Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #91
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant
Spider Man 2 at #5? I accept T2 a bit, even though I didn't much like it....but Spider Man 2 was pretty crappy.
#5 is certainly high for Spider-Man 2, but it is one of the least offensive entries on the list. Personally, I could do without X2: X-Men United. Also, Die Hard: With a Vengeance is far better than Die Hard 2, and I thought last year's Rocky Balboa was better than Rocky II.

I have to say, althought I haven't seen them, I am surprised none of the Harry Potter sequels made the list.

A couple of movies I would have considered would have been Back to the Future II, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Shrek 2.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #92
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Seraphim Falls
Directed by David Von Ancken
Written by David Von Ancken and Abby Everett Jaques
Starring Xander Berkeley, Pierce Brosnan, Angie Harmon, Anjelica Huston, Liam Neeson, Michael Wincott and Shannon Zeller

John Hillcoat's 2006 Australian-Western The Proposition starred Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone in the best western film in well-over a decade. A compelling and well-acted movie, The Proposition was a refreshing change of pace in the crowded environment of indie-dramas. Now with the release of this year's equally engaging Seraphim Falls from first-time feature film director David Von Ancken, we may be seeing a revitalization of a forgotten genre.

Gideon (Pierce Brosnan) is a grizzly-looking trapper who gets shot in the arm in the woods by would-be assailant Carver (Liam Neeson). Gideon manages to elude capture though, fleeing through the cold, wintry wilderness. Gideon stumbles upon a log cabin where a young woman named Charlotte (Shannon Zeller) nurses his wounds and provides him with a place to relax, but Carver and his gang of hunters remain hot on Gideon's tail, as they follow his foot-prints in the snow and his blood-stained trail.

It turns out Gideon is an ex-Union Captain who three years ago during the Civil War ordered the house of Confederate Colonel Carver be burned to the ground because of his lack of cooperation. But Gideon's actions unintentionally resulted in the death of Carver's wife and baby, both of whom were accidentally left inside of the burning home. In a vengeful move, Carver has now placed a bounty on Gideon's head with hopes of being able to exact some revenge.

Unlike most modern-day westerns, Seraphim Falls is light on the action and delves more heavily into the characters and the hunt, in a similar manner to that of John Ford's The Searchers. Von Ancken's picture has a great awarness about itself, holding your attention with its gorgeous photography and an intriguing pace, centering around the gradual self-discovery among two complex characters who could have easily fallen into overused good guy-bad guy roles.

Pierce Brosnan (The Matador, After the Sunset) turns in the best-performance of his career as the suppressed Gideon. Brosnan's gritty and emotional work was a joy to watch following his disappointing seven-year run as James Bond. Neeson (Batman Begins, Kingdom of Heaven) is not quite as strong, as he plays the spiteful Carver oddly subdued. Xander Berkeley (Fracture, North Country), Angie Harmon (Fun with Dick and Jane, Agent Cody Banks) and Anjelica Huston (Material Girls, Art School Confidential) all make small appearances in the film, but none of their contributions add much to the overall story.

The movie does suffer a bit from some lazy writing from first-time screenwriters Von Ancken and Abby Everett Jaques, with artificial dialogue and occasions of exposition where important elements are just spoken instead of shown. And Seraphim Falls eventually loses steam, as it starts struggling with finding a satisfying conclusion.

An early-year release that will inevitably get lost in the shuffle at year's end, Seraphim Falls is a solidly-crafted genre piece sure to appease fans.

***/****

Upcoming Movie Reviews:
Shrek the Third, Georgia Rule, Delta Farce and The Breed

Last edited by tobynosker; 05-18-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #93
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
#5 is certainly high for Spider-Man 2, but it is one of the least offensive entries on the list. Personally, I could do without X2: X-Men United. Also, Die Hard: With a Vengeance is far better than Die Hard 2, and I thought last year's Rocky Balboa was better than Rocky II.

I have to say, althought I haven't seen them, I am surprised none of the Harry Potter sequels made the list.

