Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Indianapolis Crushes New Orleans Saints

Boy the Saints didn't even act like they were interested in playing.

I can't believe their coach didn't have them prepared for this game. That really stuck out for me.

It seemed their heads were back in New Orleans or on their personal problems at home. Wow 41-10!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Much bigger margin of victory than I expected. Payton must be pissed at himself for allowing them to go into the game that unprepared. Either that, or the Indy defense is going to be much better than expected this year :lol:
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
Much bigger margin of victory than I expected. Payton must be pissed at himself for allowing them to go into the game that unprepared. Either that, or the Indy defense is going to be much better than expected this year :lol:
indy defense looked darn good, i was really surprised. unless NO is having some offensive issues, but indy was on lockdown.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don't know about that last touchdown though.

Would a team coached by Tom Landry or Don Shula have done that?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Tom Landry no for sure.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

But Bill Walsh would have.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
Montrovant
Hatecarver

I'm curious if this is more of that 'running up the score' talk I've seen since that game? I watched it from beginning to end, and it certainly didn't seem to me like that was the case in any way.

Also, I'd like to point out that in 1966 alone, Dallas won 2 games by over 40 points. So there's a Landry-coached team that didn't let up on the scoring when they had a big lead. And Shula, coaching the Colts in 1964, won a game by a 52-0 margin. I'd guess, considering the success of those 2 coaches, that I could find plenty of other examples of their teams really blowing away the competition.

It would take more time than I'm willing to spend right now to find out how many games that either man coached might have had their team score that late in the game with a big lead.

If you were NOT talking about running up the score (or that Giordano should have run out of bounds or just fallen down when he got the INT) then I have no clue what you mean, and ignore all that I just typed
Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Just because a team won by 40 or 52 points doesn't mean there was any rubbing it in going on. For example, how much time was there left in the game when the final points in those games were scored? And was it a one-yard run or an 80-yard pass?

If I were Sean Payton I would have refused to shake hands with Dungy after the game; I would have turned and ran through the tunnel and left Dungy just standing there. Either that, or at the absolute least I would have made some disapproving remark at the post-game press conference, to the effect that Dungy must really care about the polls, or something like that.

It was totally unprofessional, and totally uncalled for. When the Colts travel to New Orleans in 2011, you can bet the Saints will remember what happened.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-09-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Just goes to show how week the NFC is IMO. Saints are team pretty much picked to win the NFC and they got worked!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wow, the Saints looked like anything but a Super Bowl contender in that game and the Colts looked every bit the best team in football right now. Something just tells me that this is a sign of things to come for the Saints this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 AM   #11
Montrovant
Hatecarver

I still disagree Anthony. I would be more inclined to agree with your thoughts if it were an offensive score. I think it's different with a defensive return of a turnover. I feel I've seen the same type of thing many times late in a game, where a defensive player tries to score off a turnover despite the game effectively being over. Most of the time I think they just fail to do so.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

GilbertArenas is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I must admit I too was pretty disapointed with the Saints performance. I expected more out of them, especially Reggie Bush. But, I think he will bounce back in Week 2 against the Bucs. Last year against the Bucs, Reggie scored his first career touchdown while also pulling in a career-high 11 catches. Look for Sean Peyton to get the ball to Reggie early and often, and look for the Saints to continue their dominance over Tampa Bay.

Is anyone a big Reggie fan like me? I just saw this video with him and David Beckham... It’s pretty sweet. Reggie seems like a cool dude. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/user/FutbolmeetsFootball
Old 09-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertArenas View Post
Is anyone a big Reggie fan like me? I just saw this video with him and David Beckham... Itís pretty sweet. Reggie seems like a cool dude. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/user/FutbolmeetsFootball

To be honest I cannot help but feel like the persona we see on TV is quite different than how he is behind the scenes. I just cannot help but feel like he has just a touch of a sense of entitlement.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote