Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Finals: Cavaliers vs. Spurs

Should be a great series. A lot of people are crowning the Spurs already, but I suggest you wait and see. The Cavs supposedly had "no chance" agains the Pistons, and won that series fairly easily in 6 games. What are your thoughts. I think it goes 7 games.

The Cavs and Spurs split the series this season, so they seem to be a fairly good match-up.

Here's a link that breaks down the key match-ups....

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/feature...rs_070604.html

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

I stand corrected...

Cavs are 2-0 against the Spurs this season...

They beat the SPurs by 7 in San Antonio...

Cavs win, in 7.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I will be interested in how San Antonio reacts after so much time off, but I still think the Spurs have to be heavily-favored to win the series. They are a more solid and experienced ballclub that matches-up very well with Cleveland at nearly every position on the floor, and they have the ability to go much deeper off their bench.

Cleveland was impressive at moments, and certainly rose to the challenge in beating Detroit, but the Pistons also emotionally decayed right before our eyes in the Eastern Conference Finals. I also think that the regular season results mean very little for a team like the Spurs, because their attention is always focued on winning another title, while Cleveland enters the playoffs with the hope of advancing to the next-round.

While I am rooting for the Cavs and I would love to see an interesting series develop, I am going to predict San Antonio winning the title in five games.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

I think you are in the majority in that opinion. Keep in mind, the Cavs have the size to stack up with the Spurs. THey have 3 big men that all play solid defense. The Cavs are a solid defensive team all the way around. I think the Spurs will find it difficult to score.

I think this series will go back an forth. The Cavs can win, but Lebron will need ONE performance like he had in game 5 against the Pistons. If he can take over ONE game in San Antonio, that could be the difference.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh
I think this series will go back an forth. The Cavs can win, but Lebron will need ONE performance like he had in game 5 against the Pistons.
LeBron James will have to earn that performance, because a more physical and aggressive defensive team like San Antonio won't allow James to simply walk to the basket at free-will late in the game or in an overtime like Detroit allowed him to.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

The interesting matchup will be Ilgauskas vs Timmy (at least I think that's the expected matchup - I don't know much about basketball)
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
LeBron James will have to earn that performance, because a more physical and aggressive defensive team like San Antonio won't allow James to simply walk to the basket at free-will late in the game or in an overtime like Detroit allowed him to.
To be honest Toby, I think that is bull ****. The Pistons are a great defensive team. They didn't allow anything. LeBron simply took over. I don't think the "all-NBA defensive team" could have stopped him that night.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
The interesting matchup will be Ilgauskas vs Timmy (at least I think that's the expected matchup - I don't know much about basketball)
I think you will see a combination of people playing Duncan. Anderson V. will get some time on Duncan and Drew Gooden should play him as well. I expect a lot of double teams and guards coming from the backside for the strip.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

I think Zydrunas Ilgauskas will be a big factor in this series for Cleveland, and I think the Spurs will have a tough time keeping him off the offensive glass.

Since Ilguaskas is not the best passer in the world, I would love to see San Antonio double-team him once he gets the ball in the paint, so he doesn't establish any sort of offensive rhythm and his production is forced to come from tip-ins and rebounds.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

A few predictions for the series:

- It will be among the lowest-rated NBA Finals of all-time. LeBron does not garner big ratings. Any who thinks otherwise is foolish.
- The officiating (depending on the who's crewing) may be the worse ever. If Danny Crawford is the head ref it'll be fine. Salvatore or Jabbie... basketball is screwed.
- van Gundy and Jackson cement their status as the worst analysts in sports. Tim McCarver and Billy Packer think they're terrible.
- The over-under on shots of Eva Longoria is 25.

Now onto the actuals games lol.

- LeBron should average his usual numbers (30/7/7). He should have one or maybe two games where he imposes his will, but the Spurs have such a such strong man-to-man defense (something Detroit sorely lacked) that it'll be hard to be on all the time.
- Daniel Gibson comes down to Earth. It's ridiculous to think he'll perform at that insane level and have that many open shots/free throws. Still he should get double-points in every game.
- Going with the Gibson point, Larry Hughes should see (and deservedly so) decreased minutes.
- No one on Cleveland can consistently guard Duncan. Z would have the best shot but he'll cover Oberto often. Z might also get into foul trouble if Parker and Ginobli get into the lane. Gooden is a good defender, but we'll talking about maybe the best FC ever. Varejao... yea... next.
- Gibson vs. Parker will be an interesting matchup.

I see the Spurs winning in 5. A big reason Cleveland won is due to Detroit's maddening tendency to run zone defense (Flip Saunders School of Flimsy D). Because that leaves no block-out assignments the Cavs obtained second- and third-chances often. San Antonio is not only better than Detroit defensively, but they operate mostly man-to-man. More rebounds = less chances for LeBron. Also, Flip was dead-set on his offensive attack and never made any adjustments until game 6 (bringing in Flip Murray and Lindsay Hunter). The Spurs have a versatile offense that ranges from uptempo (like against the Suns) to ugly-ass half court sets (i.e. Eastern Conference style).

If none of that convinces you San Antonio will win the championship, consider this: since 1987 the head coaches who have the Larry O'Brien Trophy have been Pat Riley, Chuck Daly, Phil Jackson, Rudy Tomjanovich, Gregg "Two g's" Popovich and Larry Brown. In other words for the last twenty years only the game's elite coaches have won it all. An average coach like Mike Brown isn't joining that group.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
- It will be among the lowest-rated NBA Finals of all-time. LeBron does not garner big ratings. Any who thinks otherwise is foolish.
I won't argue this point, other than to say that I think a lot of the television rating problems for the NBA during both the playoffs and the finals stems from the fact that there will be 46 days between the start of the playoffs and the opening tip to the NBA Finals. 46 days is way too long, and this league is not exciting nor intriguing enough to capture the attention of general, non-NBA sports fans and hold it for two months.

Plus, while the SuperBowl is the most watched American sporting event and the World Series is considered America's pastime, the NBA is struggling in the ratings and has recent history of being represented in the Finals by the bland San Antonio Spurs, who are also a small-market club.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Yea, an 82-game schedule and an extended playoffs certainly doesn't help. It was only five years ago when the Lakers were getting 14 ratings in the Finals. The LA-Philly series was a great combination of large markets, superstars and drama (the Lakers being the Lakers).

I think San Antonio is the 28th-smallest NBA market. I don't know about Cleveland but it's certainly not NYC.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
It was only five years ago when the Lakers were getting 14 ratings in the Finals. The LA-Philly series was a great combination of large markets, superstars and drama (the Lakers being the Lakers).
Plus, Allen Iverson and the 76ers were able to win game number one in Los Angeles, which surprised a lot of people.

The worst thing that could happen to the television ratings in this Finals would be for San Antonio to win both games at home, and either game by a considerable margin.

Oh, and the over-under shots of Longoria? Was that number just for game number one? Because, if that is for the series, I would go much higher!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
It will be among the lowest-rated NBA Finals of all-time. LeBron does not garner big ratings. Any who thinks otherwise is foolish.
Call me foolish then.... When this series goes to game 7 because Lebron has another great performance in game 6, forcing a game 7, the NBA will become very popular again.

I expect high ratings...

Quote:
Varejao... yea... next.
Huh? Varejao is there best defender.

Quote:
A big reason Cleveland won is due to Detroit's maddening tendency to run zone defense (Flip Saunders School of Flimsy D). Because that leaves no block-out assignments the Cavs obtained second- and third-chances often. San Antonio is not only better than Detroit defensively, but they operate mostly man-to-man. More rebounds = less chances for LeBron.
Man-to-man = less chances for Lebron? Huh? Man-to-man get's eaten up by LeBron. They simply spread the court and he takes his man to the hole, if anyone helps, Lebron dishes for the easy assist. Man-to-man might mean less chances for Z, or Gooden, but DEFINATELY more opportunity for Bron to score.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Spurs in six. They won't let Daniel Gibson get open threes or LeBron run freely to the basket. The Cavs won two games last series by kind of fluke things: LeBron going superhuman and Gibson unable to miss anything. That said, I am pulling for the Cavs. I think the Spurs are a bunch of thugs, especially Bowen.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote