Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant
Just another example of why I don't listen to the radio, at least not for music
This is why you are starting to see more JACK-FM stations throughout the country, which play a mix of 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s hits with some current Hot AC songs, with the slogan "Playing What We Want."

The stations operate like a jukebox (very few have any on-air personalities) and are a way to combat the growing trend of iPods and satellite radios by offering up a wide-ranging playlist for free on the radio, but even they fall into the trap of having to put into rotation the most overplayed current tunes in order to attract the interest of today's young listeners (a format like that is geared towards 18-40 year old women).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #18
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I still don't understand why anyone would prefer that over their own iPod. My car ('07 Civic) has an iPod jack built right in. It's easier to plug in my iPod than it is to mess with the radio.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I still don't understand why anyone would prefer that over their own iPod. My car ('07 Civic) has an iPod jack built right in. It's easier to plug in my iPod than it is to mess with the radio.
I don't know that anyone would prefer JACK-FM stations to their very own iPod, but this is just the mindframe that station general manager's use when looking to create the "anti-radio" radio station. I also think this format will never take off like many expect, because they have entirely eliminated the local feel of the stations by almost entirely removing all on-air personalities.

For radio stations to succeed against iPods, illegal downloading and satellite radios, they have to bring to you things that are local (LOCAL, LOCAL, LOCAL) that you won't be able to find anywhere else.

At the two radio stations that I work for, we have an AM-Oldies station that also contains four, full-length daily newscasts featuring only local news, hour-long local talk shows seven-days-a-week, play-by-play for local high school and community college sporting events, and two local, full-length sports talk shows (we also are a Kansas State sports affiliate).

On our FM station (which is a Hot AC format, and plays the Carrie Underwood song that inspired this thread), we do not air a single national public service announcement, and only air PSAs that have been produced locally and focus on integral local community organizations (Big Brothers-Big Sisters, area food banks, Court Appointed Special Advocates, etc.). We also air hourly community events featuring local voices for the over 70-mile radius that our 100,000 watt station covers, remote broadcasts at several community festivals, we work together with numerous chamber of commerces' on different events and activities, and we also pay to bring to town the national disc jockeys from our satellite provider twice a year.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #20
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Is this English, and if so, is there a sentence that someone could write for me so I can undersand what happened here?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Is this English, and if so, is there a sentence that someone could write for me so I can undersand what happened here?
:lol::lol: Buckeye, you're too funny!!!

Alex is talking about an iPod, which is a small music (and other media) device invented by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs (actually, truth be told, it was probably invented by other techies employed by Apple). You can download music from the internet directly on to the device. You can also take your existing Pearl Jam CDs and loan them onto the device, too. I own two of them, and they are really quite cool......
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #22
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

How appropriate:

ld:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #23
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

all the whippersnappers have em, grandpa!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #24
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Even though I LOATHE this song along with everyone else, I really do like Joe's cover of it:

Joe - "Before I Cheat"

"Mariah karaoke..." made my laugh!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #25
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Carrie can sing whatever she wants. I think she's a gorgeous woman!!
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote