Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Should Reid Pull the Plug on McNabb?

I see where McNabb is probably out for this weekend's game against the Giants and without him they will be hard pressed to win that game. With that said a loss to the Giants puts them three behind the Giants and ends any real hopes of getting to the playoffs. Given that due to his injury McNabb goes through stretches during games where he is completely ineffective and he cannot make a lot of throws he can when he is healthy. I am thinking that it may be time for Reid to pull the plug on McNabb's season, tell him to go have his surgery and look to getting healthy for next season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I think if they do lose to the Giants, then McNabb should be put on ice for next year.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Rest McNabb, let the man get a break and start healing his injuries. The Eagles aren't going anywhere this season, with or without Donovan.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's sad watching McNabb hobble around with no real weapons. You hate to say it, but don't you think T.O. is getting satification knowing how much the team needs him? They are a playoff team with him, and average without.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 AM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

McNabb needs to shut it down. it's over for the 05 Eagles. the Super Bowl Jynx AND the Madden cover curse strikes all in one year!
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:39 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

A loss to the Giants would not only drop the Eagles to 4-6, but would also give them at least one loss to all three division rivals, and make them 0-4 within the division and 1-5 within the conference (remember that they have already played all four of their out-of-conference games, and won three of them).

So yes, they should pull the plug on McNabb's season; and if they want to keep him healthy for next year (and beyond), they will spare no expense and move heaven and earth next spring to land a genuine #1 receiver.

Randy Moss leaves the Vikings, and Daunte Culpepper doesn't make it through the season; T.O. "leaves" the Eagles, and Donovan McNabb doesn't make it through the season.

There's a lesson in there someplace.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Explain to me how Moss keeps Culpepper from getting his knee shredded. Culpepper not making it through the year has more to do with his o-line being beat up this year more than anything not having Randy Moss around. What exactly has Moss done to make the Raiders a better team this year? Last I checked the Raiders were at the bottom of the AFC West.

I still say the Eagles are right there in the mix of the NFC East with or without TO if McNabb had stayed completely healthy this year. He goes through too many stretches during games where the offense just sputters because he stiffens up and cannot get any real zip on the ball. They lost the Denver game primarily due to McNabb not getting warmed up until the second quarter and he never got going in the first Dallas game. They lucked out the KC game when it took him until the end of the half to hit his stride.

This Monday's loss should not have occurred. I cannot concieve of how you throw call a pass play on second down when you are trying to run time off the clock and have been able to pretty much run at will on the Cowboys all night long. Geeze, they have 180 yards and were averaging 5 yards a carry and they are throwing the ball.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
Anthony

To answer your question, doublee: Many analysts - most notably Terry Bradshaw - speak of "blitz control," in the context of how a speedy receiver discourages opponents from blitzing, since if the blitz is picked up it can very often mean six immediate points.

The injuries are starting to pile up for McNabb, especially late in the season (1999 and 2002 for example - and notice how he did not get hurt at any time last year). If they don't get him another deep threat in time for next season he will be out of football within three or four years.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-17-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
lance21
Sports Enthusiast

lance21 is on a distinguished road
Default ??????

I dont know, very tough call. The Eagles season is at a ****shoot at best to make the playoffs so Reid could easily let McNabb heal and be 100% for '06 and maybe use the high draft pick on a salty WR or D-lineman. On the extreme otherhand, letting McNabb sit for the rest of the year would piss alot of Philly fans off, not exactly the kindest fans anyway, and that town, and especially that coach, do not like the idea of losing not only because of the year they had last year, but you know they want to do as well as they can to stick it to certain ***got WR whos suspended.
lance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well the doctors are telling McNabb he needs to go ahead and get the surgery now. So we will see what happens.

I don't see the DL as a huge need for the Eagles right now. Rookie Trent Cole is starting to come on and has 9 tackles and 3 sacks in the last three games and Mike Patterson has been very good in the middle. Plus Jevon Kearse is still thereand Hollis Thomas and Darwin Walker have been solid as well. The Eagles are pretty well set for the time being on the d-line.

What they need more than anything else on defense is some LBs who can make plays on the outside. Dhani Jones is solid against the run but he gives them nothing on pass defense. Keith Adams is solid against the run as well but again gives little on pass defense. It is a somewhat telling stat when Trotter has more sacks (1) and pass breakups (8) than your OLBs combined and Trotter rarely plays in passing situations. On top of that Adams and Jones have just one INT between them. Not to mention Trotter's knees may not hold up that much longer. They need to get a LB who can blitz off the edge on occasion and cover backs and TEs and make some plays out there.

I'd love for them to get an A. J. Hawk or DeMeco Ryans but they will probably be gone by the time the Eagles pick so possibly a Chad Greenway or D'Qwell Jackson.

As for recievers I don't know that there is going to be anyone in the 10-15 range, which is where I think they may end up, worth taking at that time. Derek Hagan is the only one in the senior class that gets any real mention. Of course a lot of that depends on who comes out but the draft looks a little thin at wideout at this stage.

An o-lineman may be an option as well. Runyan and Thomas are getting long in the tooth and if they could get a quality guy in the first round they may have to look at that as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 AM   #11
Anthony

If the Eagles do lose to the Giants this Sunday they would be absolute fools not to have McNabb go in for the surgery right away.

But their prospects for fixing their wide-receiver problem in time for next season appear very bleak, as the free-agent class of 2006 at the position is very thin, headed by Reggie Wayne (too slow to fill T.O.'s shoes) and Antwaan Randle El (too small for Andy Reid's liking). So the draft would appear to be the only potential way they could do it - and with their recent (and even not-so-recent) track record with rookie receivers, it looks like 2003 - if not, indeed, 1998 - all over again for the Eagles' passing game, until at least 2007.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am not so down on the Eagles prospects at reciever next year. It remains to be seen what Brown and Lewis can do with a healthy QB throwing to them. Granted, neither one of them is in the class of a TO or Randy Moss but I still think they can bring more to the table than the Pinkston/Thrash tandem of the pre-TO days. Also, L. J. Smith is much more of a threat to make plays at TE than Chad Lewis ever was.

Besides Randle-El's lack of size I fail to see where he really provides a significant upgrade to what they have now except for maybe in the speed category. He hasn't exactly stepped up and had the breakout year some thought he would have without Burress around. Reggie Wayne's a nice player, but I'd say he benefits more from the offense he is in and having Harrison opposite him and Manning as his QB. I don't see where he is necessarily a significant upgrade over Brown or Lewis either.

Free agency is not necessarily out of the question. Remember Muhsin Muhammad was released because the Panthers didn't want to take the cap hit his roster bonus would have generated. Given that TO was due a significant roster bonus next February or March there was always more than a remote possibility that he was going to be released anyway. There is always the possibility that a quality wideout comes available due to a cap strapped team not being able to afford keeping them.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #13
Anthony

Reggie Brown's 40 time is about the same as that of Dane Looker and Ricky Proehl! Hence he provides no blitz control whatsoever - and neither does Greg Lewis (even slower than Brown at 4.6 in the 40).

And while you could be right about someone getting released somewhere for cap reasons, doublee, that's not a principle on which to depend: What if the Eagles take the chance that will happen after June 1st, don't draft a wide receiver in any of the early rounds in April, and then it doesn't happen? In that case they will be stuck in the same situation they're in now - and have been in for the past 30+ years except for last season (but I do agree - neither Randle El nor Wayne would provide the upgrade the Eagles need at the position).

Then again it can be argued that Donovan McNabb is the problem here: After all, it is his fragile, over-sensitive ego that is why the Eagles are in this predicament to begin with. It looks increasingly as if McNabb would do better elsewhere - probably in some small market like Green Bay (if Brett Favre does decide to retire) or Tennessee (if Steve McNair is through after this season - a definite possibility).

Last edited by Anthony; 11-20-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yes he should.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Oh My God! Fragile over-sensitive ego? If his ego were so fragile and over-sensitive he never, ever would have achieved what he has in the NFL. He would have been buried the day he got drafted and Philly fans booed him out of the building. Or, when they were calling him a bum after a so-so starts during his rookie season. Or, when Limbaugh called him out as a fraud a couple of years back on ESPN. Over the course of his career McNabb has taken a ton of crticism from everyone and has always managed to persevere.

If anyone has the fragile over-sensitive ego in this case it is TO. He is the one who has to get paid otherwise it is a shot at his manhood if other recievers are making more than him. He is the one who got pissy when the team said they could win without him after he got hurt last year. Owens is the guy who thought he was bigger than the team itself and without him the Eagles are nothing. He is the one who went out of his way to lay the Super Bowl loss on McNabb's shoulders in the offseason. Terrell's huge ego is what likely drove him to play in the Super Bowl. Given what has happened the past several months who can we not assume he didn't play in the Super Bowl with the idea of a payoff in the end?

Seriously, if McNabb's ego was so over-sensitive then Owens never would have stepped on the field this season. Donovan was willing to work with Owens and play ball. TO just could not keep his fat mouth shut. How much crap is McNabb expected to take before enough is enough?

Also, if Brown and Lewis are as pedistrian as you suggest how is that they seem to be contributing their share of big plays since Owens got booted? One thing all of the TO apologists tend to conveniently neglect when picking up the torch for TO is that the team has never won a postseason game with him on the field. They rolled through the Falcons and Vikings with little to no problems last year in the playoffs without him.