Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-12-2002, 12:04 AM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default Should the Raiders Trade Tyrone Wheatley?

Now in my opinion, they shoul. He had his first 1,000 yard-season in 2000, and he barely made it. He had an injury this year, missed a bunch of games and was ineffective when he played. The reason the Raider running-game was so bad in 2001 was because they din't give Charlie Garner enough carries. Instead, they gave the ball to Wheatly and he fell after gaining two yards. I'm not saying he's not a good back, Oakland just isn't the right place for him. Over the past three seasons Oakland never really had a starting tailback. In 2000, it was Wheatley, Kaufman and Crockett. This year, Garner, Wheatley and Crockett. Garner had the most production of the three. Crockett was great in goal-line and short-yardage situations. So why do they need Wheatley? Garner has great hands and catches a lot of passes, and obviously his superb running skills, and Crockett can be their Tyrone Wheatley, except they won't use him as much. If they did that, they would be at the top of the NFL in rushing again. Tyrone Wheatley needs to go somehwere where he can be the full-time starter, and trust me, there are plenty of places he could go. Detroit, Cleveland, Houston, Carolina, Dallas, Jacksonville and Atlanta are all possibilities.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I totally agree; they might as well trade him and improve in areas they need help than keep a solid runner like him on the bench. The combo just didn't work, so they need to dump him.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road

I would what do they have to lose.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:34 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don't know how much the Raiders would get for him in a trade - the team that originally drafted him (the Giants) simply gave up on him, and he missed much of the 2001 season with injuries.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote