Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 08-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default UConn's Title Hopes Take a Hit

UConn's title aspirations took a huge hit yesterday when starting PG Marcus Williams, regarded by many as one of the top PGs in the country, was suspended indefinitely and faces four counts of third-degree larceny, which carries up to five years in prision, for his alleged role in the theft of four laptop computers. A. J. Price, expected to play a major role on next year's team after missing last season due to a brain hemorrhage, has been suspended as well due to his alleged involvement and backup PG Antonio Kellogg was expelled from school last srping after being charged with marijuana possession and assaulting an officer. This leaves UConn pretty thin in the backcourt for the upcoming season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2136021
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

As Rome said, what is up with this? Why would athletes actually steal computers from the real students, to type papers and do work? Puh-lease, they'd get more use out of stealing things they'd actually use, like XBoxes and iPods.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
BlueBaron
Sports Enthusiast

BlueBaron is on a distinguished road

I hope it was worth it... Why would anyone be so stupid? Losing Williams is really going to hurt UConn for sure.
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

I believe the telling phrase here was "real students" by doublee. I've read different numbers, but by most accounts, only 2-3 percent of college hoops players end up with legnthy NBA careers. After the Huggins debate, can there be any doubt? Lack of character is a major problem in NCAA Men's hoops. Draw your own conclusions as to why.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Lack of character also seems to be a growing cancer in UConn over the past few years: Khalid El-Amin, Villanueva, Williams, Kellog, Price, the assistant coach getting arrested...
Old 10-09-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

What did El-Amin and Villanueva ever do? I would replace those two with the three football player getting arrested for shooting someone. Its been a disaster for Uconn I just hope the program lives of the legacy of the 5 superstars they've had (and one more in Rudy Gay), and not the recent mishaps. The program seems to be in good shape with a top 5 team this year (as Williams will almost def. be back for Big East Play), a top 3 recruiting class next year (far behind Ohio State but tied with UNC), and the program bieng the top school and OJ Mayo's and Bill Walker's list for 2007. These blemishes have looked realy bad and I hope Calhoun puts the character and integrity the program had for 15 years previous.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

Its amazing Okafor made it out of there with such class and good, honest work ethics. At least so far. It seems character does not matter in any sport anymore. I think part of the problem is the fans who defend athletes just because their good at a sport and do not care what kind of a person they are. But that is just a small part of the problem though. Coaches will do anything to win, they have to or they won't have a job so they push character aside as well. But probably most of all it's the money or the potential for money that does it. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It is what Villanueva didn't do that was the problem with him. He never got into any real trouble but he just didn't seem to care if his team won or not and was just marking time until he got drafted and never put forth any real effort. Being a character guy involves more than just staying out of jail.

El-Amin got busted for possession.