Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

bearsr4real is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks, Brett!!

this is coming from a rabid bears fan, but i'm glad to see brett favre go out like this. sure, the bears lost, but we didn't lose anything more than a little pride (i didn't see anyone get hurt), and brett favre deserves to go out beating the bears. and you could see by his body language that it's over. everyone knows it. that's why the family was at the game in chicago. he was a great player for the NFL and some day when we're old, if they still have these message boards, we'll get to wax reminiscent about the guy.
bearsr4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsr4real View Post
this is coming from a rabid bears fan, but i'm glad to see brett favre go out like this. sure, the bears lost, but we didn't lose anything more than a little pride (i didn't see anyone get hurt), and brett favre deserves to go out beating the bears.
Rabid??? Favre deserves to go out beating the Bears??? Those 2 are polar opposites...

NO Bear fan worth his salt feels that way. It's bad enough that we came in flat, underestimated the Pack probably figuring they had nothing to play for since they were eliminated from the playoffs & proceeded to get our asses handed to us but you wanted to see Favre beat us so he can have some sort of fairy tale ending? If anything, the Bears screwed up a perfect opportunity to give a measure of payback for all the victories he piled up against us thru the years if he decides to retire.

Deserves, my ass...

Quote:
and you could see by his body language that it's over. everyone knows it. that's why the family was at the game in chicago. he was a great player for the NFL and some day when we're old, if they still have these message boards, we'll get to wax reminiscent about the guy.
I don't agree at all that everybody knows & his family should be there in case he does hang it up but IMO it means nothing. Until he announces it, no one knows...

& "some day when we're old...we'll get to wax reminiscent" is exactly when Bear fans should. Waxing "poetic" now is definitely not the time...
Old 01-01-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It could be worse, you know - the Bears could have been the Bulls or the Blackhawks, in which case losing might very well have ended up costing them home advantage in the NBA Finals or the Stanley Cup finals!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It could be worse, you know - the Bears could have been the Bulls or the Blackhawks, in which case losing might very well have ended up costing them home advantage in the NBA Finals or the Stanley Cup finals!
If it was the Bulls or the Blackhawks, we wouldn't have to worry about home field, the Finals or the Stanley Cup...

As inconsistent the Bears have played the last month & the yardage the D has allowed along with injuries thrown in, home field may not be enough to do much. We have more pressing issues than if we've thrown enough accolades toward Favre.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Brett was pretty emotional after game, in media interview...

Said he'd decide his future soon...I'm betting he is done...For my money he is best QB; his record is very close to Elway's record... It might be good for him to go out on a high point...

I enjoyed watching Favre... that's probably the best testimony to good QB!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

BigBuddhaPup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet View Post
Brett was pretty emotional after game, in media interview...

Said he'd decide his future soon...I'm betting he is done...For my money he is best QB; his record is very close to Elway's record... It might be good for him to go out on a high point...

I enjoyed watching Favre... that's probably the best testimony to good QB!
He definitely is/was one of the best ever... not even taking in the hugeness of his numbers, but his heart, leadership, clutch playing...

It did look like he was leaning towards retiring after the game, but I hope that he decides to come back for another year... we have only one life to live, I hope he leaves the game when his skills are gone... if the Packers put a good offensive team around him, they will be in the playoffs next year...

All the best to number 4...:thumbup:

:thumbup: Go Steelers....
"So it goes"
BigBuddhaPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

If last year taught me anything it is that I will believe it when I see him officially retire.

Part of me cannot help but wonder if a team like Jacksonville, an otherwise good team, who could use an upgrade at QB won't offer Brett a ton of cash to try and load up for a run at the Super Bowl next year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

bearsr4real is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Rabid??? Favre deserves to go out beating the Bears??? Those 2 are polar opposites...

NO Bear fan worth his salt feels that way. It's bad enough that we came in flat, underestimated the Pack probably figuring they had nothing to play for since they were eliminated from the playoffs & proceeded to get our asses handed to us but you wanted to see Favre beat us so he can have some sort of fairy tale ending? If anything, the Bears screwed up a perfect opportunity to give a measure of payback for all the victories he piled up against us thru the years if he decides to retire.

