Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:50 PM   #31
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I know that I have no say in who the mods are and I really shouldn't have any. Also, all of the mods have been great to me, but every single mod is a 20-30 year old college student, with only one or two excepsions. All of the mods are almost the same type of posters. Wouldn't it change the atmosphere a little for the better if we got a few more people out side of the "Mod stereo-type" in there? Couldn't we mix things up a little and add a few people like tarkus, bama, or even poptart?

Last edited by Ellis; 09-13-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #32
Ellis
gymnopedist

Also note that this thread has now been up for a little under 24 hours.

It has sparked some controversy and has had some small verbal fights...

AND IT ALREADY HAS 230 VIEWS and 30 REPLIES!!!!

See how very heated threads draw people into the boards?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #33
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Ellis, I guess it goes towards who fits the image that the site administrator want's to convey.......

Personally I don't have a problem with this board for a number of reasons, and two reasons why I like these boards in particular are:

1) I can post stuff sports related which is basically what everyone here wants to do.

2) There's no childish rants, so the discussion is somewhat elevated. I actually feel like I'm talking to people who know sports, and want to know sports. Not some clown who constantly insults other posters or makes jokes about things that are totally irrelevant to the topics at hand.

While certain "fights" may not be tolerated, discussions/debates/disagreements are. To me, there's a huge difference in arguing that the Toronto Maple Leafs as a team suck because they always fill their roster with has-beens and over the hill superstars, in comparison to saying that the Leafs suck because their fans are all from Ontario and everyone in Canada hates Ontario. It should seem obvious which standpoint would have better credibility on this board and why.

I like entertaining posters just as much as anyone ...... like the diehard Ranger fans who always think money will buy them the Cup ..... or the Yankee fans who think that's there's nothing wrong with trying to blow away the competition with an annual payroll that would dwarf the ten-year spending of some pro franchises. These fans are so blinded by their loyalty to their teams that they seem totally irrational. This to me is entertainment!

And obviously I agree that personal attacks, threats, racist and sexist remarks really do not have any place on these boards. It's about sports people ..... not who can be the biggest clown.

I think I'm with the majority when I say ..... if you want more insulting or humourous posters, go to Yahoo ...... I can tell you from first-hand experience, they have many. And it's for that reason that I'm here. I just got sick of trying to have a discussion about a coach's firing or who to bench in my fantasy pools only to have some moron start spaming everyone, or posting idiotic messages like "George is a ***** lover" over and over. When you ask them to stop, they just start insulting you.

I'm sick of that crap ...... I know people who run a board similar to this one and I have to say .... without any moderators patrolling the boards, things would get ugly real quick. Once again look at Yahoo.

I don't know any of the mods on this site personally so I really can't give a good judgement as to who should be a mod and who shouldn't. But based on my short time here, other than being occasionally irked because they moved my post, I really can't complain too much about the mods.

As far as Ellis comment about mixing it up ..... once again I can't really say much on that because I don't really know most of those people either. Hopefully in time I will.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #34
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Pretty good point in your last post Ellis LOL ...... this is a heated discussion ..... I have no problems with this. I just hope it doesn't turn overly personal.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #35
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ellisismyhero
.....every single mod is a 20-30 year old college student,....
30 yr old college student....?

Damn man, I thought I was the only "student" who participated in the.....uhh.....12 yr (booze and babes) plan.

Props, fellas.

Quote:
All of the mods are almost the same type of posters.
Left-wing pinkos....?

Quote:
.....poptart for mod.....
Nice thought, Ellis, but I'll be a mod in here when...........

Old 09-13-2004, 11:37 PM   #36
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

This could be an age issue for ellis really. There's nothing more frustrating then being young with no power. However, as an old fart, I'd say wait your turn to decide matters.

For the most part, ellis and poptart are trying to expand civil rights on the boards IMO. That would be fine if this conversation was in the real world, and not on a private board. You guys are the quickly becoming the Martha Burke of SCMB. Like one mod said, if you don't like it, leave.

And that's a line that's popular with poptart's ideology, so I think he should put down a quarter and buy it.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #37
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
1) I can post stuff sports related which is basically what everyone here wants to do.
Ok.... never did i say i was against that.

Quote:
2) There's no childish rants, so the discussion is somewhat elevated. I actually feel like I'm talking to people who know sports, and want to know sports. Not some clown who constantly insults other posters or makes jokes about things that are totally irrelevant to the topics at hand.
You need some things in threads that irrelevant to the topics at hand. It keeps things interesting. I am not saying you need a lot, but some here and there are not a problem.

Quote:
It's about sports people ..... not who can be the biggest clown.
You are starting to sound like JT the Brick...
It's about sports, but come on, clowns never hurt any one.

Quote:
if you want more insulting or humourous posters, go to Yahoo ...... I can tell you from first-hand experience, they have many.
A lot of humourous posters is a bad thing, but we need some here. Maybe that is part of the point I am trying to get across.

Quote:
I'm sick of that crap ......
... Uh oh, JT the Brick is back...

Quote:
without any moderators patrolling the boards, things would get ugly real quick
I never said any thing about dumping mods. I talked about adding some.

Quote:
Pretty good point in your last post Ellis LOL ...... this is a heated discussion ..... I have no problems with this.
thank you. I think that this thread gets my point across that heated threads get people coming in more. And we wounder why the boards are empty compaired to last year.

Quote:
30 yr old college student....?
Ok, I was a little off on that one

I don't know. Maybe no one is seeing any of my points, but I think the boards would improve a little if we let more things go.

Last edited by Ellis; 09-13-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 AM   #38
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Ellis- We have discussions like this ALL the time. Not on this topic, necessarily, but there are heated discussions in all the forums where I spend most of my time. (Football, Lounge)

Clowns don't hurt, as long as they know when the clown act has run its course. Problem with many clown acts on message boards is that they don't know when to quit.

Are the boards emptier this year than last? Do you have stats on that, Ellis? Seems close to the same to me, but, I'm not necessarily known for having the best memory.

At the end of the day, it's all about how Marc wants this message board to be run. Ultimately, I'd tread carefully if you want this board to continue to exist. With Marc in college, one never knows when he'll decide he's too busy to put with this kind of stuff, and just plain ol' close it.

I'd rather be a pinko commie, poptart, than a Bush supporter.

Dave
Old 09-14-2004, 12:38 AM   #39
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

Are the boards emptier this year than last? Do you have stats on that, Ellis? Seems close to the same to me, but, I'm not necessarily known for having the best memory.
Well, the number of posts seem way lower than they were last year. Although, I don't have any stats to back it up, tomorow I will try and get you some. I am sure that they are lower than last year.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:47 AM   #40
Ellis
gymnopedist

Another problem could be that we are letting guests do moderating duties :lol:

Old 09-14-2004, 12:50 AM   #41
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

" You need some things in threads that irrelevant to the topics at hand. It keeps things interesting."

You NEED this? As in, we can't get by without it? Oh boy, I beg to differ.

It's the same with the "clowns" you are talking about. You did not sign a loyalty oath when you signed up for SportsCentral. You can peruse as many different boards as you wish, and most of them are chock--full of the irrelevance, clownishness, and flame you so desire and agitate for. You should check those out when you are in the mood for them, like I said before...rather than agitating for that to become de riguer over here, because it ain't gonna happen no matter how much you plead.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-14-2004, 01:45 AM   #42
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

My piece: I definitely enjoy trading a few jabs here and there, or at least used to. So I can definitely understand your POV, Ellis..
But on the other hand, Kevin is exactly right: if those things are allowed to run, the quality of the board inevitably drops.
And that's the whole reason we all like this board, is because it is populated by intelligent folks and there's not a lot of the mindless misspelled jabs that deteriorate into a pile of steaming you know what.

So my piece in a nutshell, is: poptart just try relaxing a little bit and let it go. you know you'll miss this board if you burn your bridges, bro
Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 AM   #43
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Ellis .... your last post comes off as very defensive so let me set the record straight. I wasn't taking issue with any of your points and I apologize if it came across that way. In fact I agree with many of your points .... except one. I won't go into depth but I think KevinBeane hit it on the head about the point .....

" You need some things in threads that irrelevant to the topics at hand. It keeps things interesting."

You NEED this? As in, we can't get by without it? Oh boy, I beg to differ.

I too beg to differ. This is a sports message board. That's why I come here. To talk, rant, question, answer anything sports related. If I want to discuss other things, then I'll sign on to other boards. That's all I meant by that point.

BTW ..... who the hell is JT the Brick?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:03 AM   #44
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Bravo Ellis, bravo ....... you've got what you wanted. A thread that has people debating and arguing the merits of what should and should not be posted on this message board. It isn't really relevant to sports (although it is to this sports board) and we already have let things go a bit with posters and moderators embroiled in a debate about the material posted on this board.

I gotta hand it to you. You must have been smiling when you started this little rant, knowing full well that the effects would in fact support your point.

Cheers :cheers:

Old 09-14-2004, 04:35 AM   #45
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Easy on Ellis, will ya, Kevin? He brought up a debatable point, however how fruitless the effort was, & presented it in a respectful manner.

He cares about this board & I believe him to have shown a respect to the hierarchy not usually seen in todays youth. I think he should be talked to like a man with a view than painting him just as an agitator. His focus is on his point & not on overthrowing the sensibilities of SCMB.

I don't think he realizes the impact of "free-for-all" posting but that doesn't make him a troublemaker. JMHO

lol, Habs Fan...

Ellis deserves respect for that if for nothing else. There definitely was a method to his madness. For that strategy alone, I give him props. lol