Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Why is Les Miles

Why is Les Miles being considered for the Michigan job IF Carr gets axed? I understand he's from Ohio and went to Michigan but c'mon.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...260.xml&coll=1

I don't think he's done anything that spectacular. He went 28-21 at Ok State (while being completely out-coached by Tressel in the Alamo Bowl), has never won a conference title and is still winning with Nick Saban's players...for the most part.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Why is Les Miles being considered for the Michigan job IF Carr gets axed? I understand he's from Ohio and went to Michigan but c'mon.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...260.xml&coll=1

I don't think he's done anything that spectacular. He went 28-21 at Ok State (while being completely out-coached by Tressel in the Alamo Bowl), has never won a conference title and is still winning with Nick Saban's players...for the most part.
Who would be their other choice? Jim Harbaugh???? Don't they always hire from within, so to speak?
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
Who would be their other choice? Jim Harbaugh???? Don't they always hire from within, so to speak?
Well, it was Ron English's job if he wanted it after Carr retired but I doubt the D-coordinator who has overseen this debacle will get the love now.

They could go with Bo Pellini, the D-Coordinator under Miles. He's from Ohio and has Big Ten roots. They don't always hire from within the state of Michigan but you have to be from Big Ten country. Bo Schembechler went to OSU and was from the Akron area. Les is from the Clevleand area and went to UM. Pellini is from my hometown of Youngstown and went to Ohio State.

Let's face it: LSU lost 2 games last year in which they gave up 23 and 7 points. So far this year they've allowed only one TD. Pellini is carrying that team...just like he did at Oklahoma. Look where they've been defensively the last two years after he left. Actually, Pellini should have got the Nebraska job over Callahan.

Current O-line coach Andy Moeller is another guy to look at. He's the son of former coach Gary Moeller.

I just don't see Michigan getting a guy who has been out of the loop so long in Big Ten country and who has been in the SEC for 2 years.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 09-11-2007 at 04:40 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I sort of doubt they will put anyone on the current staff in the HC position. It'll be a total house cleaning.

I'd completely agree that Miles is overrated. He still has a ton of talent leftover from the previous coach's tenure.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Just wait until Michigan loses to Notre Dame, then Carr might as well put his house on the market. Yeah, Miles hasn't done much yet, but I sort of think if he was good enough for LSU (and has success there as he's had so far), he'll be good enough for Michigan, coupled with his roots there.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Really, who else is Michigan going to go after? They're not looking for an up-and-comer from the MAC to rebuild with, they want someone who can make an instant turnaround from what could very easily be a bowl-less season. There are a few other major national candidates (Jeff Tedford and Kirk Ferentz come to mind) but they're all long shots outside of Miles.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Everyone wants to talk about Les Miles being a good coach and everything, but half the coaches in the NCAA could be successful coaching with that type of talent. With the talent they bring in each year, they should be in the hunt for playing in the national championship, and they really havent been in that hunt since their championship in 03 i think it was. They always seem to figure out how to screw up a couple games on their schedule and drop out of the race. Thats all fine and dandy, but thats just like Mack Brown was before Vince Young won the national championship for him back in 05. Lets face it, if it wasnt for Vince Young, Mack never wins the championship and he doesnt stay around as long as he has. Vince bought Mack Brown an extension, not his coaching ability.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I don't believe Les is going anywhere soon.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

it sounds like the media created the whole les miles thing anyway. and miles has said he doesn't want to be called or contacted about it. (at least during the season). everything coming out of AA seems to suggest ron english is on the short short short list if carr goes.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Michigan would do itself much better, if they went to Arlington National Cemetery and dig up former president, Gerald Ford to coach next season than to hire that no talent hack at LSU, Lost Miles. The Bo curse continues if Miles is hired to replace Lloyd Carr. A great number of light earthquakes will be felt throughout Ann Harbor only to find out later it was Bo Schembechler rollin in his grave. Michigan may have to go outside the Bighouse to find a repalcement.