunately for Cowboys' fans everywhere this season will (or should) feature a game-within-the-game that allows RUN-N-SHOOT football teams to have EFFECTIVE tendencies. If the Cowboys should get to the Super Bowl they will, UNDOUBTABLY, be the team that loses the game.

Now, do you really want "my" Cowboys in the Super Bowl? I certainly hope not!
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:56 AM   #17
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I heard over the weekend on ESPN Radio, I think it was Mark Madden's show, that the 'Skins are not very optimistic about Laverneus Coles making it through the season. Apparently he has been battling a chronic toe injury that is not getting any better and it is sapping a lot of his speed.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:34 PM   #18
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ego_Maniac
I take offense to your comments cuz I am a Cowboys' fan too. I do not WANT MY COWBOYS IN THE SUPER BOWL because I don't want my team to be characterized as CHUMPS. The Dallas Cowboys are all about making the opposition a RUN-N-SHOOT football team and this type of charter has served them well. Unfortunately for Cowboys' fans everywhere this season will (or should) feature a game-within-the-game that allows RUN-N-SHOOT football teams to have EFFECTIVE tendencies. If the Cowboys should get to the Super Bowl they will, UNDOUBTABLY, be the team that loses the game.

Now, do you really want "my" Cowboys in the Super Bowl? I certainly hope not!
how can you be so sure that if they got to the super bowl they would lose. EVery team that goes to the super bowl has a shot b/c you have to be pretty good to get their. just b/c the afc is stronger this season doesn't automaticly mean a team from that confrence will win. besides the team that loses is still champions of the NFC/AFC which is also a great acomplisment
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:27 AM   #19
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Who says the AFC is stronger? One of its top teams - Tennessee - has been utterly devastated by the salary cap, and no way the Chiefs finish anywhere near 13-3 again this year with their lousy defense and the huge jump in schedule difficulty they're taking. Let's not also forget that the Dolphins - 10-6 last year - have lost Ricky Williams, David Boston, and Adewale Ogunleye (the latter in the recent trade with Chicago).

Not only that, but since the off-season began the NFC has gained the NFL's next franchise QB in Eli Manning, a three-time Super Bowl-winning head coach in Joe Gibbs, and the Bears should be much better this year with the promising Rex Grossman starting from Day One.

The NFC will definitely be the superior conference in 2004.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #20
gconnhokiebird

well great
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Anthony, you are absolutely ridiculous.

Two things:
1. The Ravens have NO (repeat NO) competition in their division. NONE. Not even close. When Cincinnati is the second best team in the division, well, that division is in a dark, dark place. So dark, it could be confused with the AFC West, which is also very bad this season. Need I remind you that you picked them to finish third or fourth last season (memory fails me, as usual, and I'm too damn lazy to look it up) in the AFC North. Well, whether you need the reminder or not, here it is. You don't know your AFC North.

2. This TO saves Philadelphia crap isn't just old, it has ABSOLUTELY NO FOUNDATION IN FACT. What the hell did SF win with TO? Oh, yeah, I remember now: ZERO. NADA. ZILCH. Philly's defense is immeasurably weaker with the passing on of Vincent and Taylor, and there's no guarantee that McNabb-to-Owens can score enough EVERY week to keep up. McNabb's far too spotty, and Owens is far too foolish not to create issues in the locker room.

I agree that the Redskins getting to the SB talk carries with it a scent of sticky-icky, but come the blazes on. All this Philly-to-SB talk is begining to make me sick.
Nevermind it won't happen this year.
And, yes, you heard it here first. Philly doesn't even make it out of the Wild Card round of the playoffs. How's them apples?

Dave
Old 08-26-2004, 05:31 PM   #22
gconnhokiebird

thank you kind sir, what i have figured out also is that great wide receivers just don't help your team as much as you think they would. Anybody can catch a ball if it's a perfect pass. and plenty of wideouts have blazing speed. wide recivers in the NFL arn't much better than each other. It's not a positon like rb where you can just carry the team, b/c to be a good wr you have to have a good supporting cast. I will get yelled at b/c of this but i think wideout is the least mattering position in the nfl.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #23
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
thank you kind sir, what i have figured out also is that great wide receivers just don't help your team as much as you think they would. Anybody can catch a ball if it's a perfect pass. and plenty of wideouts have blazing speed. wide recivers in the NFL arn't much better than each other. It's not a positon like rb where you can just carry the team, b/c to be a good wr you have to have a good supporting cast. I will get yelled at b/c of this but i think wideout is the least mattering position in the nfl.
I don't know what this has to do with anything, but you could also argue that it's the offensive line that makes the running back, sort of the opposite of your argument. I wouldn't downplay how hard it is to be a great receiver.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, you have to have someone to throw to, gconn. Philly has proved that over the last three seasons. If they'd had a go-to WR, they might've made at least one of the last three SBs.

Still, it's not the end-all/be-all, as Anthony would like to suggest here and in another thread. There are those (with whom I find myself siding MOST of the time) who suggest the least important player on offense is the running back.
Let's face it: ANYONE, even me, could have gained four or five yards a rush behind the Hogs back in the 'Skins' day. Someone with some vision and ability to read the blocking of Denver's recent O lines would likely be able to gain significant yardage, massive talent unnecessary.

There has been a discussion on this board (and one can imagine its going to re-appear this season) from time to time regarding the chicken/egg conundrum of the QB/WR relationship. A certain amount of balance is required, I think, the Patriots have shown in the last three years: a good QB and decent receivers will do enough damage to win games.

Of course, key in the Patriots effort has been the O line.

Can Philly's O line stay healthy enough to allow McNabb-to-Owens to develop any truly dangerous effect? We'll see.
This Eagles team has so many question marks that I can't really abide SB proclamations as fact. As far as I'm concerned, Carolina and Seattle are both more set than the Eagles overall.

Dave
Old 08-27-2004, 02:56 AM   #25
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

Two things:
1. The Ravens have NO (repeat NO) competition in their division. NONE. Not even close. When Cincinnati is the second best team in the division, well, that division is in a dark, dark place. So dark, it could be confused with the AFC West, which is also very bad this season. Need I remind you that you picked them to finish third or fourth last season (memory fails me, as usual, and I'm too damn lazy to look it up) in the AFC North. Well, whether you need the reminder or not, here it is. You don't know your AFC North.
Name me one unit on the Bengals - rushing offense, passing offense, run defense or pass defense - that is anywhere near as crummy as Baltimore's passing offense, which was the worst in the whole league in 2003? And it won't get any better this year - not with a quarterback who they wasted two #1 picks on despite the fact that he completed 47 per cent of his passes in college, where he was 14-26 as a starter. Not only that, but Cincinnati signed four free agents on defense, all of whom may wind up starting, and made two picks in April's draft before the Ravens even made one. And even if, after all of the foregoing, Baltimore is still more "talented" overall than Cincinnati, the one bad apple - Baltimore's horrible passing game - is sure to spoil the whole bunch for them.

Quote:
2. This TO saves Philadelphia crap isn't just old, it has ABSOLUTELY NO FOUNDATION IN FACT. What the hell did SF win with TO? Oh, yeah, I remember now: ZERO. NADA. ZILCH. Philly's defense is immeasurably weaker with the passing on of Vincent and Taylor, and there's no guarantee that McNabb-to-Owens can score enough EVERY week to keep up. McNabb's far too spotty, and Owens is far too foolish not to create issues in the locker room.