Deserves, my ass...
Hahahaha. whatever man. some people are able to be a diehard fan of one team and still respect other teams and players in the league. favre has always played the game with enthusiasm and he's always been a stand-up guy and a good representative of the nfl. no one's perfect, but he's been a great example. and yes, favre has always had our number which is why i WANT him to retire (and if he would have lost last night, you KNOW he'd come back). the perfect conditions for a perfect ending will generally CREATE AN ENDING. don't knock me just because i view things with more depth than you, buddy.
bearsr4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

RavenPoe is on a distinguished road

My gut tells me he'll be back. He's like Rice, he'll leave when no one will sign him. He's just too competitive to quit now. He was crying at the thought, not the reality. Even if he announces retirement, wait to the offseason starts before believing it.

One of the 6 all-time greats at QB in my opinion.
RavenPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsr4real View Post
Hahahaha. whatever man. some people are able to be a diehard fan of one team and still respect other teams and players in the league.
Implying that any Bear fans that don't start a tribute thread to a player who hasn't even announced his retirement have no respect for other team's players? :lol:

No way out of this one no matter how you spin it..

Quote:
favre has always played the game with enthusiasm and he's always been a stand-up guy and a good representative of the nfl. no one's perfect, but he's been a great example.
I must have missed where someone posted the above wasn't true....

Still no reason for a Bear fan sponsored tribute thread IMO stating that Favre deserved to win. That's absolutely ridiculous...

Quote:
and yes, favre has always had our number which is why i WANT him to retire (and if he would have lost last night, you KNOW he'd come back). the perfect conditions for a perfect ending will generally CREATE AN ENDING. don't knock me just because i view things with more depth than you, buddy.
If you think it's a knock on you, great. Just cuz a Bear fan starting a tribute thread struck me as out there, is just an opinion. Take it or leave it...

As far as depth...:lol: Just how long ago did you jump on the Bear wagon or begin to watch football?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

RavenPoe is on a distinguished road

I respect players from rival teams. It doesn't make me less of a fan, just more the NFL fan. Anyone who is unwilling to give props to Favre is just a hater. I would think anyone suffering through the Gross-Man would be real appreciative of a QB like Favre. :lol:
RavenPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

It was great to watch Brett zing the ball last night. I hope he will be back. I want him to beat Marino's records. He is quite a player. He can still play, and he's proved it. I'll always be a fan whether he retires or not.
As far as rooting for an opposing team or player, I respect a gifted player even when he's playing against a team I support. I would have no problems giving props to Favre, whether he is QB'ing my team or the Packers. I can't, however root for the selfish crybaby types that are mere flashes in the pans.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenPoe View Post
I respect players from rival teams. It doesn't make me less of a fan, just more the NFL fan. Anyone who is unwilling to give props to Favre is just a hater.
Agreed...

Now all we need is someone around here that's not respecting Favre so that point can be driven home...

Quote:
I would think anyone suffering through the Gross-Man would be real appreciative of a QB like Favre. :lol:
Any football fan should be appreciative of a QB of Favre's stature. As far as Bear fans, it's a rare sight to ever see a tribute to #4 with a statement he deserved to win last night.

Appreciate, hand out accolades, etc., but it's ridiculous to hear a self-proclaimed "rabid" Bear fan tie a loss to his story line...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #14
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
If last year taught me anything it is that I will believe it when I see him officially retire.

Part of me cannot help but wonder if a team like Jacksonville, an otherwise good team, who could use an upgrade at QB won't offer Brett a ton of cash to try and load up for a run at the Super Bowl next year.
He is still under contract with the Packers though isnt he? They were saying last night he still has 4 years left with the Packers, but of course you cant really believe everything they always say.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road
Default The Great Favre retires??

After watching that game last night the feeling in the air seemed to be that Favre will be throwing in the towel and retiring. I had thought that he would definitely be back next season in hopes to make a play off run and possibly even make it to the SB. But after seeing how emotional he was there was a sense of finality to it all. I LOVE Favre I think he is the best QB in the game. Next season will be truly sad with out the great Favre playing. So is it really over???