Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road
Default The Wild Hokie Season All Comes Down To This!

Virginia Tech was picked as low as 8th to finish in the ACC. I didn't even have much confidence and was expecting the usual 7-5 season. It sure did look that way after the first 4 weeks. We were 2-2 with a very tight loss to USC, and an offensive falter and a missed that caused a loss to NC State. I thought we were really done in, but still had hope. We didn't have time to figure out what was wrong either, b/c are next game was agasint rival West Virginia. That game being at home in Lane Stadium probaly changed the whole season. Bryan Randall comes up with some spectaclar clutch plays for a touchdown drive. We hold off Rasheed Marshall with great D the entire game and win the Black Diamond Trophy over high Ranked West Virginia. I feel new life. Skipping the small games, a very close game that no one really remembers was vs. Wake Forest. We had an extreme amount of trouble handiling Chris Barclay, I thought the whole game that we had it in the bag but was not over untill the finall whistle. Bryan Randall came up some more clutch runs and the defense made a goal line stand to give us the win. On a Thursday night game We score 20+ points in the 4th quater to come back against Georgia Tech. It felt so wierd. We had always had good teams but had never seemed to be able to put it all together. This game showed that we were a group of winners that really had a chance to do some damage, but still far from leaders FSU, Miami, and Virginia. Next game was another scare against UNC, i didn't see it b/c of a soccer tournament but I knew it was close. Jim Davis's sack pushed them out of the kickers range and we won another nail biter. The Thursday night Maryland game was the one that worried me the most. I didn't think we would get by their smothering defese. We come out red hot w/ an interception and the offense is on a roll. Unfortunatly Mike Imoh gets hurt, but Cedric Humes proves that he is a worthy back in all of the final games. We end up blowing them out in a game that was never close on national TV and really earned us some respect and consideration for ACC Champs. Still a long shot though. Their was a buzz all around Virginia with the big battle for the common wealth cup coming up. Virginia Tech was hosting and was a big factor. We played hard doing decent agaisnt the Alvin Pearman and Wali Lundy combo. The 2 plays that made the differnce were when Alvin Pearman broke a big run and was heading for the endzone, a Tech back diddn't give up and prevented the touch. Wali Lundy fumbled the next play. Than when we were trying to to take the lead and we were on the U.V.A. 30 Radall read a heavy blitz. He called and audible that sent Royal and Hyman on hitch and go routes. It worked like a charm, with Randall throwing off his back foot to Hyman for another big pass play. Got that play on my wall in my room and will never forget it. We than shut down the Cavs and won the game. I bragged my ass of at school and rubbed it in hard. I just prayed we could come up with a win against Miami. I new it was another rivalry game that was always tight, but I thought their Defense would just be to much. Plus we were travleing to the Orange bowl. It turned out that the Miami offfense was nonexistint, only getting points off great speacial teams plays. But near the end, Randall found freshman Eddie Royal in a crossing route. Royal burned the great Antrell Rolle for the gw touch. Miami got the ball back but could just do nothing with it. We had done it, came from the Big East and won the ACC with just one hell of a season. I would have been happy just to not fall apart, but we had won the ACC! It took me a good week for this to set in and see that we were going to the Nokia Sugar bowl.

Well thats pretty much the overview of our miraculous season, I can't believe I had the patience to do it. I just feel I need to express how we got here. Now Tonights game. To most sports viewers if Virginia Tech pulled out a win it would be an absoulute shock. But when people look deeper into the game they see that we match up well and might have a chance. It really would be great to get a win b/c all I've heard in the news is "AUBURN TRYING TO SHOW THEIR #1 AND HOW THEY WERE RIPPED OFF. PLUS, PRETTY MUCH SHRUGGED OFF THE GAME LIKE IT WOULD BE A WALK IN THE PARK. I'VE HEARD NOTHING ON TECH. BUT EVERY HOKIE AT SCHOOL HAS BEEN PUMPED AND GOING CRAZY. THIS IS WHAT I'M LIVING FOR RIGHT NOW. NO ONE CARED ABOUT ANYTHING IN CLASS, JUST COUNTING DOWN UNTIL TONIGHT, LETS TAKE IT TO EM' HOKIES.

I think we can limit them on defense. Were extremly quick and i think we can handle cadilac better than people think. I see us having more of a problem with Ronnie Brown. Scratch that, Cadilacs tough. Are secondary matches up well with their wideouts, but it all depends on how we stop the run. On offense I think we will have not much of a running even with above average backs Mike Imoh and Cedric Humes. I don't know if we can pass but so well either, they've got that star cb, I don't know the rest of them. The Freshman Hyman and Royal have to step up. Same with speedy sophmore Clowny. I think Bryan Randall is going to have to make alot of big runs out of nowhere. Will probally need some big speacial teams plays also.

Whoh the crowed looks like it will go nuts. Randall can handle it. If its close in the 4th, he will lead us to the win. I think Auburn is the best team in the country right now but we need to end that. If we win people will probaly say Auburn is overrated but thats not true at all. This game makes me feel like were getting a rematch with USC, except on a bigger stage.