The Eagle wide receivers caught five TD passes among them all of last year; T.O. will catch at least ten all by himself this year. Plus what about Jeremiah Trotter coming back? No way the Eagles rank 23rd against the run again this season because of that, and with those two problems fixed (and the two problems tended to feed on one another as their lack of a big-play receiver only served to invite opponents to try and run on their defense all the more), who's to stop the Eagles from getting to (and winning) the Super Bowl - one-year flash-in-the-pan Carolina? Soft, one-dimensional St. Louis? Quarterbackless - and for that matter, also running back-less - Dallas? (Eddie George can remember Baskin & Robbins when they only had four flavors!).

Last edited by Anthony; 08-27-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #26
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Name me one unit on the Bengals - rushing offense, passing offense, run defense or pass defense - that is anywhere near as crummy as Baltimore's passing offense, which was the worst in the whole league in 2003? And it won't get any better this year - not with a quarterback who they wasted two #1 picks on despite the fact that he completed 47 per cent of his passes in college, where he was 14-26 as a starter. Not only that, but Cincinnati signed four free agents on defense, all of whom may wind up starting, and made two picks in April's draft before the Ravens even made one. And even if, after all of the foregoing, Baltimore is still more "talented" overall than Cincinnati, the one bad apple - Baltimore's horrible passing game - is sure to spoil the whole bunch for them.

Uh... let's see, they lost on a last second field goal to a team that most agree was head and shoulders better than them offensively in the playoffs. Even with their horrible passing game.

And, come on, Anthony! College won-loss records?!?
If you want to blast Boller for having a crummy rookie season, one riddled by injury and inexperience, well, then, that's fine. But college stats!! You easily overlook his last season at Cal, the defining season of his college career, the one that MADE him an NFL QB. There's more to it than records. There's circumstance. And Boller's circumstance would have left Manning (both of them) wishing for victories.

Boller and Baltimore will be just fine, thank you very much. And the Ravens win the division with relative ease.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
The Eagle wide receivers caught five TD passes among them all of last year; T.O. will catch at least ten all by himself this year. Plus what about Jeremiah Trotter coming back? No way the Eagles rank 23rd against the run again this season because of that, and with those two problems fixed (and the two problems tended to feed on one another as their lack of a big-play receiver only served to invite opponents to try and run on their defense all the more), who's to stop the Eagles from getting to (and winning) the Super Bowl - one-year flash-in-the-pan Carolina? Soft, one-dimensional St. Louis? Quarterbackless - and for that matter, also running back-less - Dallas? (Eddie George can remember Baskin & Robbins when they only had four flavors!).
Trotter, the savior? Did I miss that chapter in the Bible of the NFL?

The Eagles defense is such a cause for concern all over the field, I don't see any reason to discuss it. They have one guy on the front four who can rush the passer-- a guy on whom I'd put money doesn't see October due to injury. They have Trotter The Savior (Wasn't he in Methusalah's high school graduating class?) at linebacker, and nothing more. In the defensive backfield, their best player is either injured or no longer wants to play, either way, he's still not on the field, and they have mediocre corners at best. Who cares about running the ball when you can toss the ball to Antonio Bryant ALL GAME LONG and know you've got an automatic first down everytime you do it.

As for Carolina--I don't believe for an instant that they're flash-in-the-pan; the same was said of NE three seasons ago. How'd that work out?

I don't consider St Louis a legitimate threat to anybody but Arizona and San Francisco, so we're some amount of agreement there.

Dallas, I think, is MUCH better than you give them credit for being. Vinny (known as Adam to biblical scholars) will be a steadying force for the offense that will revolve around George(nothing wrong with just four flavors) and Julius Jones. The Cowboys D is so superior to Philly's in nearly every way, it's laughable to suggest anything less than a split in their two games.

Once the season starts, I think Joe Gibbs proves that of all the things the 'Skins organization has done wrong in the last several years doesn't mean squat, because they got the coach right, finally.

And, you omit Seattle, probably the best team in the NFC.

That's okay, though, Anthony.

You keep screaming Oh-fer-TO. We like the new, positive approach, even if it's more than mildly insane and myopic.

Dave
Old 08-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #27
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Baltimore Ravens!
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:00 PM   #28
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Ellis.....?

I thought you were gone......big game hunting in Africa.....or something or other.....

I forget.

Anyway, hi.

The Ravens blow.

poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #29
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Ah, feel the love that flows from the depths of poptart's heart...

Dave
Old 08-28-2004, 04:33 AM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Uh... let's see, they lost on a last second field goal to a team that most agree was head and shoulders better than them offensively in the playoffs. Even with their horrible passing game.

And, come on, Anthony! College won-loss records?!?
If you want to blast Boller for having a crummy rookie season, one riddled by injury and inexperience, well, then, that's fine. But college stats!! You easily overlook his last season at Cal, the defining season of his college career, the one that MADE him an NFL QB. There's more to it than records. There's circumstance. And Boller's circumstance would have left Manning (both of them) wishing for victories.

Boller and Baltimore will be just fine, thank you very much. And the Ravens win the division with relative ease.

The point is, you don't give up two first-round picks for someone with such a record (and I'm not singling out Baltimore; what Buffalo did this past spring was every bit as bad).

And "crummy rookie season" is vastly understating things: At the time Boller went out for the season with his injury the Ravens were on pace to break several chuck-rule-era records, including fewest yards passing per game and fewest yards per completion.

Quote:
Trotter, the savior? Did I miss that chapter in the Bible of the NFL?

The Eagles defense is such a cause for concern all over the field, I don't see any reason to discuss it. They have one guy on the front four who can rush the passer-- a guy on whom I'd put money doesn't see October due to injury. They have Trotter The Savior (Wasn't he in Methusalah's high school graduating class?) at linebacker, and nothing more. In the defensive backfield, their best player is either injured or no longer wants to play, either way, he's still not on the field, and they have mediocre corners at best. Who cares about running the ball when you can toss the ball to Antonio Bryant ALL GAME LONG and know you've got an automatic first down everytime you do it.

As for Carolina--I don't believe for an instant that they're flash-in-the-pan; the same was said of NE three seasons ago. How'd that work out?

I don't consider St Louis a legitimate threat to anybody but Arizona and San Francisco, so we're some amount of agreement there.

Dallas, I think, is MUCH better than you give them credit for being. Vinny (known as Adam to biblical scholars) will be a steadying force for the offense that will revolve around George(nothing wrong with just four flavors) and Julius Jones. The Cowboys D is so superior to Philly's in nearly every way, it's laughable to suggest anything less than a split in their two games.

Once the season starts, I think Joe Gibbs proves that of all the things the 'Skins organization has done wrong in the last several years doesn't mean squat, because they got the coach right, finally.

And, you omit Seattle, probably the best team in the NFC.

That's okay, though, Anthony.

You keep screaming Oh-fer-TO. We like the new, positive approach, even if it's more than mildly insane and myopic.

Dave

Even with Mark Simoneau at middle linebacker - who isn't even big enough to play strong safety in this league, much less middle linebacker - the Eagles ranked an excellent seventh in total points allowed in 2003; when they needed to stop people, they did the vast majority of the time.

And the Seasickhawks? You can't be serious. If their linebackers aren't the worst in the entire league, they're very close to it - plus they have hearts made out of pure tin, as evidenced by their 2-6 road record last year as opposed to 8-0 at home; the Eagles, by contrast, were 7-1 on the road and 5-3 at home - and would have been 8-0 on the road if Andy Reid hadn't tried that ridiculous onside kick to start the Dallas game.

So far as Washington goes - how many solo tackles is Joe Gibbs going to make? Not enough of them to keep the 'Skins from losing seven games, say I.

But regardless of what happens this season, 2004 will be remembered forever in Philadelphia as The Year Of The Faustian Bargain - only Goethe isn't around to write the ending (if he was, Reid might wind up suffering the same fate as Gerry Faust!). It is this that makes the Eagles the team to watch this year, even if you don't think they're the team to beat.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-28-2004 at 08:50 AM.