Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #61
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Taylor Bennett's performance just begs the question as to how Reggie Ball held the starting job as long as he did. If Calvin Johnson does the unthinkable and comes back for another year Georgia Tech could be a team to keep an eye on next year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #62
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

USC looked really good. But, then again, that secondary was atrocious in the Ohio State game for Michigan and was certainly a known weakness heading in.

Boise time. Probably the team I'm rooting for the most outside of Penn State this Bowl season.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #63
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, USC looked really good in the second half. Carroll may be the best when it comes to making halftime adjustments.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #64
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

Hard to believe that half the people in America thought Michigan deserved another shot at Ohio State. I am glad we won't have to listen to anymore of that hogwash about never knowing....and what if.....

The 2 best teams are set to play and the only one that would have any other claim to it would be Boise St. if they keep wooping up on OU like they are now.

Last edited by The Pirate Bob; 01-01-2007 at 10:22 PM.
The Pirate Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #65
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

that game was amazing.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #66
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

That was the greatest game I've ever seen.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #67
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I loved the 4th and 18 play and the 2 point conversion. Amazing game...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #68
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I think it was. Oh man. That was crazy.

Ian Johnson just proposed to his girlfriend as well. This is, well, unreal, very fun, wild and wow...what a game.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:19 AM   #69
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

I'm not one for hyperbole, but I seriously think that was the greatest game ever. I'm sure the media (i.e. ESPN) will have a field day with that topic tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #70
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

The reason I no longer am a fan of college football as much as I was is that it is solely based on opinion. Often these opinions are flat out wrong.

1) I personally was of the opinion that the SEC was the best conference. I now see that I was wrong after two head to head losses against the big 10. The SEC is the deepest conference because they have a greater number of good teams but that does not make them the best conference.

2) Michigan is NOT the 2nd best team in the country and did not deserve to be in the title game. No matter how many sports pundits or people on this message board say it, that does not make it so. Michigan may not even be a top 5 team after all is said and done.

3) There is nothing that shows me that Boise State is not as good as OSU, Florida, USC, etc. The whole thing is just people's opinions that say that their conference or whatever excuse you may use is not good enough to put them with the "big boys". What I saw was a physical team with speed and skill. Oklahoma was a bad call away from being in the championship argument and Boise dominated most of the game. They are the second best team and should be playing OSU.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #71
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

What Conference would you consider better than the SEC, though? As much as I'd like to say hey, great, the Big Ten is going to go 3-0 against the SEC, they're the best Conference...I don't think you can avoid the depth issue.

As for point 3...I think this Boise win seals that there is going to be a playoff.

Quote:
The reason I no longer am a fan of college football as much as I was is that it is solely based on opinion. Often these opinions are flat out wrong.
I don't know, this is one of the things I have always LOVED about college football. I had a lot of good Wisconsin debates with folks this year, although never got buckeye to stoop to one, and was way off on that. I don't think I'd put them top five, but certainly a much better team than I ever had them at. (I originally though 3-4 losses in the SEC...1-2 is probably right after today, they really did a number on Arkansas' run game and Arkansas rarely was able to get into a rhythm.) I don't know, I've always felt that as long as folks are OK with being wrong, then something built on opinion, even if things never get solved 100% isn't quite so bad.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 01-02-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #72
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I've never seen such a wild, exciting finish. Good for Boise St. Nobody can take away 13-0...ever. That's whats great about college football. People will be talking about that game fifteen years from now. Boise jumps out to a huge lead, Oklahoma storms back...and converts a 2 pt. conversion to tie the game--they had to run the conversion THREE TIMES! Then, Boise gets the ball back for one last chance to win it before overtime and they throw a pick that gets returned for a touchdown! Then, after getting the ball back, they complete a couple passes, and then a huge play featuring a backyard hook and ladder that goes for a long distance score with seven seconds left! Overtime, and Adrien Petterson runs for a 25 yard score on the first play. Uh oh, its over...no! Boise drives down for the score, and decides to go for the win and attempt a 2 point conversion...and they decide to run A STATUE OF LIBERTY PLAY! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!! AND IT WORKS! Wow.

**** playoffs.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #73
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road

Thnak goodness USC pummeled Michigan. I too, was tired of hearing how MIchigan should be playing Ohio State in the National Championship. Ohio State had beat them and I am soo happy that Michigan did not get another shot at it. Florida got that spot and deservedly so!

Last edited by NYG Babe 28; 01-02-2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: typo
NYG Babe 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #74
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
I'm not one for hyperbole, but I seriously think that was the greatest game ever.
I was thinking that too, and I'm not prone to hyperbole either. It's at least the greatest game I've ever seen, and I've seen thousands of games just like all of you...including Hail Flutie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid View Post
I've never seen such a wild, exciting finish. Good for Boise St. Nobody can take away 13-0...ever. That's whats great about college football. People will be talking about that game fifteen years from now. Boise jumps out to a huge lead, Oklahoma storms back...and converts a 2 pt. conversion to tie the game--they had to run the conversion THREE TIMES! Then, Boise gets the ball back for one last chance to win it before overtime and they throw a pick that gets returned for a touchdown! Then, after getting the ball back, they complete a couple passes, and then a huge play featuring a backyard hook and ladder that goes for a long distance score with seven seconds left! Overtime, and Adrien Petterson runs for a 25 yard score on the first play. Uh oh, its over...no! Boise drives down for the score, and decides to go for the win and attempt a 2 point conversion...and they decide to run A STATUE OF LIBERTY PLAY! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!! AND IT WORKS! Wow.
AND that third attempt at a 2-pointer for Oklahoma capped a comeback that saw them down 28-10 midway through the third. AND on that Statue of Liberty play, the QB handed the ball to the RB behind his back with his non-throwing hand while faking the pass with his thowing hand. AND the hook-and-ladder that tied the game came on 4th and 18 from the 50. AND Boise's OT touchdown - a fullback pass to the tight end - also came on fourth down. AND the RB who scored the winning TD proposed to his girlfriend right there when the sideline guy was interviewing him, and burst into tears when she accepted.

I mean, Jesus effing Christ, that was ridiculous! RUE it if you missed this game.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 AM   #75
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Funny you mention that last caveat Kevin. I tuned in and out of the game for awhile. I mean, BSU looked like they had all the momentum at halftime. I check back in for the 4th when BSU is leading 28-20... and the rest is history.