Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 04-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kansas bans picketing of funerals to protest homosexuality...

TOPEKA, Kansas The governor of Kansas signed a law Thursday barring protesters from funerals in an attempt to curtail a fundamentalist church that pickets military funerals, claiming the deaths are God's punishment for homosexuality.

However, the legislation has the legal novelty of not taking effect until the Kansas Supreme Court or a federal court upholds it as constitutional.

Legislators added that provision to lessen concerns that the Rev. Fred Phelps and his followers would file a legal challenge, win and collect attorney fees from the state.

"It's disgraceful for anyone to try and disrupt a funeral," Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said during a Statehouse ceremony. "It is unfortunate this reprehensible practice has been exported to other states."

The members of Westboro Baptist Church, a small fundamentalist congregation in Topeka, picket burials of U.S. troops killed in combat. They say those deaths are God's punishment for a nation that harbors homosexuals, and maintain that their protests are a form of religious expression protected by the U.S. Constitution.

Phelps and his followers have conducted anti-homosexual protests since 1991 but gained national attention and generated outrage throughout the United States when they started showing up at funerals for troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

At least 32 states have enacted laws restricting funeral protests, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The new Kansas law says protesters cannot be within 150 feet of a funeral one hour before, during or two hours after the end of the service. Violators would face up to a $1,000 fine and six months in jail. Sebelius said she's confident the law will withstand court scrutiny.

But Shirley Phelps-Roper, the church's attorney, called the new law "absolutely worthless." She said the group has protested about 260 funerals in the past 21 months in 42 states.

"Their law fell so painfully short of hitting any mark. It accomplishes exactly nothing," said Phelps-Roper, who is Fred Phelps' daughter.

"We are always more than 300 feet from the funeral site and always leave before the funeral starts," said Phelps-Roper. "There is nothing about the law that has anything to do with us."

The legislation also makes it unlawful to obstruct any public street or sidewalk and allows family members to sue if they feel protesters defamed the deceased an exception to the general rule of law that one cannot libel or slander the dead.

At the bill's signing, Sebelius was surrounded by about 50 members of the Patriot Guard, clad in black leather. The group of motorcyclists demonstrate against Phelps and his church, forming a human shield between families and picketers.

Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265622,00.html

We'll see what happens the next time the group plans to protest.

Free speech/religion and protected by the Constitution?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Anything that works to prevent fundamentalists from speading their hate is a good thing.

I normally disagree with things that happen in Kansas, but they got it right this time. Fundamentalist Christians are very dangerous for our country.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh
I normally disagree with things that happen in Kansas
As a proud Kansan (?), I would like to know what things you disagree with that happen in Kansas?
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Ugh!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
As a proud Kansan (?), I would like to know what things you disagree with that happen in Kansas?
Check out this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_the_Matter_with_Kansas%3F

I really don't know that much about Kansas, I just know that it is one of the most conservative, and fundamentalists Christian states in the US.

I'm sure the Metropolitan areas are as "hip" and liberal as most, but the majority of the state is the heart of the "bible belt."

Think Fresh.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

You are going to base your dislike of the state of Kansas around a book that I am sure you haven't read, and was written by a hardcore liberal?

I have met Thomas Frank and have read his book, and I can tell you that Frank spent the majority of his life in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area and has very little understanding of life in rural Western Kansas (actually, life anywhere west of Topeka).

Kansas is far from one of the most fundamentalist Christian states in America, and that should be evident from recent elections of Democratic Governor Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Paul Morrison, who defeated the highly conservative, Bill O'Reilly-backed Phil Kline in November.

Don't let the 1999 decision by the Kansas Board of Education to eliminate the theory of evoulation from the classroom fool you, as that decision is far from indicative of the people in the state.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
You are going to base your dislike of the state of Kansas around a book that I am sure you haven't read, and was written by a hardcore liberal?
When did I say I dislike the state of Kansas? I said usually I don't agree with their politics, but I'm sure the people of Kansas are great people.

I have read the book by the way, and that is not the only thing I am basing my opinion on.

Quote:
Don't let the 1999 decision by the Kansas Board of Education to eliminate the theory of evoulation from the classroom fool you, as that decision is far from indicative of the people in the state.
It seems that every time I hear about some anti-women's-rights (pro-life) group it happens in Kansas. Anytime there is a "question" about evolution it seems to come out of Kansas.

Again, I am not saying that the state of Kansas is the worst in the nation, or even anything about the people of the sate. I am just saying that there are obviously some very strong fundamentalist Christians in the state. People aren't just making all this stuff up are they?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
It seems that every time I hear about some anti-women's-rights (pro-life) group it happens in Kansas.
You mean like when the Ohio legislature cut over $1 million in funding in a 2004 budget amendment from Planned Parenthood affiliates and rerouted the taxpayers money to local health departments that do not perform abortions?

Maybe you were talking about Bob Taft signing House Bill 239 that declared the state of Ohio's preference for childbirth over abortion and prohibits the use of public funding to subsidize abortion for poor women?

But, there is also the possibility you were talking about the "Choose Life" license plates in Ohio where twenty dollars from the sale of the plates go to a Choose Life Fund that distributes money to private, non-profit groups that support adoption, and makes an agency that mentions abortion as an option inelligble for funding.

The only pro-life groups you hear about are from Kansas? I doubt it.

I just thought your statement "I normally disagree with things that happen in Kansas" was pretty foolish and absurd.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
I just thought your statement "I normally disagree with things that happen in Kansas" was pretty foolish and absurd.
Why? Kansas is a red state through and through. They are one of the most religious states in the country, whether you acknowledge this or not. I am an anti-religion liberal, why would it be foolish and absurd for me to say that I disagree with their politics most of the time, it is completely true.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Kansas is a red state through and through. They are one of the most religious states in the country...
I disagree with this completely.

You can't be a red state through and through if you re-elect a Democratic Governor, and then elect a Democratic Attorney General to replace a conservate attorney general who went on an unexpected religious crusade while in office.

Why are they one of the most religious states in the country?

Quote:
why would it be foolish and absurd for me to say that I disagree with their politics most of the time
Because it's foolish and absurd to make a broad generalization about a state whose politics you don't follow closely enough to make a substantiated judgment on.

EDIT: An article you may appreciate CK!

Last edited by tobynosker; 04-13-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
I disagree with this completely
Take a look at the percent of Kansas population that voted for Bush.

Kansas has not supported a Democratic presidential candidate since 1964,when Lyndon B. Johnson won the state's electoral vote, and Republican candidates have carried Kansas in every election except one since 1940. In 2004, George W. Bush won the state's 6 electoral votes by an overwhelming margin of 25 percentage points with 62% of the vote. The only two counties to support Democrat John Kerry were Wyandotte, which contains Kansas City, and Douglas, which contains the college town of Lawrence.
That is what I call a red state through and through.

I don't know how to explain the democratic victories on the state level.

On the national radar, they vote heavily on the conservative side.

Since the 1960s, Kansas has grown more socially conservative. The 1990s brought new restrictions on abortion, the defeat of prominent Democrats, including Dan Glickman, and the Kansas State Board of Education's 1999 decision to eliminate the theory of evolution from the state teaching standards, a decision that was later reversed.[13] In 2005, voters accepted a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. The next year, the state passed a law setting a minimum age for marriage at 15 years. [14]

Kansas is considered to be one of the most Republican states in the nation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas#State_law

Think Fresh.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Fresh, have you ever been to Kansas? Or are you basing your opinion on only the news that comes out of Kansas?
Kansas is a very fine place to live and their decisions are theirs to make. Disagree with any you wish, but please do not attempt to lump the entire state into a category to fit your opinion, OK?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, have you ever been to Kansas? Or are you basing your opinion on only the news that comes out of Kansas?
Kansas is a very fine place to live and their decisions are theirs to make. Disagree with any you wish, but please do not attempt to lump the entire state into a category to fit your opinion, OK?
Once again, I am not insulting the people of Kansas. I am stating a fact.

They vote on national level as republican as any other state.

What is wrong with my claim? Did I say, all people in Kansas are conservative? No. I stated a fact, and backed it up with source.

Please explain where I lumped the people of Kansas together in a category?

Or is what I saying worse than saying "California is very liberal?"

Please stop insulting me, or expect a minor infraction.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

My original statement was, "I normally disagree with things that happen in Kansas."

So now I can not state that I disagree with the politics of a certain state?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

You can say that, but to make a statement of that sort can be considered insulting considering that you have never been to the state in question. Perhaps you should go for a visit. Kansas is a nice place.
How did I insult you? And be specific.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote