Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Big Ten squeakin' by week #2

The Big Ten looked vulnerable but managed to win most of its games.

Northwestern 36 Nevada 31: I was hopin' for a better performance by the Cats on this one considering the beating Nevada took at Nebraska last week. It took a 4th quarter rally for NW to take the Wolfpack down in Evanston. The Cats had only 26 rushing attempts for the game.

Michigan State 28 BGSU 17: Another game where the Big Ten had to come from behind to get the victory. Hoyer threw 2 INTs and the MSU backs couldn't break any big plays.

Wisconsin 20 UNLV 13: This one was a huge scare. The Badgers had to come from behind and put up 11 4th quarter points to get the win in Vegas. Wisky gave up 258 yards thru the air. That ain't gonna cut it. Once again we see a team go out of region and struggle.

Minnesota 41 Miami (Ohio) 35: Once again the Gophers went to OT against a MAC school. I'm just grateful they won this time. Minnesota gave up 418 passing yards. Outrageous.

Ohio State 20 Akron 2: The defense for OSU showed up forcing Akron to 13 straight 3 and outs but the offense looked horrible. Todd Boeckman threw 2 INTs that may have been the worst decisions by a QB I've ever seen. The offensive line isn't worthy to wear the uniform.

Purdue 52 Eastern Illinois 6: It was a I-AA team but you gotta like the Purdue offense over the first 2 weeks. 52 PPG with QB Curtis Painter throwing 10 TDs/0 INTs in that span.

Illinois 21 Western Illinois 0: Good defensive output by the Illini allowing only 152 yards to a I-AA school. Still, they gave up 40 points last week. QB Juice Williams isn't progressing. I think his eye injury is still an issue.

Indiana 37 Western Michigan 27: Really good road win for the Hoosiers. They were up 34-7 and allowed the Broncos back in the game...which isn't good. QB Kellen Lewis has been a solid dual threat as a passer and runner over the first two weeks but the competition hasn't been the best in the world.

Iowa 35 Syracuse 0: I think Syracuse is really bad. Really, really, really bad. Having said that you still have to like Iowa's defense over the first two weeks allowing only 3 total points. New QB Jake Christensen looked better than last week by throwing 4 TDs.

Oregon 39 Michigan 7: We're at the point of no return here. Hart and Henne have injury issues that are worse than what we thought. Still no excuse for what has gone on in Ann Arbor this year.

Penn State 31 Notre Dame 10: Penn State has given up -1 rushing yards over the first two weeks. That's amazing. The Lions held ND to 144 total yards. Penn State's rushing attack was solid but not spectacular for most of the game except on that last drive. Kinclaw may be the answer...not Scott. Morelli disappointed me. This was his chance to make a statement and he played poorly early and only did "decent" the rest of the way. Still, it looks like the Lions are the early favorites in the Big Ten.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 09-09-2007 at 04:50 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I agree, I think Penn State has more-a-less become the default Big Ten favorite considering everyone else has had at least one game where they actually played as ugly as the score. Wisconsin's struggles were surprising. I figured they'd have some trouble putting up points this season but I didn't think it would be against UNLV. Should be interesting to see how they do against The Citadel, who won 76-0 yesterday.

Scott nor Kinlaw is the answer at running back. If anything it's redshirt frosh Evan Royster, who didn't see much, if any, action against ND. Penn State really missed Tony Hunt yesterday. That ND defense would've been beaten to a bloody pulp if Hunt was running at them in the second half. I didn't think Scott played, badly he picked up steam in the second half and was a getting some nice blasts through the line but obviously he ain't Hunt. Frankly, incoming freshmen Brandon Beachum and Michael Shaw have to be salivating right now. With Scott and Kinlaw gone and Royster apparently not going to get many carries the playing time will be there for their taking.

Square pegs into round holes. That's what Penn State is doing right now with Morelli at QB. The playbook has become a horribly twisted ineffective muddled mess made up of the 2005 Michael Robinson playbook and cookie-cutter JoePa conservative passes. It ain't working. I don't see it drastically effecting the team's chances this season (the rest of the Big Ten is lousy, PSU can get by with a dominating defense and so-so offense) but it certainly did last season. It's time to face reality, Penn State is a spread option team. That Michael Robinson-led offense was good enough to hang with any team in the country. Penn State needs another athletic QB like that. Not much of a problem we already have one- Daryll Clark. Of course Joe will never replace Morelli. He's a senior, did his time, and gets to start. This would've been so much easier if Clark replaced Robinson last year. Does anyone honestly believe Clark could be any less prepared than Morelli.

Morelli just looks so awkward out there, like he doesn't look comfortable. I watch other QB's play and they look like they belong. Heck, even when Clark or the 3rd stringer Paul Cianciolo play they looked comfortable out there. Every time I see Morelli I know some mistake is just a few plays away. I had to rag on the guy but I just don't think he's a very good QB. I don't think much of JayPa as a coach but I think he's getting way too much of blame for Morelli's shortcomings. At some point I think we just have to realize that Morelli just isn't a good QB. At least it'll be over after this season. I think either Clark or Devlin (who actually played in a pass-happy H.S. offense unlike Morelli) will give Penn State a lot more freedom on offense. To be perfectly honest I think Joe realizes Morelli isn't very good, that's why the playbook is so limited.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm worried about Ohio St playing Washington this weekend.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
I'm worried about Ohio St playing Washington this weekend.
i think ohio state comes alive and blows them out. michigan may have a tough time with ND, who the heck knows about that one. purdue is coming out of nowhere, but have also played no one at all. the most interesting angle is ohio state. with wisconsin winning a close one and michigan reeling, it could be up to them and penn state for the title. (i think it's interesting because something tells me penn state will prove more beatable than they seem.)
Old 09-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzle_810 View Post
i think ohio state comes alive and blows them out. michigan may have a tough time with ND, who the heck knows about that one. purdue is coming out of nowhere, but have also played no one at all. the most interesting angle is ohio state. with wisconsin winning a close one and michigan reeling, it could be up to them and penn state for the title. (i think it's interesting because something tells me penn state will prove more beatable than they seem.)
I don't see it. Ohio State has no reason to be confident going into Seattle while Washington knocked off a ranked Boise State team last week and looked exceptional in both of their performances so far. Ohio State's offense was pitiful against Akron. The Huskies pull this one out. This is going to be their "we're back" game just like when PSU knocked off the Buckeyes in '05.

We know nothing about Purdue other than that they can score against lousy teams, which they did last year too.

The only team that can beat Penn State is Penn State, or more specifically Penn State's offense. With Michigan falling to pieces the road schedule is a cake walk (UM, Illinois, Indiana, Temple, and MSU) and the only team to win in Happy Valley the past two years was Michigan last year with a third-year starter at QB and PSU still had a chance to pull that one out in the final minute with the third-string QB in. If Morelli turns the ball over and the offense falls apart like it did at crucial times last season then PSU is a very beatable team but if Morelli can cut down on mistakes and score a decent amount of points the defense will simply suffocate opponents. There are no great offenses in the Big Ten this year. I think if you look across the nation right now PSU probably has one of, if not the best shot at going undefeated from a talent and schedule standpoint.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I would like to see Washington go undefeated, but that is wishful thinking. Ohio St defense should be able to stop their offense today, but u never know.