This Story book season is all coming down to this, and it would be a dream if we win. Lets Go Hokies! Show what we've got!
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

For once, I'm with gconn, and pulling for the hokies, just because I'm mean, and I want 33 to cry about something real, instead of mythological national championship titles....

Dave
Old 01-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
gconnhokiebird

Good to have you cheering for the Hokies. We can take them. Were not getting enough respect and we need to prove how we are for real. I also fogot to mention in my giganitc post how great of a season Bryan Randall has had. After being doubted as a starter and pressured by Marcus Vick to perfom great. Everyone on this sight said that Vick was all we had. Doesn't look like it. Randall could have been similar to this last year, if they would have made him the full starter the whole season and not broken his rhythem. But now we all know hes great and its time to show it. Go Hokies!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
gconnhokiebird

Are you kidding me? What a joke. I may personally go down their and shoot that full back on the spot. An excellent drive. I agree w/ the call of going for it on 4th and inches on the goalline. Probaly shouldn't have been a pass, but it hit him right on his numbers and he flat out dropped it. We had the best team in the country on the ropes and he drops it. I don't know what to say other screw him. Our defense has been good in the redzone, but i don't even care after that. Please pull something together Hokies.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Sorry, bird.
I didn't get to see a second of it, but it looks like the Hokies made a late, valiant, but too little, push.

Dave
Old 01-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Auburn didnt win it....V-Tech lost it for themselves....their defense played good enough to win the game but the offense didnt do anything until the end
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

13-0, how sweet it is. Say what you want, Hokie, we should have blown y'all out of the dome, but we got too conservative and were just focusing on winning. We only threw 16 passes. The better team won. Everyone said all year auburn would slip up because they always do, well not this year. We beat more top 10 teams than anyone and went undefeated in the best conference in the nation. We will claim our national title whether ist's from the AP or from Reader's Digest. Auburn 2004 National Champions.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

What if Reader's Digest goes with the winner of the Oklahoma - USC game as their National Champ?

Auburn didn't even play like they wanted the AP to change their vote. Go for it at 4th and goal from inside the five, damn.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
gconnhokiebird

Auburn's mistakes were much more forced than ours. Auburn didn't blow is out b/c we tightened up in the redzone. Our 2 key mistakes had nothing to do with Auburn. I DON'T THINK AN AUBURN DEFENDER CAUSED ARE FULL BACK TO DROP THE BALL IN THE ENDZONE. Same w/ the missed 20 whatever yard kick.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Tiger, we all secretly know that Auburn is the best team, and any time they lose, past or future, it's because they were too conservative. The fact the USC beat VT by more than Auburn actually proves they are WORSE than Auburn, because it's not good sportsmanship.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Give it up Hokie, Auburn got too conservative. We could have torched your secondary some more in the 4th, but we never threw the damn thing. Campbell only threw 16 passes the whole game, and your secondary could not cover anybody. I didn't much care for that CB #1 on your team. I thought it was pretty ridiculous how much junk he was talking. He even got up talking crap after Campbell hit his wide open man, Anthony Mix for 50 yards, and of course, after getting burned, #1 late hits him out of bounds (wasn't called but should have been), and then butts helmets when they got up, and was talking some serious smack at the same time. And, then he got beat deep again for about 30 yards when Campbell hit Courtney Taylor deep on his sorry ass, and he smacked Taylor in the head and talked some more smack. He was getting beat all night, and I loved it. Obviously, though, he is one of those guys who cannot put the money where his mouth is. But, please, Auburn was the much better team. We are better than VT in every aspect of the game and we deservingly won the game.

Last edited by tigereyes33; 01-04-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

were you watching the same game the rest of us were??? cuz Auburn was not the "much better team"....and they were not better then VT in every aspect of the game either. VTech made too many mistakes and lost the game for themselves
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Okay, we have a better defense, better quarterback, better running backs, better wide receivers, and better special teams. All of these were proven in this game. If we had wanted, we could have put up probably at least 23 or 30, had we thrown the ball in the entire 4th quarter. Tuberville played to win, and we did. And y'all can moan and complain about how VT lost that game, but maybe they shouldn't have been throwing to an unathletic fullback on 4th down. That was bad coaching. And our kicker made 3 short field goals, and VT's missed one. We just executed, like we have all season. And, Auburn had one more turnover than VT, so we did not play completely flawless ourselves. Auburn won that football game, it wasn't VT just plainly losing it. That is why we are 13-0, because we have shown up ready to play every single game. That is the difference between us and VT this year. We are the much better team.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
gconnhokiebird

I admit that Auburn is probaly slightly the better team but not by much. Some times the better team doesn't win and they shouldn't have last night. I told you we were a dirty team but Cadilac was running his mouth more than anyone on the feild. When "#1" got burned down the feild he was covering someone else and came to make the tackle.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Tuberville played to win, but played to win as a number two team in the land.

A National Champion can let loose against a team they are meant to beat, why? Because they know they can overcome. They played tight and it didn't make sense at all.

Because here's the thing, if you take chances, you're still probably going to win even if you miss on a couple, because you are the better team, but you also give yourself the chance of routing a team. Auburn shouldn't even talk about getting vaulted over USC or Oklahoma because they didn't play like they wanted to be vaulted over USC or Oklahoma.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote