Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #16
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

That just dosn't make sense if you think of it. You don't try to win a certain way. If Tuberville wanted to play conservitve he was probaly right. He's just playing to win. If its a blow out, its a blowout. Don't say they played to win as the number 2 team in the land, thats just silly, they played to win.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #17
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

No, because you CAN play conservatively and they did. It made no sense to play conservatively if you want to be the best in the land because you should still be able to overcome if you take a chance and miss.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #18
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I think maybe (not to put words in his mouth) what GConn is trying to say is, it's that Auburn felt that they HAD to play conservative because that's what gave him the best chance of WINNING THE GAME. As myuch as TigerEyes says, "Oh, we could've torched your DBs if we wanted to," obviously Auburn respected the VT pass defense and thought their best matchups lay in pounding the ball. Are you suggesting Tuberville should have said, "Winning isn't enough, men....we play for national championships, so play to blow them out." That's like telling a reciever to start running before he catches that ball.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #19
gconnhokiebird

Tuberville new he was facing a potenitally dangerous team. He was playing to win just like in any other game. Think of the consequnces if Auburn were to play extremly aggresive and actully lose. The Coach of the year did what was right and just tried to win.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #20
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Kevin, it's one thing to play conservative in terms of run/pass, but down on the goalline not going for it on 4th and goal from the two is something that I think they should have done if they wanted people to talk of them as the National Champion.

A National Champion SHOULD get in from the 2 yard line against Virginia Tech. Find THAT out about your team, but I think Tuberville was scared to find that out.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #21
gconnhokiebird

your forgetting a whole lot. The Virginia Tech redzone d had been just stellar, and was shutting down the run. you make it sound like Tech is a bad team. Besides it was one play. They drained the clock at the end just like a normal team would b/c at that point the game was not a blowout and Virgina Tech was in stricking distance.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #22
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I'm not forgetting any of that.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:22 AM   #23
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

We didnt have a shot at a share of the national title anyway, as seen tonight as OU was an absolute disgrace. We obviously should have been in Miami instead, but thats why we need a playoff. USC won
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:36 AM   #24
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^I'd just like to say that signature of yours is funny. Funny in the sense that it's sad, sad crying and jealousy on the part of SEC huggers like yourself, who thinks it's actually reasonable to believe the Tigers had a shot at the National Championship this year. Hate to tell ya, but they don't, and you want to know why? It all goes back at the beginning of last year, when that team you cheer for hosted the USC Trojans at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

What was the result of that game? Oh yeah...it was an embarrassing loss for the Auburn Tigers...one that sent the team into a miserable downward spiral for a few games. I'm sure you remember. It wasn't until the second half of the season Tommy could rally himself as the people's coach and win his job back, in impressive financial fashion. Now we go through this year, and what exactly do the Tigers have to offer in terms of them having a claim to the title? An undefeated record? That doesn't automatically give any team that right to claim themselves as national champions. By golly, Utah should be considered then, especially when you look how dominant they were. There's no making any mistake when saying that controversy helps stir the popularity of college football, but this was a year where the controversy ended on the Orange Bowl field.

USC will, and should be considered undisputed national champions. They demonstrated what a complete winning performance was in the grandest stage of the sport, something Auburn hadn't done all-year long. Sorry, but I consider any sad whining about how Auburn got screwed as bad taste from those who can't accept the fact that a west coast team just won the national championship in history-making fashion.

Last edited by El Jefe; 01-05-2005 at 05:03 AM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 AM   #25
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Oh no, this has all the makings of a spam war.... lol.

USC should be unanimous champs (in terms of the socially constructed AP and BCS polls). Whether who's the better team: USC, Auburn or even Utah, which was the only undefeated to cruise... the other two had their bumps and close calls).... who knows which one is the best?

Although USC are the champs (on paper and in the eyes of many), you can't help but understand Auburn's gripe.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 AM   #26
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I dont think Utah should even be considered in the same regards with Auburn and USC

While i was rooting for OU(just because they are from the big 12), and i dont really like USC, they merely outplayed OU tonight and solved everything for us. They dominated that game and proved to me they are the best in the country.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #27
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by coachJ
I dont think Utah should even be considered in the same regards with Auburn and USC
Why not? They're undefeated, they scheduled BCS conference teams in their OOC schedule and they still went unchallenged, then they blew out their BCS Bowl Game opponent. Why can't they be held in the same light as Auburn and USC?

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #28
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Because the schedule they played wasn't as tough as USCs or Auburn's. It wasn't even close. I hate the argument "they scheduled teams from BCS conferences". They played UNC and Texas A & M. To say that blowing out Pitt should get them #1 talk is ridiculous, even if it is a BCS game, because Pitt simply wasn't good.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #29
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Texas A&M and UNC aren't just BCS teams, but BCS bowl teams. It's true that there schedule isn't the greatest, but it's sort of weird that you seem to be saying not that Utah is an unknown entity, but that they are probably not as good as the elite. They did the same thing USC or Auburn would've done against that schedule - blow everyone out.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #30
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

they also did what most of the Top 25 would have done as well....I would be willing to bet that the whole top 10 teams could go undefeated with that kind of schedule...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote