Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road
Default We Are Penn State!!!!

WAHOO!!! Congrats to the Nittany Lions pummeling the Ten. Volunteers. Most everyone had thought that would never be possible but they pulled off the win for Joepa beating the 17th ranked team!! Who dat ??? It's the BIG TEN BABY!!!! Our division is always underestimated.... but the Big Ten is tearing up the Bowl games!

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by NYG Babe 28; 01-02-2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: typo
NYG Babe 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

RavenPoe is on a distinguished road

Yeah Baby! Woo Hoo! That was almost as bad as the spanking we laid on the Vols in 94, the year we were robbed of the national championship.
RavenPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but the Big Ten is tearing up the Bowl games!
Seriously?

Signed,

Iowa, MINNESOTA, Purdue, miiiiiiiiichigan
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seriously?

Signed,

Iowa, MINNESOTA, Purdue, miiiiiiiiichigan
LOL. how soon people forget, there are more than 4 teams in the big ten!

sidenote: purdue just looked terrible in their bowl game. tear-uh-bull.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Well...the silver lining in Minnesota's loss is that it got rid of Mason. Thank God. There isn't any reason why Minnesota can't compete at the level of Wisconsin every year.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Well...the silver lining in Minnesota's loss is that it got rid of Mason. Thank God. There isn't any reason why Minnesota can't compete at the level of Wisconsin every year.
Minnesota's program is nowhere near Wisconsin right now. Unless Minnesota finds their Barry Alvarez, I wouldn't count on them doing any better than they did under Mason.

Wisconsin is on the verge of being a national contender every year. They have a shot at landing two big time stud recruits out of Wisconsin and have a shot at winning the Big Ten next year (of course they earn no points in my book for backing out of their game with Virginia Tech). Minnesota is a middle of the road program that is a decent Ron Zook coaching job away from being knocked down another peg.

Make or break hire for Minnesota. They're already going down for a few years. If they could get Larry Coker, things could change in Minneapolis a little faster. But if they go with the standard middle of the road hire, they'll have some rough times. Not exactly the best way to drum up some support for the program with a brand new stadium on the horizon.

RavenPoe- Penn State beat Tennessee in the '94 Citrus Bowl, finishing the 1993 season. The 12-0 season in '94 was capped off with the Rose Bowl win over Oregon.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin' Alex. Minny ain't up there with Wisconsin and they should be.

They got the new stadium coming. Both schools are located in states with roughly the same population, same demographics, and both have one major urban center (Milwaukee for Wisc. and Minneapolis-St. Paul for Minnesota). Both are culturally similar...it's just what you said: they need to find their Alvarez. With the way they've been buyin' coaches out...there ain't any reason why this school shouldn't be able to hire a quality man for the job.

Dungy says he ain't the man...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717747

I like the quality of the first man...let's keep 'em coming.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Too bad Brian Kelly already left Central Michigan for Cincinnati. I think he could've been a good hire for them.

Minnesota needs to decide whether they want the quick fix or a guy, like Alvarez, who will be there for the long haul and won't leave when a better opportunity comes along. I'm sure they could throw enough money at Coker or Frank Solich to turn the program around in a hurry but I wouldn't count on either one being there long term.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

If we're talking Minnesota head coaches, I think the name at the top of the list should be Ron English. I know he took a beating against USC yesterday and against Ohio State as well, but he was handicapped with an awful secondary on an otherwise solid defense. USC and OSU were both good enough to exploit that enough to make them look silly, but I think English is still a solid head coach candidate.

Brian Kelly, I don't think he'd be successful in the Big Ten in the long haul. His playbook is ripe with hope-they-miss-tackles plays and that just doesn't fly in the Big Ten like it does in the MAC.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote