Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road
Default Niners 1-0!

I know there are a couple 'frisco fans in here. I am excited for this season, but san fran better start taking some shots on offense. They did nothing against arizona until the last drive. Leinart still needs some work, he looks scared out there.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Didn't watch the game (no cable) but both offenses looked pretty bad based on the stats. I think the niners will get it together more on offense....I'm actually a bit more concerned with the defense right now. More specifically, the run defense. Has Arizona improved a lot over last year, or did Edge get too many easy yards?

Still, a win is a win, 1-0, better than half the league today! :thumbsup2:
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, the Niners are a nice team on the rise. Still a year away from the playoffs, IMO, but you never know in the NFC. I'm glad Alex Smith wasn't a bust after a rough start. I love Mike Nolan dressing in a suit. Are they ever going to get a new stadium? They still play in an old baseball one, it seems so dated. (Random thoughts.)
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... I confess to sleeping through the third quarter and about half of the fourth, but I saw the end of the game, and the first half, and I'd half to say I think Alex Smith is NOT making any progress at all. He'd throw the ball into empty space for no apparent reason all game long. There's such a thing as throwing the ball away, and then there's just not having any accuracy at all.

Smith won't even be in the league, I'm betting, in three years. He's an affront to the game, imo.

Not that Leinart was any better, but he shows promise. He rarely threw to empty green field.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

This game is a textbook example of why "value" matters: Playing at home, in the opening week of the season, against a team they finished two games ahead of the year before, the 49ers should have been favored by 4 1/2 or 5 points instead of 3; when they actually won by 3, it meant a push for those who bet on San Francisco instead of the loss they should have suffered.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Well, here we are at a deceiving 0-2. Niners get a ugly win, but it was on the road at St. Louis which is nice. Some thoughts:

Alex Smith was mentioned as an affront to the game. I think that's drastic. I do wish he would have progressed more, but he's still behind a marginal line. He had some bad passes in both games, and the offense is struggling. Still, he looks great in the last 2 minutes (there's a niners QB for ya). One of the things that gives me hope is that he is very mobile and has great scrambles, a la young or garcia, again just like a niners QB. I give him more time because of new receivers he needs to mesh with, and vernon davis needs to get open a bit more. I think he will keep getting better.

Gore is having a quiet start. He helped the niners make waves with his breakouts the past couple years. We will need him to be a little more electric to help out. He had a great long run against STL that showed he still has it.

Nolan actually got fired up for the win. Loved it. Their defense actually looks decent. They made positive acquisitions for the secondary. The main thing they need is more offense, but already beating Arizona and STL, and seattle losing, they are off to a good start.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Starting 2-0 with 2 division wins certainly gives a little bit of a time cushion to improve
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I'll comment more later... but I'm happy about the 9ers. I guess I have a soft spot for them. Growing up I idolized Joe Montana (like most kids) so I guess part of me always liked the 49ers. Its nice to see them get some wins, confidence, ect.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately they will lose in week 3.