A couple of movies I would have considered would have been Back to the Future II, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Shrek 2.
The Prisoner of Azkaban was on the list at #15, Toby.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #94
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
The Prisoner of Azkaban was on the list at #15, Toby.
You are right. I don't know how I missed that. Good catch...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #95
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Shrek the Third
Directed by Raman Hui and Chris Miller
Written by Howard Gould, Jeffrey Price, Peter S. Seaman and Jon Zack
Starring Julie Andrews, Antonio Banderas, John Cleese, Cameron Diaz, Rupert Everett, Eric Idle, Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy and Justin Timberlake

2001's Academy Award winning animated flick Shrek told the story of an ogre looking to regain his swamp land by bringing the beautiful princess Fiona to the dastardly Lord Farquaad, only to find that he has instead fallen in love with the princess. The 2004 follow-up film Shrek 2 received two Academy Award nominations and featured newlyweds Shrek and Fiona paying a visit to Fiona's parents, only to have their marriage nearly torn apart by a mean-spirited Fairy Godmother who desperately wanted to see Fiona marry Prince Charming. The sharp-witted films became critical darlings and grossed over $700 million combined. The franchise continues with the release of Shrek the Third, which will be another box-office success, but lands in theaters as a comedic dud.

Princess Fiona's (Cameron Diaz) father King Harold (John Cleese) has passed away, leaving Fiona's husband Shrek (Mike Meyers) next in-line to become the King of Far Far Away. Shrek is noticeably reluctant towards become the new King, as he desperately wants to return to his swamp land, so he and his pals Donkey (Eddie Murphy) and Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas) decide to recruit Fiona's high school social outcast of a cousin King Arthur (Justin Timberlake).

While Shrek and his friends begin their journey towards convincing the disinclined Arthur to become the new King, Princess Fiona is at home with family and friends preparing for the birth of her and Shrek's first child. But Prince Charming (Rupert Everett) unexpectedly returns to Far Far Away land and eventually overtakes the King's castle, with plans to finally kill Shrek once he returns.

Unable to land an appropriate comedic or emotional punch, Shrek the Third pales in comparison to its predecessors. The original Shrek was fresh, funny and was presented with a unique emotional charm. Shrek 2 lacked the same sweet and heartfelt nature delivered in the first film, but found ways to still make a witty film for kids and adults, specifically with great attention payed to the movie's numerous amusing characters. Shrek the Third brings back those same characters, while adding in a couple of new ones, but the loveable and absorbing qualities are now virtually nonexistent.

The movie's plot and narrative are extremely thin, and the film monotonously moves along through sporadic laughs and very little story or character development. The trilogy's once refreshing take on the typical fairy tale structure has moderately lost its appeal, and this picture aims incredibly low in comedic value with several jokes sure to make the kiddies giggle and the adults groan. In fact, Shrek the Third feels like the type of movie that the previous two installments in the series would have openly lampooned.

The overall look of the film is of course enjoyable to witness, and Donkey and Puss in Boots once again manage to sneak-in a couple of lines that even the adults can't help but smirk at. And while most of the returning characters feel stale, newcomer King Arthur and the mockery of John Hughes-like teen comedies that ensues from his introduction stands-out as one of the few original highlights in the course of the movie.

An enjoyable but disappointing movie that will fail to meet exceedingly high-expectations, Shrek the Third treads already chartered waters while offering audiences nothing new or exciting.

*.5/****

Upcoming Movie Reviews:
Georgia Rule, Delta Farce, The Breed and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #96
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I sure did enjoy A Night in the Museum with Ben Stiller. Very funny and full of action.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #97
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256
I sure did enjoy A Night in the Museum with Ben Stiller. Very funny and full of action.
It wasn't as funny as it probably should have been, but Night at the Museum was a fun family film that actually had some impressive visual effects for such a light-hearted movie.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #98
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

How in the hell do you have time to see all these movies?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #99
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
How in the hell do you have time to see all these movies?
A couple of ways...

I am on the road quite a bit doing high school and college play-by-play, so I will usually stay the night out of town and hit up a theatre in whatever community I am in to help pass time.

During this time of the year my workload is decreased because I don't have any high school or college sports to do play-by-play for (although, I do have a state high school track meet to attend this weekend), so after I finish my daily sports reports and the sports talk show, I have the rest of the day to catch a movie or two.

I try to at least watch one movie a day, although it doesn't always work. And going to the theatre is one of my favorite things to do, because I can turn my cell phone off, things are dark and quiet and it makes for an easy and enjoyable way to waste a couple of hours.

It looks like I do have a problem, though. I have seen over 130 movies this year alone, 46 of which were released in 2007.

Maybe they have a support group I can join...

Last edited by tobynosker; 05-22-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #100
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Georgia Rule
Directed by Gary Marshall
Written by Marc Andrus
Starring Hector Elizondo, Cary Elwes, Jane Fonda, Zachary Gordon, Garrett Hedlund, Felicity Huffman, Lindsay Lohan, Dylan McLaughlin and Dermot Mulroney

Despite her negative image in the media, Lindsay Lohan is a remarkable young actress who first made audiences take notice in the fun and refreshing teen comedy Mean Girls. Lohan has stumbled a bit in subsequent adolescently-geared projects like Herbie: Fully Loaded and Just My Luck, but she has also successfully separated herself from her teen queen image by taking on supporting roles in Robert Altman's A Prairie Home Companion and Emilio Estevez's Bobby. Lohan continues her dramatic turn in director Gary Marshall's latest film Georgia Rule.

Lohan stars as Rachel, a reckless teenager sent by her mother Lilly (Felicity Huffman) and stepfather Arnold (Cary Elwes) to live with her grandmother Georgia (Jane Fonda) in a small-town in Idaho for the summer before her freshman year of college. Rachel immediately begins her visit on the wrong foot, foolishly seducing the ignorant and innocent Mormon boy Harlan (Garrett Hedlund), and dropping an unexpected bombshell in a conversation with her new boss, local veterinarian Simon (Dermot Mulroney).

Rachel disposes of the fact that she has been sexually abused by her stepfather Arnold since she was twelve-years old, which shocks and worries her grandmother Georgia. Georgia alerts Rachel's unaware mother Lilly about the ongoing abuse, but Lilly has a hard time trusting her wild child based on Rachel's careless behavior over the years.

Georgia Rule sparked a ton of media attention in the summer of 2006 when Morgan Creek Productions CEO James G. Robinson's warning letter to Lohan about her discourteous, irresponsible and unprofessional conduct on the set of the movie was endangering the quality of the picture. Yet Lohan, who was recently named the hottest woman in the world by Maxim magazine, turns in the best performance in the film and the best performance of her young career.

Certain elements in the movie seem catered to Lohan's heedless and well-publicized lifestyle, but Lindsay's ability to change from facetious to angry and then to vulnerable is striking, and her performance stands-out as one of the better female performances so far in 2007. In only her second-film in sixteen-years, Fonda's work as Georgia is much better suited for her style and her age than her absurd performance in 2005's Monster-in-Law, while Huffman's (Transamerica, TV's Desperate Housewives) character is oftentimes clownish and the weakest of the bunch.

The supporting characters are also enjoyable to watch, but they feel underdeveloped and hackneyed in Mark Andrus' (Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Life as a House) insipid script. And despite the strong acting, director Marshall (The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, Raising Helen) struggles trying to find an adequate tone for the movie, with many of the comedic moments intended to offset the dramatic turns ultimately falling flat.

A dramedy about three generations of women and their relationships with each other, Georgia Rule is a corny made-for-Lifetime movie that is partially saved through the casting of its stars Fonda, Huffman and Lohan.

**/****

Upcoming Movie Reviews:
The Breed, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and The Messengers
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #101
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

The Breed
Directed by Nicholas Mastandrea
Written by Robert Conte and Peter Martin Wortmann
Starring Hill Harper, Oliver Hudson, Eric Lively, Taryn Manning and Michelle Rodriguez

Considered to be one of the greatest horror film directors of all-time, Wes Craven helmed countless genre favorites like the original The Hills Have Eyes, Nightmare on Elm Street and Swamp Thing. Craven and writer Kevin Williamson were also the driving force behind the recent decade-long resurgence in horror movies with their 1996 hit Scream. But the 67-year old Craven has also found his name attached to the some of the worst horror films of the last few years, including Dracula 2000, Feast and this year's unintentionally-funny flick The Breed.

The story follows John (Oliver Hudson) and his younger brother Matt (Eric Lively), along with three of their college-aged pals, who decide to spend a weekend vacation on a remote island at a log cabin where their deceased uncle used to live. The friends spend most of their time lounging around on the island, catching some much needed rest and relaxation, before vacationer Sara (Taryn Manning) is bitten by an unprovoked stray dog.

While attending to her wound, Matt recalls a story about a compound a mile from the cabin that used to train attack dogs, only to be forced into closing down because of a rabies outbreak. Soon, Matt and his friends find themselves trapped in the log cabin that has quickly become surrounded by numerous rabid dogs, with all five desperate to find their way back home before they are all viciously and fatally attacked.

Brought to the big-screen by first-time director Nicholas Mastandrea, The Breed is an unfocused and disjointed film. A former associate producer and assistant director on a number of recent Wes Craven movies, Mastandrea's hideous directing along with Robert Conte and Peter Martin Wortmann's (Who's Harry Crumb?) shoddy script and Giulio Biccari's shabby cinematography all amount to one of the more deeply flawed scare flicks of all-time.

The action sequences involving the dogs are very comical, with the canines in The Breed proving to be less frightful than the beast on the other side of the fence in the kiddie-flick The Sandlot. None of the characters in the movie are truly developed and therefore are unlikeable as your typical frat boys and sorority sisters who spend the majority of their time soaking up the sun while guzzling extreme amounts of alcohol and discussing only trite sexual scenarios.

Michelle Rodriguez (BloodRayne, TV's Lost) is the only actor in the film that possesses any type of screen presence, but is underutilized and is placed in too many preposterous situations. Manning (A Lot Like Love, Hustle & Flow) also suffers from a lack of development, with her character Sara only recognizable for her whiny nature. Hudson (Black Christmas, TV's Dawson's Creek), Lively (TV's The L Word) and Hill Harper all trade off one-liners and turn in equally hammy performances.

An ill-conceived film from start to finish, The Breed is an embarrasing picture that offers nothing new for fans of the horror movie genre.

1/2-a-star/****

Upcoming Movie Reviews:
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Hannibal Rising, Knocked Up and The Messengers
Old 05-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #102
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

Just saw Pirates this weekend and am interested to see whether you'll give it 1 or 2 stars. Personally, I was disappointed. I was hoping it would turn out more like Star Wars in terms of the original trilogy, with 1 being great, the second being the worst and the 3rd being the best, but IMO it was pretty drawn out and lacking.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #103
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Wait... you think Return of the Jedi was the best Star Wars?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #104
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13
Just saw Pirates this weekend and am interested to see whether you'll give it 1 or 2 stars. Personally, I was disappointed. I was hoping it would turn out more like Star Wars in terms of the original trilogy, with 1 being great, the second being the worst and the 3rd being the best, but IMO it was pretty drawn out and lacking.
Actually, I gave Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End three-stars. I hope to have a review up later today, but I agree that the film was drawn-out and slightly disappointing, but it still had a lot to enjoy. I think Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was better than the second film, but still inferior to the first in the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Randal Graves: "Which did you like better? Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back?"
Dante Hicks: "Empire."
Randal Graves: "Blasphemy."
Dante Hicks: "Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets."
Old 05-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #105
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
Definetely..

The confrontation between Vader and Luke...Vader turning on the emporer, Yoda dies, Luke finally evolves from annoying twat to a Jedi, Luke learns that Leah is his sister...etc

It was the movie where everything came together :thumbup: